The discovery thread!
May 5, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #100,517 of 102,019
I finally ordered the TRN ST7. Fugumikan’s recent review convinced me. He gave it a 5-star rating and highly recommended it. He also confirmed pretty much everything I read about it in other Japanese people’s posts on X. According to him, it is a very well-balanced neutral IEM with a touch of warmth and a very gentle type of presentation. The bass is elastic and very well presented—thanks to the 10mm DLC driver—a more quality-over-quantity approach. As for the high frequencies, there isn’t much sharpness in the top region compared to other TRN products (like the Conch, for example). They aimed to achieve a more sober, cohesive, and spike-free top end. Overall, it tends to offer a very natural and easy-to-listen experience.

Additionally, he surprised me by comparing its sound to more high-end products like the Awful Performer 5. After this comparison, I couldn’t contain my curiosity. I was able to buy it on sale for $24 on AliExpress. A 2DD+5BA composition at this price point—recent TRN cost-performance offering is quite impressive.
Got my ST7 a few days ago. I've had to stack 2 500 mesh filters on the nozzle grills, use Final Type E tips, and stuff 4x3 high density foams inside the tips to bring sibilance down to tolerable levels. Can't put foams inside the nozzle; 2 BAs are staring right at you when you lift up the grill.

Punchy bass with the 2 DDs though.

May 5, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #100,518 of 102,019
Got my ST7 a few days ago. I've had to stack 2 500 mesh filters on the nozzle grills, use Final Type E tips, and stuff 4x3 high density foams inside the tips to bring sibilance down to tolerable levels. Can't put foams inside the nozzle; 2 BAs are staring right at you when you lift up the grill.

Punchy bass with the 2 DDs though.
Are you normally sensitive to treble or is it just that bad?

May 5, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #100,519 of 102,019
May 5, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #100,521 of 102,019
Just curious, how did you like the upper mids? Are they to your liking? 🤣
They are ok. They feel recessed. It’s overall a solid iem and great value, but the upper mids makes it not exactly what I want.

May 5, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #100,522 of 102,019
They feel recessed

495C0DD9-3CC7-4318-87C8-5B7A83719125.gif

I’m considering violating my rule to measure this IEM before finishing my notes to see how exactly did Lee tune this IEM. It’s flat, even slightly bright, but the upper mid is not in the face. It’s a good thing, but I expected Lee’s IEMs to be shouty. Without the shout, it’s kinda … wrong 😂

Edit: it reminds me of my U12t with MX module. Flat, and midrange there, clear, but at the same time pulled back compared to Harman IEMs.

Edit 2: listening to the singolo again to finalise the review text. Boy of boy the resolution is dull after days with Project Ace, EA1000, and pilgrim. But it’s alright. There is still plenty to like here.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #100,523 of 102,019
Blessing 2 or 3? :)

I have always felt the divinus tips have a sight peak around the 2 to 2.5k region so with KZ i mostly use spiral dots and they work wonders in cutting out that glare. Also if you could try a copper cable and share your impressions please.
Same with copper cable and other tips like Spiral Dot, Penon Lauqer, kbear 07 and type-e. Velvet been my go-to lately as it sound balanced, seal good and is comfortable.

I guess I'll just avoid the KZ models forward that use BAs, this was free for testing anyways so no loss 🫡

The CCA Trio is a different beast, and I totally see the praise it is getting. With current discounts the Trio is quite unbeatable for people who love warm analogue sound.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #100,525 of 102,019
My 2nd project is now live and I welcome anyone to check it out! It was definitely a challenge, especially the lowest notes. It is a Slovenian song, here is the lyrics translation:

I know I'm not the first who cannot
Step on the wild top of the world
And I won't be the last
To see you in my dreams

How many breathed air before me
And to how many
the most beautiful child is born
How many more are still to come into this lineage

But I'm the only one
Who carries our blood
I'm the only one
Who soothes your cry

I'm the only one
Who does not exist
Does not exist without your world

I know I'm not the first who cannot sleep
From all punches and worries
And I won't be the last
Once not to wake up

To others I showed my smile
Others saw tears on the ground
Others gnawed the skin off me
Again and again

But I'm the only one
That licks blood from your wound
I am the only one to calm your cries

And solely the only one
Who does not exist
Does not exist without your world

And there is more and more hope in this world
I heard you wanted to live with me
And with that, give this single life for me

That's why today it's me
who inhales the air
Today the most beautiful child is mine
And today I fall asleep because tomorrow

I wake up with you

Also, hugely grateful to everyone with whom I could exchange anything about this mutual hobby we passionately share in these past 800 posts and 6550+ of your supportive likes.

May 5, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #100,526 of 102,019
Has someone compared the xuan nv with the Delci?

Both are warmish and bassy, but the Xuan Nv is less technical (below average in this department).

Been sitting the past hours trying to wrap my head around the KZ ZS10 Pro 2, the sound is a little fatuiging for me and not very enjoyable. Have a metallic timbre, very similar to some previous KZ hybrids models. I assume this is bad BA drivers being used, as this dont happen on the DD models and not on the Symphony that had DD and Planar driver.
When looking at measurement the Symphony should be more fatuiging, but even with the peaks on 2.5k and 9K Hz the Symphony sound more forgiving.

I don't deny the ZS10 Pro 2 having better tuning, also the DD seem to have tighter and better controlled bass. But I just cant get past the sharper metallic sound to enjoy the music.

My listening been done using the white crane SPC cable and Divinus Velvet tips, running off both desktop gear and the HIBY R8 II.

Thanks for your impressions. Seems like it can't live up to the legendary KZ ZS10 Pro's name.

Look forward to a KZ ZS10 Pro 3 next week!

There is a another 1 BA from Katori Audio soon just a FYI peeps and it's a stunner!

The Vampire is a warm neutral 1 BA IEM, good timbre for a BA set, not fatiguing, quite lush and relaxed.

It is decent, but the problem is, there's another 1 BA big kahuna out there, in the AFUL Magic One. No doubt the Magic One is slightly more expensive, but the Magic One has an ace up its sleeve - the "Nautilus Acoustic Maze Technology" rear cavity acoustic tube - which is an acoustic damper that operates via air pressure to down-throttle certain frequencies; this essentially results in an increased sub-bass resonance, much more than what a traditional single BA can execute.

Nautilus.jpeg

So the Vampire, like most 1 BA sets, is somewhat lacking in sub-bass extension, but the Magic One is able to handle these frequencies well.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #100,527 of 102,019
Both are warmish and bassy, but the Xuan Nv is less technical (below average in this department).

Thanks for your impressions. Seems like it can't live up to the legendary KZ ZS10 Pro's name.

Look forward to a KZ ZS10 Pro 3 next week!

The Vampire is a warm neutral 1 BA IEM, good timbre for a BA set, not fatiguing, quite lush and relaxed.

It is decent, but the problem is, there's another 1 BA big kahuna out there, in the AFUL Magic One. No doubt the Magic One is slightly more expensive, but the Magic One has an ace up its sleeve - the "Nautilus Acoustic Maze Technology" rear cavity acoustic tube - which is an acoustic damper that operates via air pressure to down-throttle certain frequencies; this essentially results in an increased sub-bass resonance, much more than what a traditional single BA can execute.

Nautilus.jpeg

So the Vampire, like most 1 BA sets, is a lacking in sub-bass extension, but the Magic One is able to handle these frequencies well.
Thanks a lot...sub-bass is essential to me - guess the MagicOne takes pole position again !! lol

May 5, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #100,528 of 102,019
Thanks a lot...sub-bass is essential to me - guess the MagicOne takes pole position again !! lol

Yeah Magic One is a bit hard to drive though.

Quite nice tech implemented inside this IEM.

May 5, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #100,529 of 102,019
Control your expectations though 😂 It’s not lacking, but bass is still not its strength, even when compared with other (multi-)BA set. Though it’s not fair to compare a single BA against dedicated vented BA woofers. This IEM is all about the nice midrange and precise imaging, at least to me.

Oh, and get your amp out. Even the R3II sounds a bit meh with this one. As you would expect, it sounds great with its matching dongle.

May 5, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #100,530 of 102,019
I actually didn’t realize that the R3 Pro Saber can do digital out, pretty nice feature to have on a player that does gapless.
I use the R3 pro saber 2022 to power my dongles with the help of the Ibasso CB19 cable and a powerbank. Smaller and easier to transport than a 6” Samsung that I have here at home, which I also only use as a player for the dongles+CB19+powerbank, but it is much larger and does not have physical buttons to skip and rewind the song. That's why I only use the Samsung when I know I'm going to stay still on the couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back