The discovery thread!
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #94,786 of 104,110
ha ha! One good thing about being married to someone who you know from your teens is: f off with the gifts! And she won't appreciate a iem for a gift, anyway. "What a waste of money and lack of thought!" She isn't the type to go sniffing into decays of reverbs, soak in the soundstage, sneer at pinna-gain, scowl at bass-bleed, gasp at airy treble. Not that I was until i joined this damn forum. But that reminds me: will get her something else. Valentines day and all that. Not that we usually gift each other on this day but eh, there is always a time and place to shock and awe. So thanks for that reminder! You better get Spirit Torino for your iem-collecting wife!

As for iem, will try getting her another Tanchjim One DSP. Hope this unit does the trick. Silly thing isn't available here, though. sold out. That linlong doesn't have a detachable cable and no usbc termination. So that also won't do the trick. Will drop in a mail to the stores and see if One is available. Best would be if she relents for a proper IEM and over-the-ears fit: i can pawn off that EA-500 that I don't use :- ) Shiny metal Mademoiselle!

Bro, there is a CVJ BIG DONG IEM, specially made for Valentine's day.

418500772_766811228623942_6109802316903184533_n.jpg

All audiophiles should gift this to their significant other on February 14, it comes free with a slap on the face too!

$189 USD though
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806342757344.html

Has anyone ordered the Origin yet?

Edit: I remember @baskingshark getting a loaner set which he put to burn in?

I'll try to get a review out next week or so (my unit has been passed to Superchonk reviews to make a review first). I think he will launch a review tonight!

FWIW, I would grade the Origin at 4/5 for a midFI single DD. Kind of a sidegrade to the OD200. The Simgot EA1000 is more refined technically. Falcon Ultra Pro also has better tech, though a smaller soundstage. Origin beats the original Oxygen in technicalities, but it is an incremental upgrade (or diminishing returns to put it in another way). Will do more testing once I collect back the unit in a few days time.

Personally, amongst the midFI single DD, I think the Origin is good, but probably not a class-leader like the EA1000/Falcon Ultra Pro duopoly.

I suppose Zero could be a good measure to check if you gonna like Origin tuning or not?

The original Tanchjim Zero is thinner sounding, and less hefty in note weight, with a sharper upper mids.
Technically the Zero is inferior too compared to the Origin. Plus a thin non-detachable cable, which may be a deal-breaker.

Just save yourself all the hassle and go buy the FX15. Best bass, awesome mids, very amazing wow treble. Lots of soundstage. All the details ever.

Please don't, this is a running joke you missed out on too in the past 3 months.

BRO DO NOT MENTION THE WORD FX15!!!

Once you trigger the inquisitive mind of a certain member, we are gonna get flooded with the "HOW DOES XXXX IEM COMPARE TO FIIO FX15" queries? We have been having peace on the forums and social media for the past week, don't jinx it!!!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #94,787 of 104,110
Of course it's expensive, it took them hours upon hours of research and meetings just to come up with that name. Sounds like an expensive toilet.
Ey, take that back! Now I keep reading its name as nuts toilet.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #94,788 of 104,110
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #94,789 of 104,110
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #94,790 of 104,110
Cello is often my favorite thing to listen after if something sound good or natural, my wife play cello and I'm used to hear it live.

The bass tuck style sound off, it's both inconsistent and lack fullness in the lower mids. And as @o0genesis0o say the Etymotic ER2XR/ER4XR tuning is not natural either. Cello have a full sound that require more bass and low mids than what many think is natural.

Another thing is how fast the drivers decay, dynamic drivers been the only to nail correct decay from what I have heard.

We audiophiles are some critical people, I bet we look insane if a normal people look in on everything we talk or argue about 😁

Still no headphone or IEM can give you a close feeling to the real thing of a cello, when listen in the real world you will feel the bass on your whole body. Especially in smaller avenues. Speakers is the only thing that can get close.

Another thing, heard a drummer in real life? The cymbal can be ear piercing and brutal, and not soft as many IEMs show it. But does it mean this is what I want, not really as I want to enjoy my music. But a nice balance of it is great and not to soft.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #94,792 of 104,110
I tried these (and everything else) with iBasso DX300, btw. It’s a kickass DAP with only one noticeable “weakness”: the transients, especially in the bass, are not super snappy, especially in direct comparison against dynamic sources like FiiO M17.

I think there are two patterns for tuning the 20Hz to 1kHz. One is to have a gentle slope from the bass all the way to 1kHz, maybe with a slight cut at 250Hz. Most Harman-like IEMs recently are actually like this, as is most 10dB and even some old school multi BA sets are tuned like this. To my ears, this tuning is quite good.

The other approach is having a steep dive from 20Hz to 250Hz, and then gradually rise all the way to the ear gain peak. This is the “true” Harman tuning. If the ear gain peak is reduced, you have something like Symphonium Helios and even AFUL P8 (somewhat). To my ears, this tuning does not do lower midrange instruments well. The Pula 02 to my ears falls within this group.

Tuning aside, I find the imaging and staging to be way above the price tag. Quite happy with how easy it is to dissect orchestra with this IEM.
Is Ibasso DX300 DAP has a warmer sound just like previous ones?

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #94,793 of 104,110
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #94,794 of 104,110
Feb 6, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #94,795 of 104,110
Cello is often my favorite thing to listen after if something sound good or natural, my wife play cello and I'm used to hear it live.

The bass tuck style sound off, it's both inconsistent and lack fullness in the lower mids. And as @o0genesis0o say the Etymotic ER2XR/ER4XR tuning is not natural either. Cello have a full sound that require more bass and low mids than what many think is natural.

Another thing is how fast the drivers decay, dynamic drivers been the only to nail correct decay from what I have heard.

We audiophiles are some critical people, I bet we look insane if a normal people look in on everything we talk or argue about 😁

Still no headphone or IEM can give you a close feeling to the real thing of a cello, when listen in the real world you will feel the bass on your whole body. Especially in smaller avenues. Speakers is the only thing that can get close.

Another thing, heard a drummer in real life? The cymbal can be ear piercing and brutal, and not soft as many IEMs show it. But does it mean this is what I want, not really as I want to enjoy my music. But a nice balance of it is great and not to soft.
Especially on how cellos reverberates across the concert hall and how it harmonises to other string instruments and kettledrums.

As for drumming, yeah crashing of cymbals is indeed piercing and sizzling especially on Paiste ones. (did watch Paul Bostaph live in Slayer's last tour here in Asia)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #94,796 of 104,110
Today I have a battle to witness!!

On the right side we have rhe worthy contender that took almost 70k from my pocket, in the transparent underwear, the Questyle CMA18P.

On the left side, we have the sweet, the elegant, and the mischievous Quloos MUB1 in silver half pants!! This is a sample for review tour and is supposed to go back.

One is detailed, open, and massive with a complete audio circuit visual while the other has a warm, analogish character with a small oled display!!

1707206547261.png

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #94,797 of 104,110
I tried these (and everything else) with iBasso DX300, btw. It’s a kickass DAP with only one noticeable “weakness”: the transients, especially in the bass, are not super snappy, especially in direct comparison against dynamic sources like FiiO M17.

I think there are two patterns for tuning the 20Hz to 1kHz. One is to have a gentle slope from the bass all the way to 1kHz, maybe with a slight cut at 250Hz. Most Harman-like IEMs recently are actually like this, as is most 10dB and even some old school multi BA sets are tuned like this. To my ears, this tuning is quite good.

The other approach is having a steep dive from 20Hz to 250Hz, and then gradually rise all the way to the ear gain peak. This is the “true” Harman tuning. If the ear gain peak is reduced, you have something like Symphonium Helios and even AFUL P8 (somewhat). To my ears, this tuning does not do lower midrange instruments well. The Pula 02 to my ears falls within this group.

Tuning aside, I find the imaging and staging to be way above the price tag. Quite happy with how easy it is to dissect orchestra with this IEM.
How does this graph look to you?

From @Sajid Amit 's rave on Penon Fan2 ..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_133052.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_133052.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #94,798 of 104,110

Bro, there is a CVJ BIG DONG IEM, specially made for Valentine's day.

All audiophiles should gift this to their significant other on February 14, it comes free with a slap on the face too!

$189 USD though
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806342757344.html

I'll try to get a review out next week or so (my unit has been passed to Superchonk reviews to make a review first). I think he will launch a review tonight!

FWIW, I would grade the Origin at 4/5 for a midFI single DD. Kind of a sidegrade to the OD200. The Simgot EA1000 is more refined technically. Falcon Ultra Pro also has better tech, though a smaller soundstage. Origin beats the original Oxygen in technicalities, but it is an incremental upgrade (or diminishing returns to put it in another way). Will do more testing once I collect back the unit in a few days time.

Personally, amongst the midFI single DD, I think the Origin is good, but probably not a class-leader like the EA1000/Falcon Ultra Pro duopoly.

The original Tanchjim Zero is thinner sounding, and less hefty in note weight, with a sharper upper mids.
Technically the Zero is inferior too compared to the Origin. Plus a thin non-detachable cable, which may be a deal-breaker.

BRO DO NOT MENTION THE WORD FX15!!!

Once you trigger the inquisitive mind of a certain member, we are gonna get flooded with the "HOW DOES XXXX IEM COMPARE TO FIIO FX15" queries? We have been having peace on the forums and social media for the past week, don't jinx it!!!
The Blister in audio enthusiast forums along with an Israeli one that keeps pestering us. :D

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #94,800 of 104,110

Great review! I like the phrase “clarity, mirror-like fidelity, class leading transparency”. Stealing it for my future reviews :dt880smile:

Is Ibasso DX300 DAP has a warmer sound just like previous ones?

It’s not as warm as Shanling M6 Ultra. It feels uncoloured to me.

How does this graph look to you?

From @Sajid Amit 's rave on Penon Fan2 ..

I imagine it would be rich and thumpy with wide stage. I don’t think it has the best clarity, but should be nice for certain listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back