THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #3,121 of 3,272
You're just cherry picking to make your point. Rather than cherry pick myself, I will; just refer to the bottom line: Headphonia puts the composer on it's recommended list, even though in some ways the HD800S bested it. That is night and day different from resolves review which could be summerized as the composer is too expensive. Headphonia is obviously not saying that.
Still it seems he prefer HD800S. Both are in his recommended list.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #3,122 of 3,272
If you like bass why not try planar headphones ?
I already have the D8000 which to my ears has the best bass out there. It was my favorite for 5 years but now I actually like the composer better so my D8000 isn’t getting as much use recently.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #3,123 of 3,272
Except for symphony and most chamber music, the composer is better than the HD800S. YMMV
Fair point.
My comments only relate to what I listen to on headphones, which is almost exclusively electronic music. I sometimes forget to mention that.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #3,124 of 3,272
Fair point.
My comments only relate to what I listen to on headphones, which is almost exclusively electronic music. I sometimes forget to mention that.
For your genre of music, which I do listen to, it's definitely the composer all the way. Honestly, if I want to hear symphony, I prefer my stereo to any headphone.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #3,125 of 3,272
Still it seems he prefer HD800S. Both are in his recommended list.
Yes at the price of 1400 euro he recommends the HD800S.
At the price of 2500 euro he recommends the Composer. Do you really believe that it's a recommendation even though it is actually a less good headphone than the considerably cheaper HD800S? If you read the review carefully instead of disingenously picking out the parts that support your narrative, the author is definitely not saying he HD800 is a better headphone.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #3,126 of 3,272
It's actually worth mentioning that in my unscientific poll of friends who listened to my HD800S, SR007 and Composer, The HD800S came in third every time.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #3,127 of 3,272
Yes at the price of 1400 euro he recommends the HD800S.
At the price of 2500 euro he recommends the Composer. Do you really believe that it's a recommendation even though it is actually a less good headphone than the considerably cheaper HD800S? If you read the review carefully instead of disingenously picking out the parts that support your narrative, the author is definitely not saying he HD800 is a better headphone.
Clearly he said HD800S have better clarity and control which mean it's OBJECTIVELY a better headphone. If you like more bass, more fun than HD800S and more forward and intimate sounding headphone Composer is better. But that's SUBJECTIVE depend on listener taste.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #3,128 of 3,272
Clearly he said HD800S have better clarity and control which mean it's OBJECTIVELY a better headphone. If you like more bass, more fun than HD800S and more forward and intimate sounding headphone Composer is better. But that's SUBJECTIVE depend on listener taste.
Clarity and control are also subjective. There is no objective measure of those two. I would say the composer is equal on both of those measures compared to HD800S. I have spent more time the S than any other headphone. I listened to the composer several times a week since it came out.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #3,129 of 3,272
Problem is that this is just how subjective opinion on a potential objective property that was not measured… which makes the assessment quite subjective anyway

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #3,130 of 3,272
Clarity and control are also subjective. There is no objective measure of those two. I would say the composer is equal on both of those measures compared to HD800S. I have spent more time the S than any other headphone. I listened to the composer several times a week since it came out.
You can measure control with CSD plot.

Waterfall or C.S.D. (Cumulative Spectral Decay) plots give you SOME information about how fast the headphone stops making sound AFTER the signal has been stopped.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/csdwaterfall-spectrum/

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #3,131 of 3,272
You can measure control with CSD plot.

Waterfall or C.S.D. (Cumulative Spectral Decay) plots give you SOME information about how fast the headphone stops making sound AFTER the signal has been stopped.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/csdwaterfall-spectrum/
Yes. I wish we went back to the days of everbody measuring it. And the HD800S measures really well in that regard. But it isn't the whole story. The Susvara is one of the very best headphones I have ever heard (when properly amped) but it's CSD plot is not all that good.

But we digress. You do realize that first and formost that Austrian Audio is a pro audio focused manufacturer? There marketing is geared almost exclusively to that crowd. The Composer is obviously tuned to give you visiblity deep into the mix.

Maybe you should listen to the composer, then you can make an informed contribution to the thread.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #3,133 of 3,272
Guys, this isn't a competition and reviews are subjective. No problem prefering the Composer over the HD800s or viceversa.
Yes but cherry picking and mischaracterizing a review to fit your argument is fair game.

When chesebert gave his review after listening to the composer and preferred the HD800S, no one responded negatively.

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #3,134 of 3,272
Composer is behind 800s. for sure I listened to both. Resolve is amazing he’s like my Avatar in terms of sound. I’m glad he’s a guy who I’m 100 percent confident because he knows what good sound is(the real golden ear). and convince me to audio is amazing too because blind people have so much better hearing so 100 percent trust in this guy. pseudo reviewers or fanboys from Austria doesn’t matter but they are funny to read. It’s like Thiem. big talk but on the court bad performance.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #3,135 of 3,272
We discussed this with specific tracks earlier in the thread. No need to bore everyone by repeating it endlessly.

are you surprised? I mean...of course he's going to shill for the company he totally does not get any financial incentive from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back