The discovery thread!
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #55,906 of 104,111
I will continue with my review next weekend and hopefully be done then.

Right now I think it is an iem that I can recommend to bassheads. Not so much for everyone else. Since even I find the sub-bass (rumble) to be a too much...
Slightly below average technicalities for the price it is at, except the soundstage which I do find to be holographic due to big width and depth.

I think the FH3 is a safer rec though, slightly better technicalities (except soundstage) and a much cleaner sound overall that is also less fatiguing (that rumble and the super heavy weight are pretty big dealbreaker for comfort, as I can only use it for an hour). Although the coherency and timbre are very impressive on the OH10, very Sony-like actually.
I beg to differ on two occassions: Soundstage Depth and Coherence.

Soundstage Depth was definitely less than what I am used to. Even Penon Fan had more depth. But less width.
Highs were a bit too sharp, grainy, and out of balance w.r.t rest of the spectrum.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #55,907 of 104,111
I beg to differ on two occassions: Soundstage Depth and Coherence.

Soundstage Depth was definitely less than what I am used to. Even Penon Fan had more depth. But less width.
Highs were a bit too sharp, grainy, and out of balance w.r.t rest of the spectrum.
Treble sharpness is present on some tracks, not all for me. The grain however is more present because of the 2,5-4k area.

Soundstage depth is better than the FH3 and is the reason it has a holographic effect. (having recessed mids also helps with the soundstage.)

Coherency is excellent because the timbre between the DD and BA are very similar from bass to treble.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #55,908 of 104,111
Well. I'm going to change the subject and I'm going to link you to my latest review, about some IEMS that I really, really liked. They are the Rose Qt9 Mk2.
Here you have my humble opinion about them and remember that colours are for different tastes, in this case, the great amount of IEMS that we can enjoy...

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rose-qt-9-mk2.25044/reviews#review-25668

Rose QT9 MK2 34_r.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #55,909 of 104,111
Apr 11, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #55,910 of 104,111
Apr 11, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #55,912 of 104,111
Your opinion was a 'review', I was referring to :) Really like the way these look and would buy them for electronic music, would you say they would be fit for that? :)
I have to confess that most of the music I listen to is electronic music, more of the weird kind. Although I like a lot of IDM, ambient, electro, dub, deep house, drum&bass, some jungle... I grew up musically with all that in the 90's and in Barcelona there is one of the most famous electronic music festivals, Sonar.
That's why I consider myself a Bass-Lover, I can't conceive IEMS without a good bass response and, in case they don't have it, I'll always miss them. But not everything is bass in music and I must say that my taste is getting more and more refined. That's why I like these Rose so much.
Yes, they are good for electronic music and for many other things. But don't expect bass cannons, and don't expect them to be the best for electronic music. If you are looking for something more powerful I would go for the ISN H40s or something even better (bass only), like the TFZ Live Xs.

Edited to add alternatives.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #55,913 of 104,111
I have to confess that most of the music I listen to is electronic music, more of the weird kind. Although I like a lot of IDM, ambient, electro, dub, deep house, drum&bass, some jungle... I grew up musically with all that in the 90's and in Barcelona there is one of the most famous electronic music festivals, Sonar.
That's why I consider myself a Bass-Lover, I can't conceive IEMS without a good bass response and, in case they don't have it, I'll always miss them. But not everything is bass in music and I must say that my taste is getting more and more refined. That's why I like these Rose so much.
Yes, they are good for electronic music and for many other things. But don't expect bass cannons.
Anything you would recommend 'weird' to listen to? 😄 Around 200$ what would be your choice of iem's for bass and electronic music if you had to choose one?

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #55,914 of 104,111
Anything you would recommend 'weird' to listen to? 😄 Around 200$ what would be your choice of iem's for bass and electronic music if you had to choose one?

As you were responding, I thought I was editing my message because I thought you might ask for alternatives. So they are up there.
There is some really weird electronic music and most of the time I don't even remember the bands. I listen to radio shows dedicated to electronic music and I also read specific online magazines to get a taste.
Sometimes I don't just listen to weird music, but sometimes I do.
Today I was with:

https://www.discogs.com/Blanck-Mass-Animated-Violence-Mild/master/1589115
https://www.discogs.com/es/Irakli-Major-Signals/release/18029191

It's not all weird, though:

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Webster-Decision-Time/master/1863174
https://www.discogs.com/es/Al-Wootton-Witness-/release/15636076
https://www.discogs.com/es/DJ-Spen-Soulful-Storm/release/17689903

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #55,915 of 104,111
Silver plated or silver cables are both good. But, of course silver cables will cost much more.:thumbsup:
So your assertion then that silver-coloured cables are definitely better than copper-coloured?

Silver-like coating can be tin-based, nickel-based or alloys - all are inferior for signal transmission no matter how you slice it.

Even if silver-plated - can few microns of silver bring any perceptible difference?

Furthetmore, copper-coloured cables are commonly silver plated with the copper-coloured insulation.

Talking about positive and cables - XINHS is really top notch - communication, customization, etc (no affiliation/interests, just ordered few custom cables focusing on different insulation (PU, TPE) rather than conductors).

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #55,916 of 104,111

Attachments

• 20210411_170155086_iOS.jpg
    20210411_170155086_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #55,917 of 104,111
So your assertion then that silver-coloured cables are definitely better than copper-coloured?

Silver-like coating can be tin-based, nickel-based or alloys - all are inferior for signal transmission no matter how you slice it.

Even if silver-plated - can few microns of silver bring any perceptible difference?

Furthetmore, copper-coloured cables are commonly silver plated with the copper-coloured insulation.

Talking about positive and cables - XINHS is really top notch - communication, customization, etc (no affiliation/interests, just ordered few custom cables focusing on different insulation (PU, TPE) rather than conductors).
No, not better...but different. Vice-versa can be applied with the cable where copper might be the better solution, since many drivers are different in distributing sound and the materials used to make them. There's even gold plated with silver mixed cables, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The point is NOT to be discouraged if one bought detachable units that don't satisfy their taste. One can always try changing the cables to get better results and in the end be satisfied.

Cables according to the material within, or thickness therein can alter the sound of any driver. So, my suggestion of changing cables or better yet even changing ear tips for that matter can make a difference for anyone interested in trying to tweak the sound of their own earphones for an overall better listening experience, which those that already tried it can agree that it really worked for them here in head-fi.

Is just a suggestion...:wink:

-Clear

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #55,918 of 104,111
Just received this bad boy after 2 month. BFD 7th, 6BA1DD, 1 of 25.

BFD is a one person custom workshop here in Taiwan. BFD hand build and tune each IEM he produces, and can custom tune his IEMs based on customer input. Every once in a while he does a group buy to the delight of his fans, and i was lucky enough to snag a 7th from his latest group buy.
Will try to give some impressions after I put in enough time listening to them. In the mean time, have a look at the size comparison between my 7th and my Starsea.

Attachments

• 021F205F-1869-4127-8B06-1F0798992842.jpeg
    021F205F-1869-4127-8B06-1F0798992842.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F5536F04-4141-46A7-9970-67C366E6314F.jpeg
    F5536F04-4141-46A7-9970-67C366E6314F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ABDB9CDE-3C56-47FA-B169-31BD35EC63DE.jpeg
    ABDB9CDE-3C56-47FA-B169-31BD35EC63DE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #55,919 of 104,111

Users who are viewing this thread