The discovery thread!
May 21, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #102,511 of 104,212
No Penon Liqueurs? That's my go to tip now. I use them on just about every iem.
Excited finally try these, along with their new copper cable.

I thought I picked DHL for shipping but I guess not… we will see whenever that shows up. lol.

May 21, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #102,512 of 104,212
I have the MT300 and think it's pretty decent, especially considering how long ago it came out.
Certainly unique.
I put these into the proverbial "wooden box" of iems a long time ago, alas I've mislaid the said box, whilst decluttering. I'd love to rediscover them again to refresh my memory of their uber individual tuning signature (p.s. I just remembered I bought them via the FS section for £50 so it's not too bad then !!)

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #102,514 of 104,212
Today's mailbox arrival is the Moondrop U-2 (Paperclip Edition, lol).

Haven't had a earbud in quite some time, last was the VE Monk Plus.

thumbnail_20240521_140755.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #102,515 of 104,212
Did a quick AB with this song that someone suggested not long ago with all my 'cheapies' (≤100€).

Top to bottom row, from left to right:

EA500 LM - a bit thick in bass, sibilant now and again, too sterile and cold, distant vocal placement, :confused:
CVJ Mei - thin, unrefined, lacking bass weight and resolution, thin vocal, :sweat:
EPZ Q5 - shy in treble, not nuanced enough in bass, okay vocal placement, :confused:

KiwiEars Singolo - okay bass despite the slight lack of note separation, unnatural and uneventful treble, enjoyable vocals, :neutral_face:
VE SIE - intentionally thick bass and hefty low mids sound fine but blunt the notes, shy treble but nicely done, good vocals but muted due to an overpowering hum of everything sub 500hz, :confused:
Celest Phoenixcall - that weird pinna can be heard with electric guitars, but is balanced well with sufficient bass and sweet treble, vocals are never drowned, :relaxed:

Tangzu Wan'er - Lo-fi in comparison to most others, but a tasteful balance, bass is weak, treble is uneventful, by far the clearest vocals in all the mess surrounding them, :confused:
TINHiFi T5S - strikes the greatest balance, correctly dosed bass without bloat, treble is just clear of annoyance and avoids sibilance, both vocal variants are clear and well positioned, :smiley:

Lastly, I plugged in the AüR Aure just for craps and giggles, and yes, it is indeed on a whole other level in whichever regard.

Lastly lastly, I plugged in the Meze 109 Pro and that is just a whole new experience altogether. This dude is screaming directly into my brain, guitars are alive and drums actually consist of individual drums. Sharp at times though, and definitely not as easy to fit and forget you're wearing these as the Aure's.

This was quick & fun!

Maybe me who recommended it, one of my faovorite albums. Quite ambitious release from Swallow the Sun.
CD1 is named Gloom, this is doom metal with some death metal also.
CD 2 Beauty, more of a relaxed meleodic metal style.
CD 3 Despair, this goes into what is called funeral metal. A sub genre of doom metal.

The names are quite fitting for each CD, and since I talked about this I now need to listen to the album. Going for my metal master Bonneville :beyersmile:
That is not the original cover art. Love the title song.......just can't stop listening to it. That album made quite the impact in 2015.
534606.jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #102,516 of 104,212
BAD discovery today: the Tangzu Xuan Nv just came in and they were intended on being a gift for a friend of mine. But I could not resist opening them up to see if the sound quality was good enough for a gift. Imagine my horror when I saw that the left bud was cracking and peeling!
At risk of flakes falling into my ear, I did try them out for a few songs… there’s more bass here than I got the impression of from some reviews. Definitely sufficient and low-reaching. The mids are warm and very present and the highs are extended enough for me to really enjoy what I was hearing. But I got these packed up for a return and replacement! Some of the eartips looked like they had flecks of stuff on them. Quality control needs to wait up and smell the coffee!

I have the Trio coming in which is a quarter of the price so once I hear that I might decide not to girt a copy for myself but I can’t deny that these are leaks and bounds more attractive than the gunmetal KZ releases lately.
The replacement arrived today.... as with the first box, the earbuds were knocked out of the foam holders, and sure enough, one earbud has hairline cracks in the faceplate, and both have sticky residue around the faceplate... getting really annoyed now as these were supposed to be gifts!!!! I emailed Linsoul about this issue, and asked for a free set, because technically, this replacement set isn't unusable, but I want a nice perfect set for my gift!! fingers crossed...

But I'm listening it it, of course, and I must say, it has some sturdy subbass for sure!! the rest of the frequency range is simply smooooooth! I could see these having a real addictive sound. Just wish I could finally get in an actually properly made set!

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #102,517 of 104,212
Maybe me who recommended it, one of my faovorite albums. Quite ambitious release from Swallow the Sun.
CD1 is named Gloom, this is doom metal with some death metal also.
CD 2 Beauty, more of a relaxed meleodic metal style.
CD 3 Despair, this goes into what is called funeral metal. A sub genre of doom metal.

The names are quite fitting for each CD, and since I talked about this I now need to listen to the album. Going for my metal master Bonneville :beyersmile:
The Trio are currently my metal masters. Though I'm listening to the Singles soundtrack atm. Will probably listen to something heavier soon though?

May 21, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #102,518 of 104,212
If I see a drop to $320 as our US friends have...I will probably get one.
No more rip-off of us Europeans so US citizens can feed on our anguish. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Cheers!

P.S. Where am I? Chillin. :wink:
Might be a dumb question, but... do the audio shops not deliver to your country? I know Musicteck (US) and Elise Audio (UK) deliver internationally, and they both have the Project M in stock at $325 and €296,95 respectively.

I have also just set up this First Aid Kit as I like to call it for when that highly vicious Tip Roll Bug comes around.

1000013476.jpg

In the left corner, give a huuuuge round of applause to the following contenders: KBear 07, Tang Sancai, Canalworks, Final type E, Symbio, and W1!!

In the right corner, a bunch of well-established names as well: Spiraldot, Spring, Velvet, S&S, Coreir, and Clarion!!

The wait for the inevitable bug to come and bite me begins now.
You know you're an ear tip nerd when you can identify the majority of these sets at first glance. The only two that I couldn't tell were the KBear 07 and Canalworks.

Today's mailbox arrival is the Moondrop U-2 (Paperclip Edition, lol).

Haven't had a earbud in quite some time, last was the VE Monk Plus.

- Edit: slightly disappointing, Moondrop QC issue. They forgot to include the sponge covers.

thumbnail_20240521_140755.jpg
How does it sound without the foams? Their marketing says it doesn't need "sponge covers."

Early impressions I've read have been kinda mid. I have a set that's on its way too, but I might just return it without even unboxing it.

1716321492408.png

May 21, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #102,519 of 104,212
Might be a dumb question, but... do the audio shops not deliver to your country? I know Musicteck (US) and Elise Audio (UK) deliver internationally, and they both have the Project M in stock at $325 and €296,95 respectively.

You know you're an ear tip nerd when you can identify the majority of these sets at first glance. The only two that I couldn't tell were the KBear 07 and Canalworks.

How does it sound without the foams? Their marketing says it doesn't need "sponge covers."

Early impressions I've read have been kinda mid. I have a set that's on its way too, but I might just return it without even unboxing it.

1716321492408.png

I am leaning toward the Dita Project M to be my next iem purchase.

May 21, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #102,520 of 104,212
Switched out the Aur since it doesn't need any break in. Installed the Letshuoer Cadenza 4 . Stock cable did not sound that dynamic so installed a Nice HCK Dragon Scale. Much better.
There is just something about those hybrid IEMs!!

May 21, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #102,521 of 104,212
Have you tried the Kiwi Ears flex or is that on your radar? My understanding is that it's good for bass/mids and really tames down the highs. I've been tempted to try them.
Nope, no Flex or Liqueurs. I really don't feel like I need any more tips currently, since a combination of one of the pictured tips (+10 different tips I've got laying elsewhere) and a cable can achieve just about any flavour.

May 21, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #102,522 of 104,212
Nope, no Flex or Liqueurs. I really don't feel like I need any more tips currently, since a combination of one of the pictured tips (+10 different tips I've got laying elsewhere) and a cable can achieve just about any flavour.
For me the Liqueurs are the right size with the right amount of "stickiness" to get a great seal on pretty much any iems I've tried so far. I have 6 pairs and might order more soon 😅

May 21, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #102,523 of 104,212
I have also just set up this First Aid Kit as I like to call it for when that highly vicious Tip Roll Bug comes around.

1000013476.jpg

In the left corner, give a huuuuge round of applause to the following contenders: KBear 07, Tang Sancai, Canalworks, Final type E, Symbio, and W1!!

In the right corner, a bunch of well-established names as well: Spiraldot, Spring, Velvet, S&S, Coreir, and Clarion!!

The wait for the inevitable bug to come and bite me begins now.
Tippers.jpg

Here's mine. The spare tips case. Dunu S&S, Spring, Ultimate Ears Silicone, W1, Azla Xelestecs, and Spiral Dots.

May 21, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #102,524 of 104,212
For me, all mine are spare tips. The Licquers, the Origins, Coreirs, ect are all on IEMS currently.

May 21, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #102,525 of 104,212
Might be a dumb question
There is no such thing as a dumb question. :wink:
Thanks!

They usually send it, but sometimes, even from the EU, they don't. It's crazy, but true.
These two would send.

But I don't believe customs wouldn't charge me for that 35%.

Which, as you said respectfully, would cost around 400€ and the second one around 470€.

Cheers!

I have 6 pairs and might order more soon 😅
I have 9 pairs (6 orange and 3 black) and will soon order another 3 pairs, at least.
I am all in Penon Liqueur. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back