The discovery thread!
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #99,451 of 105,160
Well not sure what kind of phone you use but most of them aren't exactly known for having good DAC's/output power either. It really is a shame that KZ doesn't list any specs on the AZ20 but I just wanted to warn you to be careful with planars and them being powerhungry. Bass is also more about the tuning than there being a DD or not? There are IEMs with a DD that don't have overpowering bass for sure. Also you might be able to EQ some bass away? But I am not knowledgeable about that.
Since you say the ZS10 Pro 2 is already on the way I hope you enjoy that one more!
1: iPhone 13 Pro
2: Sure, but they did say they put a 6mm DD in the Symphony to compensate for the lack of bass in planars, so I assumed they used it mostly for bass.
3: Running the AS24 on my AZ20, the full power mode also sounds better than standard mode, and brings the bass up to a "definitely enough" level of bassiness [with all the bass tuning switches on], otherwise, I'm not sure the AS24 would have had enough bass for me.
4: I often use Amazon music, which has no EQ capability.
5: The more I compare the Symphony to the AS24, and even the ZS6, I realize the tuning is indeed unusual, and despite me LOVING how they look, I'm going to gift them to a friend of mine who loves bass haha.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #99,452 of 105,160
The thing is this distance of space can be a result of about 5 things, and the IEM only being one of them.
But besides that the transients are directly responsible for imaging. If imaging is separated well, it can go ahead and convince you there is more stage as you are viewing a deeper pond......but not always wider.....that is the illusion! :)

Definitely agree that there are at least 1,001 variables involved. And that it’s not easy at all to measure or even compare stage size unless it’s a night and day difference.

I used to be all about fast, clean transients in the distant past, but appreciate the decay and sustain of notes much more these days. Taking it slower, so to speak. Because so much information can be conveyed there, on not only timbre but also room acoustics - and by extension, staging.

It still walks a fine balance though, between natural/realistic, and outright muddy or bleedy.

Adding a high-end portable amplifier, even to expensive DAPs we might be excused for expecting very capable amp stages from, can often massively broaden stage dimensions - even in budget IEMs under $50 which often scale far more than people may imagine.

Yep. Looking at you, Cayin N7.

So yes, agree that power and amping (or even simply going balanced) can help push out the stage as well - otherwise the imaging can be a bit like the print on an underinflated balloon.

Before my AceOrpheus MMCX cable stopped working, I found it boosted sub bass and mids on the Dunu Falcon Ultra. I wish I had an adapter to try it with the Dita PM since they're bass-light for me too

If you got it from NiceHCK, try pinging them to see if they’ll fix it? My GoldCrown MMCX is currently back with them. It’s been fuss free so far and they helpfully gave detailed instructions on how to avoid customs delays.

… And that’s my 1,000th post finally. Thanks for the little stage discussion. I enjoyed it :) Here’s a photo to bring the random threads in this post together.

IMG_4083.jpeg

Impact with GoldCrown, which I miss very much at the moment. Nice cable that drew out abovementioned decay and reverb in a way I hadn’t realised I needed in the Impact’s highs and which makes for frankly addictive room acoustics.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #99,453 of 105,160
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #99,454 of 105,160
If you got it from NiceHCK, try pinging them to see if they’ll fix it? My GoldCrown MMCX is currently back with them. It’s been fuss free so far and they helpfully gave detailed instructions on how to avoid customs delays.

… And that’s my 1,000th post finally. Thanks for the little stage discussion. I enjoyed it :) Here’s a photo to bring the random threads in this post together.
Congrats on the 1000th post!

Yeah, I did get it from the NiceHCK AE store, but I'm not 100% sure the cable is bad. The Falcon Ultra is the only MMCX set I have and I'm not getting audio on the left side with the AceOrpheus and a couple other MMCX cables. The NiceHCK Blackcat is still working with the Falcon Ultra so they're partners for life. I'm thinking the issue could be a combination of the IEM socket and the MMCX connectors on these specific cables. I suppose I could always pick up an MMCX to 2pin adapter to see if I can use these cables with my other IEMs.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #99,455 of 105,160
Congrats on the 1000th post!

Yeah, I did get it from the NiceHCK AE store, but I'm not 100% sure the cable is bad. The Falcon Ultra is the only MMCX set I have and I'm not getting audio on the left side with the AceOrpheus and a couple other MMCX cables. The NiceHCK Blackcat is still working with the Falcon Ultra so they're partners for life. I'm thinking the issue could be a combination of the IEM socket and the MMCX connectors on these specific cables. I suppose I could always pick up an MMCX to 2pin adapter to see if I can use these cables with my other IEMs.

Thanks and congrats on the recent 500th! :beerchug:

Yeah it could well be; I’ve found MMCX connectors to be more finicky in my personal experience, with larger variations between manufacturers - some are really solid like Campfire’s, others less so.

Anyway, adapters are crucial to maximising compatibility across my cable collection. You didn’t ask, but these are the best I’ve found - solid, well made, small enough to be mostly unobtrusive and most importantly they don’t seem to degrade the sound noticeably:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203902231455

IMG_5032.jpeg

Far as I can tell, they’re the same ones on “Nancy’s Integrity Store” on AE, which I used to buy from until I realised they’re usually a few dollars less on eBay. I’ve amassed quite a few permutations so it adds up…

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #99,456 of 105,160
Tangzu XuanWu Gate came for a tour.
Beauty of a set.
🫰🏼

1713724718998.png

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #99,457 of 105,160
All these weekly Pokemon and I don't care. :sleepy:
well its discovery thread, its partly about getting news on the weekly pokemon.
I am very unintrigued by their products nowadays as well, but what KZ is doing is an absolute Pro Lesson in marketing. Their constant releases keep the conversation about them going on and on in a seemingly endless circle. Simple, and free, marketing. Masterclass in Marketing.

Now, of course, not all is bad, now and then they release a more-than-half-decent product. They also help keep the entry point to this hobby nice and low since other budget companies are essentially forced to follow suit to get a piece of that pie. And for that, I salute KZ.

And that’s my 1,000th post finally. Thanks for the little stage discussion. I enjoyed it :) Here’s a photo to bring the random threads in this post together.

IMG_4083.jpeg

Impact with GoldCrown, which I miss very much at the moment. Nice cable that drew out abovementioned decay and reverb in a way I hadn’t realised I needed in the Impact’s highs and which makes for frankly addictive room acoustics.
Congratulations on this nice little milestone, and here's to another 1000 :beerchug:
Keep it up, because I am surely not the only one that appreciates your well-written posts.

P.s. Impact is gobsmackingly gorgeous. Probably outdone by competition by now, but I bet it's still quite a listen.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #99,458 of 105,160

Yeah it could well be; I’ve found MMCX connectors to be more finicky in my personal experience, with larger variations between manufacturers - some are really solid like Campfire’s, others less so.

Anyway, adapters are crucial to maximising compatibility across my cable collection. You didn’t ask, but these are the best I’ve found - solid, well made, small enough to be mostly unobtrusive and most importantly they don’t seem to degrade the sound noticeably:

IMG_5032.jpeg

Far as I can tell, they’re the same ones on “Nancy’s Integrity Store” on AE, which I used to buy from until I realised they’re usually a few dollars less on eBay. I’ve amassed quite a few permutations so it adds up…
Thanks for the heads up. I actually have a 2pin-to-pentaconn ear adapter for the Diva that I got from Nancy's AE store. I could tell this ebay store has the same adapters with their "color" options. They like to confuse their customers by giving them "color" options instead of a description of what the adapter really is. I guess I need a new pair of Khakis lol.

1713724901951.png

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #99,459 of 105,160
Congratulations on this nice little milestone, and here's to another 1000 :beerchug:
Keep it up, because I am surely not the only one that appreciates your well-written posts.

P.s. Impact is gobsmackingly gorgeous. Probably outdone by competition by now, but I bet it's still quite a listen.

Thanks! Might take me another 9 years though…

Can’t say I’ve kept up with every BA/EST release (because I usually have to have a DD or four in there) but I was comparing Impact with Ronin back then and it was closer than I expected. Ronin’s cable was a few rungs above though, it has to be said.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually have a 2pin-to-pentaconn ear adapter for the Diva that I got from Nancy's AE store. I could tell this ebay store has the same adapters with their "color" options. They like to confuse their customers by giving them "color" options instead of a description of what the adapter really is. I guess I need a new pair of Khakis lol.

1713724901951.png

I discovered Nancy’s AE store because I needed Pentaconn adapters for my Diva too :) She sure owes Elysian a few.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #99,460 of 105,160

IMG_5032.jpeg

Thanks. I also ordered them, on AE, so there's still some time left till they arrive. Tbh, I'm very reluctant to mess about with the MMCX connectors, they seem very flimsy. One of my IE900 is already quite loose. Thankfully the bespoke Brise cable seems to attach more firmly. I don't think I'll ever take it out again. :)

I was even thinking to get a set of MMCX to MMCX adapters, if they exist, keep one end permanently attached to the IEMs and attach cables to the other. I'm sure this had been tried before, any opinions?

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #99,461 of 105,160
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #99,462 of 105,160
Well yeah, I can understand you point bro. Do you also feel ea1000 to be bass light? For me Project M is mainly for relaxing and simple sessions.

Btw for bass try the Madoo Type 512, I tried at the SG trip and bought one the same day haha.
I've been watching and enjoying that Madoo LOL Definitely enticing, and yeah, every Simgot lacks bass heft, or more precisely they are thin in the mid bass. All of them, including the EA500LM. Now it's not super bad, but it's self evident in the thin note weight. I still enjoy them mostly.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #99,463 of 105,160
IMG_4957.jpeg

Folks who could use more bass from Project M, try switching out the cable.

I recently swopped in the NiceHCK AceOrpheus on a hunch and was surprised how deep and textured the sub bass could go.

It has to be said, AceOrpheus has its fans and I’m not usually one of them because its highs are generally too sleepy for my tastes. But it didn’t turn out to be much of an impediment for Project M, which is fairly well provided for in that department.

It’s also a chonky one and requires an adapter to use 0.78mm pins safely with the Project M’s QDC-style connectors (although I suppose one could cheat and hope for the best - it’s just a little tight) but it’s well worth mentioning how well Project M responded to a spot of cable rolling.
Those IEM's are so beautiful. Supermodel IEM lol

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #99,464 of 105,160
KZ ZS10 pro 2 - comparisons:

1. Old ZS10 (my first KZ IEM, about 6 years ago): surprisingly, treble of ZS10 is not that bad and is still adequate, while the bass is loose/tubby, and the new generation of KZ DDs offers so much more. I do not have ZS5 or 6 (Andromeda imitations were not to me), but I can tentatively project that Pro 2 may be into your alley, if you are into more refined treble.

2. ZS10 pro is so much classic to me with its unapologetic relentless KZ V.
Pro 2 keeps its heritage: both are great with guitars, especially electric. Pro original is definitely more brazen with its more penetrating/steely treble. Pro 2 is more refined in the treble. Bass of ZS10 pro 2 is more punchy while comparable in its sheer intensity, and balancing the treble well (e.g. compared to CCA 10 pro).

3. CCA10 pro - while bass may be better compared to ZS10 pro, what does not seem to work for this IEM - is the balance between the treble and bass (a bit too much treble even for my high tolerances).

4. ZS10 pro X is a really capable competitor of Pro 2. X treble is handled by 30095 and is more penetrating/steely. Pro 2 treble is more refined and smooth, while still prominent. Bass is very much comparable - hard for me to call the winner. Mids are a bit more balanced on Pro 2.

5. Trio. Trio is another strong competitor, which feels more cozy and intimate compared to Pro 2. I do understand why many like Trio. If one likes Trio, and not fond of rich treble - Pro 2 may not be the way to go. If both Trio and treble are liked - Pro 2 can offer more openness, range and stage.

6. Rhapsody. Not "it" for me due to too much of midbass mostly and too gentle trebke as well. Having the same BAs, to me ZS10 pro 2 nicely inproved on Rhapsody in featuring more prominent treble and much better tight bass with more sub-bass.

7. ZAT. On a different level to me for the resolution (and I like ZAT's more reserved bass as well). Cost-effectively, ZS10 pro 2 is really great at nearly 1/3 of ZAT price.

8. Symphony. A different animal with its mighty bass added to a planar. Symphony is definitely a new exploration to KZ, while ZS10 pro 2 is the refinement of what worked very well beforez and a very good one.

Overall, ZS10 pro 2 is a great IEM to my ears along ZS10 pro reknowned heritage.
ZS10 pro 2 is definitely not any "segment killer" by any means, IMO, (Trio may be more suitable for this role), but a great IEM that many (very many, I sure) will enjoy. I can only imagine my KZ journey starting with ZS10 pro 2 instead of original ZS10! (though I did learn a lot working outthe fit and realizing bass limitation with ZS10 on a positive side :)).

thank you for the response.
its not as harsh as ZS6, yes?
because i could't stand that one

now we wait to see how it stacked against its old rival siblings, TRN ST7...
do we have ST7 actual pricing or do they slice the pricing deep just to compete with ZS10Pro 2, because the setup seems to be closer to be ZAX-line competitor than ZS10pro
I did place an order for ST7 yesterday. Now, after an excellent ZS10 pro 2, I kind of regret it (Head-Fi is very conducive, and my storage space for 120+ IEMs and stuff is getting to its limits....)
My bias is that ST7 won't be up to ZS10 pro X/2 or, let alone, ZSX/ZAX. In any case, I will report my impressions when I get ST7.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #99,465 of 105,160
I've been watching and enjoying that Madoo LOL Definitely enticing, and yeah, every Simgot lacks bass heft, or more precisely they are thin in the mid bass. All of them, including the EA500LM. Now it's not super bad, but it's self evident in the thin note weight. I still enjoy them mostly.
This one is in the works now, and this IEM is one of those that I have been enjoying for their outstanding performance, the Kinera Verdandi. These have a satisfying bass for me, I am using these on iBasso D16 and PB5 stack for tonight.

verdan.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back