The discovery thread!
Dec 9, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #90,931 of 104,975
Connected a Penon OS849 to the EA 500 and Spinfits getting ready to break in EA500. Turned L & P W4 and let her rip and boy was I astonished!!! They sounded just as good to me as my EA 1000. Will still give them a week of break in anyhow to hear what develops .
Does someone have a specific part of a song where you can hear a clear difference if comparing the EA1000 to the EA500?
If the EA1000 is an upgrade, then there should be plenty of examples where you can hear the difference.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #90,932 of 104,975
click here for the thread
I've got the Sonic Memory SW2 on the way from AliX so I've created a place for any peeps who want to find out about them or share impressions they look promising with a very similar sound signature to the Twilight! For £160
-1421176961-366860906.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #90,933 of 104,975
My fine haul from 11.11. finally came around early Saturday morning.

It was a busy day of cable and tip rolling, but as a result I've gotten quite a few improved pairings to enjoy!

Juzear Pure and Limpid cables are wonderful for their price 👍

1000010988.jpg

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #90,934 of 104,975
click here for the thread
I've got the Sonic Memory SW2 on the way from AliX so I've created a place for any peeps who want to find out about then or share impressions they look promising with a very similar sound signature to the Twilight! For £160-1421176961-366860906.jpg
Too bad they don't sell the Wood nozzles from the OG or can they ?

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #90,935 of 104,975
Too bad they don't sell the Wood nozzles from the OG or can they ?
No idea was on Ali and saw the 2023 SM2 and these were next to them as a new release and my blind buy itch got scratched

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #90,936 of 104,975
Is the Hype 2 a good upgrade on the Kiwi Ears Melody?

Main genres would be EDM, hip-hop, R&B and rock. I do like bass and a sensitive to treble peaks but I would like a feeling of air for the rock and singer-songwriter tracks that I listen to.

Budget is up to £400. Running from an iPhone dongle.
Sure, Hype 2 could be the one for you, but it's sadly not all roses with Hype 2. Quality issues are quite serious. I would steer clear if you prefer not to deal with headaches of warranty etc.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #90,937 of 104,975
Sure, Hype 2 could be the one for you, but it's sadly not all roses with Hype 2. Quality issues are quite serious. I would steer clear if you prefer not to deal with headaches of warranty etc.
I've had my Hype 2 for a month or so now but experienced zero QC issues.
Maybe I got lucky, but I whole-heartedly rec this IEM!
Just my .02.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #90,939 of 104,975
Trn Conch: A set that gives the impression of carry about the customer, about providing the best value for the money spent.. nice build shells, nice cable with modular connectors, metal box.. great tips... BUT... the sound even with the changeable nozzles is.. still sibilant, too sharp, unpleasant (even with red nozzle). So little is missing to happiness, exactly two low density foams to put into red nozzles... and then we would get something complete and worthy of recommendation. A nicely served dish will not change the distaste that the dish will cause.
Spot on! Foam in red nozzle fixed the Conch for me.
It got so much praise for the tunable nozzles, but the blue and black are so sibilant they're completely useless. TRN should've skipped the nozzles and they could have cut the prize even more.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #90,940 of 104,975
I’m not defending SuperTFZ, but maybe a little? :)

Not 2X the price?
$79.00 Force 1
$49.00 DR2

Both sold at Penon Audio

Well, the $30 more got you more accessories, plus the Force 1 came out later. What was wild though was some of them had this vent in the nozzle, and some didn’t as far as I could tell? Never heard the DR2?
Not to continue the debate, but the Paiaudio DR2s are almost the same as the Hill Audio Altair:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pai-audio-dr2.23637/reviews#review-22225

The question is, if SuperTFZ could be a relaunch of TFZ, why start with a clone with better accessories? And why continue with another model, just refined?

I insist, TFZ offered me great moments. If SuperTFZ is its extension, sister or continuation, I must confess that I neither like its logo, nor the path opened by its initial models. I just hope that this new model is better and I don't want to find myself with other IEMS with a resistor and a switch on the external face...

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #90,941 of 104,975
Not to continue the debate, but the Paiaudio DR2s are almost the same as the Hill Audio Altair:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pai-audio-dr2.23637/reviews#review-22225

The question is, if SuperTFZ could be a relaunch of TFZ, why start with a clone with better accessories? And why continue with another model, just refined?

I insist, TFZ offered me great moments. If SuperTFZ is its extension, sister or continuation, I must confess that I neither like its logo, nor the path opened by its initial models. I just hope that this new model is better and I don't want to find myself with other IEMS with a resistor and a switch on the external face...
Remember way back when, and in some instances now, car manufacturers would introduce a small change to the tail lights and that would be the new car for the next year? I mean.....I myself would be in a way like the regular consumer. Where myself I never tried the DR2s or the Altair. So? What happens is being most simply don’t know of these other models, they simply bought the Force 1 and enjoyed it. The Force 1 was a solid release that offered a smooth and warm tone, though some got nozzle vents and maybe some did not? I’m not sure how much the nozzle vents affect sound, I would need to have both models to compare.

If TFZ is reinventing themselves by (laughably) adding Super to the front then that’s what they have done. And yes this (Crown) is more expensive. But it’s the future and everything costs more, right? Plus this is their TOTL Flagship IEM, and it sounds like it.

And you are right, many will find the faceplate too much. And the sound is while not perfect, exciting in a way, and cool what they have done with a single DD’s ability to perform. Yet of course the faceplate will seem strange and not for everyone. I agree they could have put those parts on the inside, but you have to admit that there has never been an IEM that looks like it. There is a lot of technology inside, if you do research you will see their is a large vent on the bottom, that maybe a little like the passive radiator in the AE1000, may add soundstage? And of course the metal body, that comes in two color choices, gray or silver. I mean this IEM holds much of that qwerky charm that while strange, is still charming and really is in much of the way we are all on this thread. Looking for wild import IEMs to buy. IEMs that deliver more sound per dollar than others from other parts of the world.

The Fragrant Zither is only doing what comes naturally to a company, simply developing forward and introducing a progression in both sound and looks. Looks have always been subjective and with some styles that instantly you know you would never like them. And while I don’t totally love the Crown looks, I don’t hate it either? The only way they could have made it stranger is to put a clear plastic window into the faceplate......maybe that’s the next model?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #90,942 of 104,975
Simgot EA500LM? If it's the second gen silicone polymer, then it'll sit between EW200 and EA500 I suppose

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    370.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #90,943 of 104,975
Simgot EA500LM? If it's the second gen silicone polymer, then it'll sit between EW200 and EA500 I suppose
Could be his colaberation a slightly retuned EA500LM. Colaberations..... Good for the hobby?

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #90,944 of 104,975
Remember way back when, and in some instances now, car manufacturers would introduce a small change to the tail lights and that would be the new car for the next year? I mean.....I myself would be in a way like the regular consumer. Where myself I never tried the DR2s or the Altair. So? What happens is being most simply don’t know of these other models, they simply bought the Force 1 and enjoyed it. The Force 1 was a solid release that offered a smooth and warm tone, though some got nozzle vents and maybe some did not? I’m not sure how much the nozzle vents affect sound, I would need to have both models to compare.

Like how Apple adds five megapixels to their camera sensor and .2mm to the screen size and call it a brand new phone?

:wink:

Dec 9, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #90,945 of 104,975
Could be his colaberation a slightly retuned EA500LM. Colaberations..... Good for the hobby?

A man gotta eat, mate :dt880smile: (or buying TOTL IEM for personal enjoyment)

Maybe you can collab with some one next year? It would be cool to hear the sound that you like in a tangible product. I’ll be very happy to dissect that. Maybe Oriveti? Or ZiiGaat? It seems ZiiGaat has a form on their website to inquire about collaboration.

Though I have a hunch that companies collab to reach the fanbase of the reviewer, not because of the golden ears of the reviewers themselves.

Anyone here curious about the Hype4 and Hype10 at all? These IEMs are at an odd spot. Too pricy to be interesting to this thread, and too cheap and “normie” for the other thread. Still debating myself whether I should just blind buy a Hype10 or be patient and wait for AFUL Cantor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back