The concept of soundstage is so overblown it starts to get a bit inaccurate when people recommend based on soundstage size.
Sep 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Primetime86

Aka: TheReem, Ryanetto
From lurking on forums, I have always seen soundstage as a feature in recommendations. I believe it is very unfair, A recent comment that stood out was "The k701 soundstage is huge" I own the K702 and many other headphones and the sense of soundstage is maybe  2-3cm more than say my mrspeakers mad dogs. I really don't get where the "Huge" comes from. I find any sense of stage comes from the recording, Binural recordings I rarely find a difference in distance size between headphones  they all sound 3d. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah I agree soundstage is pretty overhyped.  To me there's one major difference in headphones' sound spaciousness:  open and closed.  One sounds congested usually and the other sounds free usually.  I don't like getting into the soundstage largeness and accuracy argument.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Everything is overhyped. That's how one expresses how much different headphone x is from
headphone x.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 5
I too have a tendency to agree with the fact that it is 'overhyped'. I also agree with what a previous poster said about it being related to the distance of the drivers to your ears. I know with my SE-50, which are huge, and the drivers sit pretty far away from my ears, I feel like the soundstage is wider. Very similar to my A900's with regards to the distance from my ears.

I've read in a few places that soundstage is very much, if not mostly, due to recording techniques and of course the type of music you're talking about. A pop song, for example, might not need the expansive sound that an orchestra does, and it's evident in the recordings.

However, I'm not ruling anything out. These are just my experiences up to this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back