The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #3,826 of 21,761
Quote:
Joining the club prepro?

Yes, this is a huge thread.  I want to see what's going on in here...  Any HE-6 talk?
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,827 of 21,761
Quote:
That 2A3 with the BA's power supply sounds like it'll be quite the thing.  I'm curious, though, as to why the original rectifier would dry out components in the amp while the 2 in the BA's power supply wouldn't mess with anything in there, where there are a lot more things it seems.  That might be a dumb question, but I'm obviously new to all of this.

It's the electrolytic caps specifically.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,828 of 21,761
Yes, we've established that it was due to a design flaw.

The original Moth 2A3 design was changed in subsequent versions, and those who had the original could get it modded by having the rectifier moved to outside the chassis. For whatever reason the owner of this unit didn't get it modded, and reading his posts he never really seemed to have any issues, so I suppose he never felt the need to do it. Craig no longer has the metal punch needed to mod the 2A3 chassis directly, and rather than mess around with it, using the BA's power supply chassis instead seems like a much better alternative.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,829 of 21,761
That makes more sense, thanks MF.

I just got my Paradox from USPS but I can't listen to them right now because I'm waiting for UPS who are bringing my HD800's back.  Missing the doorbell would be a pain.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3,832 of 21,761
I have heard it, though I didn't like it as much as the GR07.

X2. I persuaded a coworker to get one after I saw kiteki rave about them.

The 07's improvements weren't worth twice the money...then again, nothing in this hobby is.

So in the end I really should try the R04 first and decide whether or not the R07 mk2 is worth twice the price of the former? How different is it?

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,836 of 21,761
Has anyone here tried the GR07 bass edition? I'm real curious.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #3,837 of 21,761
Quote:
Has anyone here tried the GR07 bass edition? I'm real curious.

I had the chance but I was really pressed for time the last time and just stuck with the mkii. I've been talking to someone who has had all GR07 iterations - from one with the hard case to the revised one with lots of tips and a soft case to bass and mkii. He said the bass edition is basically the GR07 with a bumped up midbass, and apparently that "bleeds into the mids". He told me to just stick to the mkii if I like the original GR07's sound and wanted a more refined treble.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #3,839 of 21,761
Grado is teaming up with Dolce Gabbana to offer some limited edition mahogany headphones. They look like re-badged GS1000 to me, but I'm curious if they've been tuned any differently.

Grado & Dolce Gabbana DS2012
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
MSRP: Around 1200 USD​

The PS1000 is a fairly nice headphone despite its flaws, and for a while the GS1000 intrigued me as it was supposedly more airy both sonically and in terms of its lighter physical weight. Ultimately I stayed away from them however due to reports of their sibilance. If the DS2012 is tamed somewhat in comparison, then I'd be more interested in giving it an audition.

Still, as far as fashion headphones go, this doesn't really annoy me. I'm not feeling any self-righteous nerd rage or anything of that nature. If they can enkindle some interest in audio equipment, especially among women, I think that's actually pretty cool.
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back