The discovery thread!
Jun 23, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #63,541 of 103,277
Exactly the same thing that all brands say when they launch a new model, and unfortunately it is not true in most cases.

The only sure thing that can be said is that it will be different, and surely many people will find it better, and others will find it worse.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #63,542 of 103,277
BL-03 is the best of the lot IMO and the one that brought BLON to the map. Harmanish with midbass bump, pleasant tonality, very analoguish and good timbre, but absolutely crap in technicalities. The BL-03 is infamous for a horrendous fit due to a too short nozzle. So most folk need to spend a bit more to get longer nozzle eartips and this adds to costs. There isn't a very pronounced 8 khz peak actually, it is not fatiguing.

Blon Cardinal was the predecessor of the BL-03, it is slightly brighter than the BL-03, but retains the same analoguish timbre and thick note weight. Shells are like the BGVP DM6 resin shells, look like semi customs. Much better fit, better isolation/subbass and marginally better technicalities. I still keep my pair as of today, but it is out of production and was retailing around $60 - 80 USD so it is questionable whether one should buy the Cardinal for a marginal improvement over the BL-03.

BL-05 (non S) was a fail, very shouty in the upper mids. Metallic tin can timbre. Nobody talks about it nowadays.

BL-05S (yes S version) was much better, I do think it is the 2nd best BLON. Balanced, mild V shaped set. It fixes the mid-bass bloat of the BL-03 and the shoutiness of the BL-05 (non S). More technical than the BL-03. Unfortunately, it came in a hospital green shell, and a lot of consumers got burned by the BL-05 (non S), these factors probably lessened the amount of people willing to try the BL-05S, so it is kind of forgotten nowadays too. I ever wore the BL-05S on the subway and got tons of stares like I was an alien from outer space, due to the green shells.

BL-01 - hard to drive, not much value add from BL-03. Fit was also iffy. V shaped generic sounding meh CHIFI.

BLON MINI - macaroni shaped IEM, lowFI sounding.

After that I gave up on the brand and didn't try some of the other recent releases, eg BLON BL-07, BLON Max, BLON A8 Prometheus. Reviews seem lukewarm on these, and these didn't garner much mainstream attention. And then we have the Fat Girl BLON, which seems to have been whacked badly on first reviews.

TLDR: BLON BL-03 is still their most prominent and famous IEM, pairing good timbre/tonality with crap technicalities. Sadly, they seem to have lost their way in recent times, living on past glories, and releasing mostly meh sets since then.
Blon BL07sadly is not worth trying when you have something like ESX in lower price. It have intense, shouty treble. It could be enjoyable only for ppl who can resist that.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #63,543 of 103,277
Exactly the same thing that all brands say when they launch a new model, and unfortunately it is not true in most cases.

The only sure thing that can be said is that it will be different, and surely many people will find it better, and others will find it worse.
I am with you on that. I know the driver is new but didn't stop me from AutoEQ'ing my Timeless to it. The cheap price will get some people off the fence and how different will get Timeless owners to consider it.

1656005730770.png

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #63,544 of 103,277
Shozy has always been terrible. Dark tunings. The EST 112 is the best of my collection, and expertly tuned. If the bass was just a tad faster and punchy, it would be damn near perfect. Buy a DUNU EST 112 and save your money on the Shozy.
You are entitled to your opinion but there have been some reviews, although not many, and the Magma has received good reviews for it tweeter arrangement. I agree that it has been hit or miss but you are jumping the gun a little.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #63,547 of 103,277
BA5A315C-6CF9-4D0F-8F7A-4DA53DD1B45E.jpeg

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #63,549 of 103,277
I got baited by this teaser for a split-second, thought it came out today.

Who's willing to bet the Dioko is gonna be the best selling IEM of 2022?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #63,550 of 103,277
I got excited when I saw the Dioko teaser but then saw "Coming soon"

I got baited by this teaser for a split-second, thought it came out today.

Who's willing to bet the Dioko is gonna be the best selling IEM of 2022?
If it able to be even marginally better than timeless at $99.
that will shook the sub-$100 trio. (aria, titans, olina)

But Aria is going for a refresh with the snow edition and so far review points out that its a decent upgrade from aria2

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #63,554 of 103,277
I can see the classic channel imbalance in the treble region. Timeless had that too...

I wonder one thing. Knowing the preference of crinacle with the tuning, isn't this neutral or let's say lacks brightness for his taste? Of course listening experience is always different especifically with planars. I remember he was criticizing some iems in the past for the deep they're having between 2khz-6khz. I might be remembering wrong.

Seeing the graph and assuming that big jump is the 8khz artifact, this set seems like gonna be dark comparing to timeless. Very nice transition from bass to mid section though...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back