The discovery thread!
Feb 15, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #95,491 of 103,239
WOW! You're let go of your NP? That's speaking volumes!
It does and it doesn't. Remember, NP is roughly 1/3rd the price and has no ESTs. I'm looking forward to @Leonarfd's impressions/comparisons.

That fancy dap is a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.

I spent some good time comparing the Supernova and Butastur in the evening. I am glad to report that I find Supernova ahead of Butatsur. The sound on Supernova is definitely more mature. The bass has a lot more quantity and quality, too. Mids, which gain weight from the lower end, have more body and sound a lot fuller on Supernova. Butastur has better treble and has more sparkle up top. The midrange on Butatsur is thinner.

I think, after spending some more time with Supernova, I am more aligned with it's tuning. However, the resolution is definitely not very sharp. The timbre is really good, but not as good as something like Softear Twilight. The bass can be more precise, something like the OH700VB has. With the limited amount of time I have spent with the Supernova and OH700VB, I find the latter to be a more capable set. OH700VB has amazing bass. I need to do a proper comparison of both of these iems. @o0genesis0o Have you compared both of these iems?

Supernova seems to have picked up the best of everything—something like an all-rounder but not specifically doing anything extra special. Let me report back on Supernova after a few days.

1708013203478.jpeg
I've always been intrigued by the Supernova, but it costs too much for me currently.

I got the Butastur soon after its release and it is still an interesting and different pick within its pricepoint, but I am sadly letting it go to relocate funds elsewhere.

It's up for sale in the Classifieds should anyone crave a small all-BA with good natural timbre and very capable technicalities.

1000012096.jpg

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #95,492 of 103,239
Since there are no free lunches (mousetraps do not count, right?) - the objectivity of the reviewers of free samples is really hard trying to argue about, IMO.
I know this topic has been a problematic one since the beginning of time (well... beginning of online reviews at least).
There has been some stories about specific vendors putting pressure on reviewrs for positive reviews, etc.
BUT, I can at least shed some light from the other side:
I used to consult to Etymotic and Westone Audio for a bit (i.e. worked VERY part-time, and helped with community related activities).
During that time, I organized several tours in the US, EU and Asia (including Australia).
I have always emphasized to reviewers they can write ANYTHING they want. True and honest opinions!
They published their reviews without getting any approvals in advance, and the ONLY minor things I ever asked them to change is mistakes such as "IEM x has 6 BAs" where in fact it had 4. So literally just specs (or prices) that were not correct...
Now, as for "retaliation" against reviewers that were not positive? Let me tell you a true funny fact - I contacted reviewers that were NOT positive, when the next tour was on, and asked them to review other IEMs.
My reason? Personally, I am a little skeptic of products that everyone praise. I want to see some negative (or neutral) reviews that explain or touch on the shortcomings of products. Not just praise their strengths.

Granted, not every company operate in that manner, but I was fortunate to get the support internally from Etymotic / Westone Audio. They were OK with my strategy of letting some nay sayers of past, review new products, knowing full well those reviews could be negative!

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #95,494 of 103,239

Poorman's WM1A / WM1Z? 😂

@Hinomotocho found this and posted on WM1A/1Z thread.

They are really "design inspired" dongles

Not even close, that golden colour comes off without much usage, here is my take of the TP 30 clone From Concept Kart India under the brand name Audiocular. It's warm thick and smooth. Not bad. But I kind of Find the Fosi DS1 to be a bit more technically capable.

Don’t forget the iFi Audio Go Bar premium Dongle team is another one that come as gold plated copper case or standard black edition. They sound totally different too!

$499 gold edition or $339 black edition.

3E88D228-82B4-4A2A-B232-A27C96339B2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #95,497 of 103,239
Lol... my girlfriend has ignored my IEMs, for years, ignoring my invites to ditch her iPods and Bose, until one evening, after having left around a pair of Andro (and a lightning dongle I got her) she disappeared for a while with the green IEMs.
After about 20-30 mins she was back asking if the Andro were available in pink and asking me to get her a pair. My attempt to wake her up to better sound quality, backfired...
She then noticed all others IEMs I had around and went on for a trying spree eyeing my Andro Gold and the Fourte.... I ended up negotiating and surrendering a pair of Ara and a pair of IE600..

From that day I put away most IEMs every time she is around.
My partner actually can tell when I’m using Qobuz or local files, because she DOES NOT LIKE hi-res audio lol. Thinks the high end gear sounds too clear and too much at once, its overwhelming. I respect it. She likes her lo-fi playlists, don’t need TOTL tuning for that!

she is very supportive so it’s all good. She actually wants to go to CanJam to see if SOMETHING speaks to her.

More gear for me if no!

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #95,498 of 103,239
My first Campfire model, Bonneville in the quite special and daring color.

Bombastic bass :ballot_box_with_check:

Crisp treble :ballot_box_with_check:

Immense fun :ballot_box_with_check:

DSCF4435x.png

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #95,499 of 103,239
My partner actually can tell when I’m using Qobuz or local files, because she DOES NOT LIKE hi-res audio lol. Thinks the high end gear sounds too clear and too much at once, its overwhelming. I respect it. She likes her lo-fi playlists, don’t need TOTL tuning for that!

she is very supportive so it’s all good. She actually wants to go to CanJam to see if SOMETHING speaks to her.

More gear for me if no!
This is so weird to me. I cannot relate. I've never been with anyone who gave a flying *bleep* about audio quality. Well, my first wife kinda did over 20 years ago, but we've been divorced for over two decades. Since then? No. My wife loves our low fi record player, and she listens to vinyl all day. She even thinks her Carlos Santana TWS sound fantastic, so yeah, can't really relate to this. Hi-fi audio is a lonely proposition, and I prefer it that way.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #95,500 of 103,239
BA Battle

JXorA_BU3fEqNS1LY8ntTLfUyAT_jXTq9mi66lenqJk24fe23PUyuEPD4eqDVw-jvxnymNRpOKSJgkwjr5EIeRwMTpgeazqtmhyODvQcjwpHoRub-KYZuFFshVd8HtJb8zg-CaP4DQ4Ag_F0xALF8sg

I can share some notes I did almost half a year ago when I had 4 all BA sets here, this is very roughly written notes.
Just thought I could share it, this is highly subjective. And who knows, maybe I would have seen it different now.

7th Acoustic Supernova, Night Oblivion Butastur, AüR Audio Neon Pro and AüR Audio Alita.

Bass

Butastur has very nice textured bass, it just lacks pressure specially into the mid bass. So overall it has a more thin approach, for me it lacks compared to most BA sets.
Neon Pro and Alita are very similar in bass amount, but due to the upper range of Alita being relaxed the one who is the most bassy is Alita(unless you engage switch on NP). What both do great is having a nice textured low end. Always sound full and solid, and is closest sounding to a DD.

Bass is best on the sets using 4 BAs for the low end, while the tuning of the bass is great on Supernova it ultimately lacks some texture and appears softer than the other 3. But even so I would still pick it over Butastur, as it sounds fuller and not thin.

Mids

1 Neon Pro
2 Alita
3 Supernova
4 Butastur

Neon Pro has more direct and forward vocals than the Alita, probably due to the upper mid range where the presence region is more forward. But Alita in return has a more smooth and lush presentation while NP is clearer and more forward.

Supernova has a mix of both Alita and Neon Pro, it's more forward than Neon Pro. But also has that softer texture similar to Alita. What it lacks is perhaps some resolution that NP and Alita have.

Butastur is closest in tonality to Neon Pro, but it's thinner. Not talking about resolution, as it's about the same as NP. It just has less soul and fullness that is required for music and vocals to sound good for me.

Most of my instrument thoughts are very similar as with vocals, and for the most part I find Alita my faovorite in instrumental timbre.

Just some notes on sharp instruments like brass or percussion, there is one set that stands out the most as the most shouty performer with possible borderline sibilance. This is the Supernova, it's not always apparent and depends on the track. I am not the most sensitive to this, I had some thoughts on it and got my friend to try also. And he flinched at times with Supernova, if we look at the sets being most tiresome due to sibilance the Supernova is that.

If we look at the ultimate midrange resolution Neon Pro and Butastur have the edge, Alita might be similar but due to less energy it's more subtle how detailed it is. What I'm sure of is that Supernova is a good step behind the rest looking at midrange detail.

Treble

1 Alita
2 Supernova
3 Neon Pro
4 Butastur

Treble is difficult and I find all 4 good, Butastur due to venting can appear the most forward. But it's not really more refined than the rest, especially in how I like the treble.
Alita has a very soft and relaxed treble range, many will probably mistake it as it lacks treble detail due to this. But it's probably the one with the most detailed treble of all the sets here, while personally I would have preferred it more forward.

Supernova have forward treble, and in some parts of music it can get too much. But it lacks the detail of the other 3 performers here.

1 Neon Pro
2 Butastur
3 Alita
4 Supernova

Soundstage is above average on all of them except Butastur, Butastur has a more average depth. This might be a personal problem, as I know others have praised the soundstage. All of them are very circular sounding, or spherical as it's called. Supernova, Alita and Neon Pro I classify as all of them having a pretty large stage for IEM. Maybe due to personal shape and long nozzle I have a preference for Neon Pro, as it has the upper edge in depth. But the difference is small.

1 Neon Pro
2 Supernova/ Alita
3 Butastur

Design

Supernova is without a doubt the most beautiful of them, love the petite shell and faceplates.

1 Supernova
2 Alita
3 Neon Pro
4 Butastur

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #95,501 of 103,239
My first Campfire model, Bonneville in the quite special and daring color.

Bombastic bass :ballot_box_with_check:

Crisp treble :ballot_box_with_check:

Immense fun :ballot_box_with_check:

Gorgeous IEMs!

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #95,502 of 103,239
My wife loves our low fi record player, and she listens to vinyl all day. She even thinks her Carlos Santana TWS sound fantastic, so yeah, can't really relate to this.
I mean, this is her for sure haha. She is good with her JBL speaker. It’s more of a curiosity I think, she doesn’t get it and wants to understand more.

I do the same for her hobbies. We are currently in heated negotiations on rollerskating LOL.

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #95,503 of 103,239
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #95,504 of 103,239
Feb 15, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #95,505 of 103,239
The Shozy P20 is still commonly designated as a DD.
B504C661-B82A-4471-B079-E64B01BAFD9E.jpeg
0E468FDF-AA02-4391-9C6E-D03FA38C05CE.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back