The discovery thread!
May 2, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #77,956 of 104,206
b6ba98ad-7e3b-46a9-994a-ce1f05778920.jpg

Just come in the mail. Smabat S1

May 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #77,957 of 104,206
And for me this is the BIG MISTAKE! Mid bass presence is referred only to a certain frequency response it shouldn't be called musicality and who use musicality in this sense shouldn't review anything otherwise he'd create confusion.
Describing sound is always hard, I also believe that the description of musical is very subjective. For myself it is when I truly like the sound the set produce.

Then it need a mix of many factors, body to the low end is one of them(this also means enough mid bass), mids not being veiled, same for treble having enough bite and not being boring. The amount of all of this is also very subjective, and might not be agreeable to others.

This is also why it's smart to find a reviewer who like the same sets as you.

Very few sets nail this perfect for me, one of them being the Aure. I was not sure to review this set as its not available anymore, still it deserve this so I have started on it😅

received_174240048444831.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #77,958 of 104,206
Are you just balling out of control or does the seller not know the different between commas and full stops when it comes to denoting numbers?
It’s Europe way of showing digits
but wow $11k usd 🤣🤣 That must be a place holder

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #77,959 of 104,206
BC highs? You're expecting either very old transducers, or something manufactured in British Columbia? :ksc75smile:
Ancient highs! Hey...great sound is great sound? Right?! LOL

May 2, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #77,960 of 104,206
These came out a few years ago and aren't new, but may be of interest as cables never go out of style!

Brand: ISN Audio
Model: GC4
Material: single crystal copper plating pure gold
Number of cores: 4 strands, single strand is 16 cores
Sheath: environmental protection transparent PVC
Aluminum alloy CNC cutting integrated slider
Secondary oxidation gold foil gold ring
The solder joint is silver–contained tin
Rhodium-plated plug
Cable length: 1.2M
$179
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-gc4.html

DSC_0001.jpegqwqwe.jpeg

Below is the OSG, the very first Graphene Cable ever made.
Penon OSG OCC Silver-plated Mixed with Graphene HiFi Audiophile IEMs Cable

Type-4 Litz configuration
Material: High purity single crystal copper silver-plated wire mixed with graphene
Number of cores: 4 strands, single strand is 71 cores
Sheath: environmental protection transparent PVC
Configuration: Carbon fiber metal splitter and slider,The solder joint is silver–contained tin
Plug: Rhodium-plated plug
Cable length: 1.2M
$299.00
https://penonaudio.com/penon-osg.html?page=2

DSC_0006.jpegqwq.jpegDSC_0030.jpegdc.jpeg
Above IMR BC 2023:
The OSG really optimizes the IMR BC 2023 by tightening the bass and making the already big soundstage bigger. Somehow the slight warmth that the cable provides is still noticeable with-in the warmth of the BC 2023's naturally occurring output. This warmth most likely due to the personality within the OSG midrange shining through? It really is a great combo, more detailed and faster than the ISN G4 cable I have been using (of course it is 3X the money too):wink:. Just an interesting and throughly musical combo.
At that price, it went out of style the second I laid eyes on the price tag LOL When you can get FANTASTIC cables from NiceHCK for a very reasonable price, that are effective and beautiful, there is absolutely no reason to spend that type of money on a single cable other than to give Penon a bump?

May 2, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #77,961 of 104,206
Holy.. I was like a month away from this thread due lot of things and I missed 136 pages. Since this thread is like a home to me, I will catch it up slowly especially for flavors of the month (already read a spoiler for KZ PR2 on KZ thread).
Welcome back! Hope you enjoy the cable wars, DAP wars, dongle discussions, and the plethora of "TOTL vs mid-fi vs budget" discussions, because to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot going on with new discovery talk....

May 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #77,962 of 104,206
finally found someone that try the nontunable DFI,

1683031092144.png

Practiphile can be too exited about something, but apparently its a budget Olina or budget-budget O2

Sounds like this the non-bullet shape replacement for the Ling long I was looking for?

May 2, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #77,963 of 104,206
At that price, it went out of style the second I laid eyes on the price tag LOL When you can get FANTASTIC cables from NiceHCK for a very reasonable price, that are effective and beautiful, there is absolutely no reason to spend that type of money on a single cable other than to give Penon a bump?
It is expensive, I won’t ague that fact. Also I’m not going to compare it to all the cables I haven’t heard, because I haven’t heard all the cables in the world, you either. But......in regards to a certain sound quality, I notice a difference here, I really do? Does that make it worth $299, it just depends where you find value. Remember in comparison to $1999 cables, it’s actually low cost for what it does.

May 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #77,964 of 104,206
Sounds like this the non-bullet shape replacement for the Ling long I was looking for?

I don't think so unfortunately as he mentions his measuring rig is acting up and showing more bass than there actually is.

LL.png

Linglong still seems to have a fair bit more sub-bass according to his measurements.

May 2, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #77,965 of 104,206
Describing sound is always hard, I also believe that the description of musical is very subjective. For myself it is when I truly like the sound the set produce.

Then it need a mix of many factors, body to the low end is one of them(this also means enough mid bass), mids not being veiled, same for treble having enough bite and not being boring. The amount of all of this is also very subjective, and might not be agreeable to others.

Very few sets nail this perfect for me, one of them being the Aure. I was not sure to review this set as its not available anymore, still it deserve this so I have started on it

Very few sets nail this perfect for me, one of them being the Aure. I was not sure to review this set as its not available anymore, still it deserve this so I have started on it😅

received_174240048444831.jpeg
Still waiting for mine to ship, but Nicholas stated they are going out this week, so hopefully my mid May, I'll be able to give my 2 cents worth in regards to the Aure?

May 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #77,966 of 104,206
BLON Z300 X HBB are out for delivery. I picked up the gold shells on early bird for $30, with free shipping, and they are already here, so one of the best shipping values, because they ended up being cheaper than the Cadenza. I enjoy the Cadenza, so if they can provide similar performance with a touch more air and treble extension (the Cadenza weakness), then these should replace the Cadenza as my second most travelled and used budget set (After the Ling long).

May 2, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #77,967 of 104,206
Still waiting for mine to ship, but Nicholas stated they are going out this week, so hopefully my mid May, I'll be able to give my 2 cents worth in regards to the Aure?
Looking forward to your impressions, its not the set that impressed me immediately out the gate. It grew on me, and is a different sound when coming from the Neon Pro or Serial that I use. The Aure uses 1DD that is a full range, 2 BAs in the mids and 4 BAs for treble. There is no part where you feel the BA is taking over the job, and you get the best of both for mids making vocals truly shine. Soundstage is not the largest, but it does wonders with vocal where you can feel like the singer is in front of you singing to you.

I also have finished my EST50 review now, had it on a break as it was almost finished over 3 months ago. I guess my Neon Pro stole my passion to finish it, but now its finished so tomorrow when I'm not so tired I will copy it over from my documents.

May 2, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #77,968 of 104,206
I agree, the original i3 is much more to my taste than the i3 Pro. One of my favourites since I first heard it.
I had I3 Pro first and sold them after couple of days, but I was stil intrigued by the previous version which I finally bought couple of weeks ago. Original I3 on the other hand charmed me instantly and shells aren't that big, but finding matching tips was quite tricky.
Holy.. I was like a month away from this thread due lot of things and I missed 136 pages. Since this thread is like a home to me, I will catch it up slowly especially for flavors of the month (already read a spoiler for KZ PR2 on KZ thread).
I also didnt't read this thread for about 3 weeks and there were about 120 pages awaiting me. Now I'm only 80 pages behind. :dt880smile:

May 2, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #77,969 of 104,206
I had I3 Pro first and sold them after couple of days, but I was stil intrigued by the previous version which I finally bought couple of weeks ago. Original I3 on the other hand charmed me instantly and shells aren't that big, but finding matching tips was quite tricky.

I also didnt't read this thread for about 3 weeks and there were about 120 pages awaiting me. Now I'm only 80 pages behind. :dt880smile:
I use the stock white silicone tips with the original i3. KBEAR wide bore tips also work well for me.

May 2, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #77,970 of 104,206
BLON Z300 X HBB are out for delivery. I picked up the gold shells on early bird for $30, with free shipping, and they are already here, so one of the best shipping values, because they ended up being cheaper than the Cadenza. I enjoy the Cadenza, so if they can provide similar performance with a touch more air and treble extension (the Cadenza weakness), then these should replace the Cadenza as my second most travelled and used budget set (After the Ling long).
Great!

mine still at port😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back