The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4,861 of 21,761
Quote:

Or something along those lines. A little less awkward than "I'm an obsessive ear monitor collector."

How about: "I have a thing for getting ear impressions."

That would lead to the least amount of conversation I suspect.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4,862 of 21,761
My dad came over yesterday, and tried the HD800/Zana combo. I don't think he has ever enjoyed listening to his cd's quite as much as he did on them. He's a piano "enthusiast" and listens to nothing but classical music. Usually, he prefers speakers over headphones, but the 800's may have converted him. Head-Fi claims another victim!

I hid the HD700's, as he would think I'm crazy for having more than one set of 'phones.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,863 of 21,761
Suddenly: interested in the Audio Technica ES700.

I've always been attracted to the look of the ES7 and again the ES700 grabs me, but even moreso.

Apparently it's Made in Japan, which is surprising for a headphone at this price point.

edit: Hmm, I just realised that the recept Japanese Prime Minister's announced fiscal policy has caused the Yen to devalue quite a bit against the AUD. THe ES700 can be mine for about $130 bucks plus shipping. Nghrrr.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4,864 of 21,761
Quote:
Suddenly: interested in the Audio Technica ES700.

I've always been attracted to the look of the ES7 and again the ES700 grabs me, but even moreso.

Apparently it's Made in Japan, which is surprising for a headphone at this price point.

edit: Hmm, I just realised that the recept Japanese Prime Minister's announced fiscal policy has caused the Yen to devalue quite a bit against the AUD. THe ES700 can be mine for about $130 bucks plus shipping. Nghrrr.

Mmm A ES7 but classier.......

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,865 of 21,761
Quote:
Taken from the Audio Journal Of A DigitalFreak

Sound Byte: Low Ball Loser Larry (LBLL)

I apologise for my generation 
frown.gif
If you think about it, if they breed, the end of the world is near.................

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #4,866 of 21,761
If you get those ES7s be careful with them. The plastic joints aren't the most robust.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #4,867 of 21,761
Quote:
Sounds like a veritable annoying audio Legion of Doom!

I had a scary thought myself, an idea for a new project: the 2013 Customs Calendar. The idea would involve living with a new pair of customs and writing up extensive impressions every month.

January - Heir 8.A
February - JH Audio JH16Pro
March - FitEar MH335DW
April - Canal Works CW-L05QD
May - Spiral Ears SE5-Way Reference
June - Rooth LS8
July - Rooth LS8+
August - Hidition NT6-Pro 
September - Unique Melody PP6 
October - Ultimate Ears PRM
November - Stax SR-002 w/ custom tips
December - Mystery Bespoke 10-Driver CIEM

Yeah, that's insane. But it's a fun thought.

ALL THE MONEYS

ALL OF IT

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #4,868 of 21,761
Okay... well, converting the HD800s to balanced did work. Not requiring as much gain seems to have calmed them right down. They're substantially improved and much better on the Balancing Act. While still not my favorites, they're higher on the list now.

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #4,870 of 21,761
Jan 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4,872 of 21,761
Quote:
Backporting could introduce a fair share of new bugs as well, use it with caution. Is there anything in particular you need or is it just to be bleeding edge? The best thing you could do is to pick a known-to-be-good, bigger distro that is also user-friendly and use the one that came out before the current one because most of the bugs will have been eliminated and cleaned out. Really, if stable is what you want, you would probably want to be one release behind - you'd have a much more stable experience yet having most of the goodies the new one will get. Any flavor of Ubuntu 12.04 is probably going to work well for you, just like Mint 13, Debian Squeeze and a plethora of other distros would. The older the software, the more stable it is, usually.

Oh right, when I experimented a lot with Linux a few years back, I really benefitted from using a minimal distro with mostly nothing on it.

When having a word document, music, spreadsheet and surfing the web, I could almost break the 100 MB line I wanted to break (I came down to 108 MB RAM usage IIRC) while still looking good enough with some conky eyecandy etc. This took of course time, patience and some magic linux wizardry. Also, it was very stable (probably thanks to how minimalistic I made it). You could try to install a minimal Ubuntu although there are many minimal options for you to play around with. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Just go from there and install all you need, and tweak it along the way. That'll greatly benefit your netbook. Also, be prepared that you may need an ethernet port as minimal CDs rarely comes with wi-fi drivers.

Really, it's not hard to do. Look up what software you want and need, apt-get install them, and aptitude/apt-get will take care of package dependancy and other stuff for you.

I'll try to see how good I can make it now through a virtual box. I'll keep you posted on what I did as well as provide a nice screenshot for you.

Just installed openbox (apparently it comes with lxde, you might want to try fluxbox with tint2 instead - could be a bit more lightweight), xorg (actually this is the one I first installed), abiword, midori, gedit (for a nice, functional, lightweight text editor that is graphical instead of command line), htop (this you will want to have), and guake for a great terminal emulator and last but not least lxdm if you wish to login graphically. You could scratch that and login via command line and just use startx to get to your desktop environment. With nothing started as you can see I use 65 MB RAM. With Abiword and Midori with a few tabs open, Head-fi for instance, it goes up to 139.

From here you just build on it.

This is a LOT better way to learn about linux than just installing a fully fledged distro. Also, this is a LOT easier than doing a linux from scratch and so on. This is sort of a middle ground between newb-friendly and quite advanced. Also, you get your system just the way you want it to be, and it's pretty darned lightweight even for a netbook with very limited hardware capabilities. When I had my 10" EEE I preferred this method a lot over the conventional ubuntu netbook editions and easy peasy linuxes and their derivatives that builds upon the somewhat RAM heavy Gnome environment.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

That is a great page that explains most of what you want, but it adds things you don't need, like a login manager (it isn't that hard to login textually and just start X server by typing startx).

Happy linuxing :)

BTW. This is how my linux looks now, LOL, a memory hog. But on my desktop RAM isn't exactly a rarity, so I haven't even cared about doing anything other than adding new DEs to try them out. Meaning, I have a lot of redundant stuff on it. I might just have to do a minimal install on it this weekend and start from scratch instead.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I've been playing with the ubuntu 12.4 minimal install on my desktop with VirtualBox for a few days, in an effort to take everything in and learn as much as I can. I've got to say I'm really enjoying the proccess. it really is a great way to really learn what linux is all about.

At this point I'm not really sure what interfaces I'm going to stick with yet, so in the meantime I've been using Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinnamon 32-bit on my netbook via a persistent live usb image, because it comes with gnome default -compared to Nadia which only lets you use Cinnamon on a live usb.

The adaptability of being able to move my work and personalized computing environment to any hardware is really convenient. Makes my school work so much easier when I can come home and move it to the desktop without Steam staring me in the face (>=.=)>

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #4,873 of 21,761

I decided to play around with my iPhone's camera for the first time tonight. I'm impressed, The crappy little camera sensor on it takes far better pics then my cheapo point and shoot

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4,874 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back