The discovery thread!
May 18, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #102,002 of 104,072

Is that a modular cable I see?
1000005844.jpg

Edit: yup, just noticed the other connector in the case.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #102,004 of 104,072
May 18, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #102,005 of 104,072
“burning”? Who are you and what have you done to the real Phonophi?
Well, if the truth must be told - the real Phonophi is in the basement well secured by KZ cables (and with the KZ legendary quality and Phonophi KZ quantities) - no escape - eating only vegies to save for the total totls, signing up for kilobuck cable tours, votting for Tru....

I am back! The veggie-eating schmuck could not even tell the difference between KZ and TRN, and TRN cables can be counted upon at least for one thing - to be the weakest link!
Now, after the forced veggie diet, I will rambunctiously devour reviewers of free samples for breakfast, lunch, dinner and complimentary snack! Also starting the Waterheater thread for reviewing reviewers and boldly blindly comparing totls with the budget gems (and everyone have their biases, right).

On a more constructive note, I believe what I hear, and I experienced settling of DD drivers (not the case with BAs where I had multiple pairs to compare). Then there is a reasonable scientific justification for me - the DD membrane is highly strained, and polymer chains undergo some realignment, when subjected to motion/deformation.

Finally, for the KZ Merga - less tubby on settling (be it a DD or the brain), but "thin" would be the main word, to describe it (Clarion tips) especially when compared to Trio (same tips).
This tuning is definitely not unlikeable + good treble and details/resolution.
I feel it is quite a bit along Crin's tuning where midbass is sacrificed to accentuate other parts of the spectra. Another "project Red devourer" from KZ?
Definitely, Merga is very much worth its money for the overall sound attributes, IMO. Also, much so not more budget-friendly Trio.
Next I will try orangy Liquier/Lacquer tips that helped to save Hexa from oblivion for my listening.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #102,006 of 104,072
I feel it is quite a bit along Crin's tuning where midbass is sacrificed to accentuate other parts of the spectra. Another "project Red devourer" from KZ?

I did a bunch of AB tests today to finalise the review of some IEMs. It shocks me how similar most of them sound, with perhaps a bit better stage there, nicer bass here. Too many same same.

Perhaps our community needs to recall that our brain can EQ anything and if they want something “cool” with character, they need to deviate from the same Harman-ish target.

May 18, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #102,007 of 104,072
May 18, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #102,009 of 104,072
I did a bunch of AB tests today to finalise the review of some IEMs. It shocks me how similar most of them sound, with perhaps a bit better stage there, nicer bass here. Too many same same.

Perhaps our community needs to recall that our brain can EQ anything and if they want something “cool” with character, they need to deviate from the same Harman-ish target.
collab IEM YouTubers must be stopped

May 18, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #102,010 of 104,072
Found this interesting. Things us audiophiles "worry" about, but probably should not. Video is about a home AV/Stereo System, not Headphones/IEMs. But I'm sure someone could do something similar fort headphones/IEMS and their associated DAP's. DAC's, Amps, Cables, etc.

May 18, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #102,012 of 104,072

Yes. Yes. Yes. A prime example of this is when I accidentally leave another set’s EQ profile on, and I don’t notice it. Right around the time I start thinking, “wow, why does this sound so good and different?” is when I realize I’ve got super funky EQ settings going on.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #102,013 of 104,072
Lots of drivers and not a single positive feedback from those who tried it at the shows. I hope they retuned and fixed whatever was wonky.
Yet another example of the driver count war that is so foolish. Just like the "We reduced THD by .000007 in our new amp" from Chi-fi manufacturers. Big f*cking whoop.

My belief that "less is more" with IEM drivers grows by the day, especially when I see excellent single DD's like the Delci and Himalaya and my beloved single BA in the MagicOne.

I know there are manufacturers that make good multidriver sets, but packing double-digit drivers into a shell? Really? What's the point other than marketing gimmicks?

May 18, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #102,014 of 104,072
May 18, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #102,015 of 104,072
Man, I am super pissed with the xDuoo now. It's been 3-4 days since I started testing the XD05 Pro. The main issue is its battery life, man this is a transportable device with the battery backup of a 1900s Chinese smartphone(if they had any). Equipped with a massive 13600mAh battery, the device provides hardly 1:30-2 hours in turbo mode using balanced output and USB input. Even in Eco mode, the device provides hardly 5-6 hours and normal mode hardly giving me 4 hours approx only.

I have mailed them and contacted them through their website, but I have received no replies. Now my last resort is to contact via my known retailer in my country, if they still give me no resolution or proper revert to all this. I am gonna make a god damn video for them. This is not acceptable when reviewers are posting a battery backup of approx 10 hours while the unit lasts hardly 5-6 that too in the lowest gain mode.

Thanks for listening to my rant today. I am just pissed off because i spent close to 900$ with ROHM DAC card and now this is just trouble.

XDUOO support (from the website) responds very slowly (in my case 2 weeks).

When I needed information, I asked the dealer (in my case Shenzhenaudio), and I had answers within 24 hours.

Coming to the point, 2 hours in turbo seems little to me,
I expect at least double (maybe you use headphones that are hungry?).

Is it possible that you have a faulty unit?
Have you noticed if it heats up when you recharge it
(with the unit turned off, obviously, otherwise it heats up on its own).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back