The discovery thread!
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #63,571 of 103,251
I've been listening to the Shimin Li over the past week and I've got to say, I'm not that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it definitely isn't the Heart Mirror killer.
20220624_175558_HDR.jpg
Seeing the first few images and FR's and it potentially being another neutral budget IEM to challenge the Heart Mirror, I decided to get one. Loving my Heart Mirror I wanted to hear if it really was true. Sadly I can say that is not the case, the Heart Mirror is just that one step beyond. The signatures are different, balanced warm or neutral bright, but it also lacks the wow factor the Heart Mirror has. But that doesn't mean it's not a good IEM. When I stopped comparing the Shimin Li to the Heart Mirror and just enjoy it for what it is, I did start to enjoy it quite a bit more.

The Shimin Li has great build quality, good looks and are fairly comfortable. The 2-pin connectors on the cable are the only thing that can ruin the comfort as they have edges that are a little sharp. The cable itself is nice, although the rubber like coating might return to primordial goo in a few years like most of these coatings do. Only time will tell.

The bass is pretty good, it has good extension with pretty good textures. The treble is quite good but a bit of a double edged sword at times. It has good extension, is fairly clean and never sibilant. However it's prone to sounding harsh on some tracks. As a treble head I'm pretty unforgiving about treble quality but the Shimin Li has no big issues here other than the occasional harshness. It could be better but for €35 I'm not complaining. The treble isn't as crisp and clean as the Heart Mirror but when it comes to DD treble quality you just can't beat the CNT. I'll give the Shimin Li some points for trying though. The mids I'm not that fond of, it's rather congested when compared to the Heart Mirror and can at times sound a little hollow. It sometimes feels like it's being held back by something, like there is potential there but it just won't show it. I've tried a few things, but stuff like running it balanced doesn't reveal this potential like it did with the Tripowin x HBB Olina (man, that thing rocks when driven balanced :ksc75smile:). The Shimin Li does, just like the Heart Mirror, scale with power, although to a lesser extent.

The detail retrieval is no better or worse than the Heart Mirror with similar imaging, separation and layering. The only difference being the larger soundstage, in absolute size it's pretty close but the Shimin Li has a bigger presentation compared to the more intimate Heart Mirror. Although the soundstage is above average at this price point, something like the CCZ Emerald will beat the Shimin Li quite badly when it comes to soundstage, imaging, separation and layering. Despite having a slightly bigger soundstage than the Heart Mirror, it still sounds more congested and I'm not sure why this is. Might be due to the Heart Mirror having a clean presentation with a nice black background.

The Shimin Li is also sensitive to the tips used. And I'm not just talking about the sound signature here. This kind of tip sensitivity is not something I've had before. The tonality goes, depending on the tip you use, from pretty good to sounding off. Using tips to make it neutral warm completely ruins the tonality, and when you get a decent tonality the sound is more a warm mild V-shape rather than balanced warm, let alone neutral warm. How ever this is only using the included tips, haven't tried any other tips yet. This all leads to the Shimin Li being pretty bad at rock and metal as congestion and poor tonality really hurt these genres.

Overall the Shimin Li is a nice IEM with a balanced warm to warm mild v-shaped sound signature. Easy to listen to for long periods at a time. I could see people picking the Shimin Li over the heart mirror, especially if you can't stand a neutral bright signature. But do know it still has quite a bit of treble, more than most IEM's would have at this price. The sound quality of the Shimin Li is above average for the price but that doesn't mean you can't get better for less. Things have been rather competitive as of late, if the Shimin Li was released a few years ago it would have been one of the best choices under €50. But with the HZsound Heart Mirror, Reecho SG-01 OVA and CCA CRA existing it has some really stiff competition which in turn means the Shimin Li doesn't really stand out in the crowd. At least not with it's sound, golden IEM's always stand out...

Does seem like I need to get the Heart Mirror at some point. Having said that, the hint of warmth in Shimin Li is part of its appeal...I have other bright neutral sets.

Thanks for the comparison!

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #63,572 of 103,251
Happy Friday folks

1656094589683.png

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #63,573 of 103,251
Can't wait for Dioko reviews to drop in the upcoming weeks.

The Dioko will launch on Linsoul in the upcoming days, so tempted to get one but I'm currently saving for a Moondrop S8. Why must budget-fi get in the way?

Source: https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-x-crinacle-salnotes-dioko

Not expecting the Dioko to perform on the same level as the Timeless given the wide price gap but that tuning is delicious for $100!

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #63,574 of 103,251
I've been listening to the Shimin Li over the past week and I've got to say, I'm not that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it definitely isn't the Heart Mirror killer.

Seeing the first few images and FR's and it potentially being another neutral budget IEM to challenge the Heart Mirror, I decided to get one. Loving my Heart Mirror I wanted to hear if it really was true. Sadly I can say that is not the case, the Heart Mirror is just that one step beyond. The signatures are different, balanced warm or neutral bright, but it also lacks the wow factor the Heart Mirror has. But that doesn't mean it's not a good IEM. When I stopped comparing the Shimin Li to the Heart Mirror and just enjoy it for what it is, I did start to enjoy it quite a bit more.

The Shimin Li has great build quality, good looks and are fairly comfortable. The 2-pin connectors on the cable are the only thing that can ruin the comfort as they have edges that are a little sharp. The cable itself is nice, although the rubber like coating might return to primordial goo in a few years like most of these coatings do. Only time will tell.

The bass is pretty good, it has good extension with pretty good textures. The treble is quite good but a bit of a double edged sword at times. It has good extension, is fairly clean and never sibilant. However it's prone to sounding harsh on some tracks. As a treble head I'm pretty unforgiving about treble quality but the Shimin Li has no big issues here other than the occasional harshness. It could be better but for €35 I'm not complaining. The treble isn't as crisp and clean as the Heart Mirror but when it comes to DD treble quality you just can't beat the CNT. I'll give the Shimin Li some points for trying though. The mids I'm not that fond of, it's rather congested when compared to the Heart Mirror and can at times sound a little hollow. It sometimes feels like it's being held back by something, like there is potential there but it just won't show it. I've tried a few things, but stuff like running it balanced doesn't reveal this potential like it did with the Tripowin x HBB Olina (man, that thing rocks when driven balanced :ksc75smile:). The Shimin Li does, just like the Heart Mirror, scale with power, although to a lesser extent.

The detail retrieval is no better or worse than the Heart Mirror with similar imaging, separation and layering. The only difference being the larger soundstage, in absolute size it's pretty close but the Shimin Li has a bigger presentation compared to the more intimate Heart Mirror. Although the soundstage is above average at this price point, something like the CCZ Emerald will beat the Shimin Li quite badly when it comes to soundstage, imaging, separation and layering. Despite having a slightly bigger soundstage than the Heart Mirror, it still sounds more congested and I'm not sure why this is. Might be due to the Heart Mirror having a clean presentation with a nice black background.

The Shimin Li is also sensitive to the tips used. And I'm not just talking about the sound signature here. This kind of tip sensitivity is not something I've had before. The tonality goes, depending on the tip you use, from pretty good to sounding off. Using tips to make it neutral warm completely ruins the tonality, and when you get a decent tonality the sound is more a warm mild V-shape rather than balanced warm, let alone neutral warm. How ever this is only using the included tips, haven't tried any other tips yet. This all leads to the Shimin Li being pretty bad at rock and metal as congestion and poor tonality really hurt these genres.

Overall the Shimin Li is a nice IEM with a balanced warm to warm mild v-shaped sound signature. Easy to listen to for long periods at a time. I could see people picking the Shimin Li over the heart mirror, especially if you can't stand a neutral bright signature. But do know it still has quite a bit of treble, more than most IEM's would have at this price. The sound quality of the Shimin Li is above average for the price but that doesn't mean you can't get better for less. Things have been rather competitive as of late, if the Shimin Li was released a few years ago it would have been one of the best choices under €50. But with the HZsound Heart Mirror, Reecho SG-01 OVA and CCA CRA existing it has some really stiff competition which in turn means the Shimin Li doesn't really stand out in the crowd. At least not with it's sound, golden IEM's always stand out...
Very interesting analysis of the Shimin Li and Heart Mirror sound. I am not in the position to comment on the Heart Mirror, I have put off buying the Heart Mirror for a while and maybe I ought to do so sooner rather than later.

You mention that you tried a few things to make the Shimin Li, come out of its shell (words to that effect, unless misunderstood). I wonder if you have tried some other DAC/Amps. I am not in the position to dispute, argue or even agree with what you say, quite apart from the fact that I do not have the Heart Mirror, but I want to understand whether, from your point of view, DAC/Amps have had any influence on the tone and presentation of the sound on Shimin Li for you. I ask this question because that is my experience in the few hours I have had the Shimin Li.

Also I would like your take on this live recording of Schindler’s List by the NL Orchestra, which sounds absolutely brilliant with the instruments sounding natural to me, listening on a couple of DAC/Amps. However, the same piece, not live, on a class AB DAC/Amp, is more clinical and has much better resolution but the instruments did not sound quite as natural to my ears.

By the way, I stuck with the white wide bore tips so far. I would appreciate your view.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #63,578 of 103,251
Can't wait for Dioko reviews to drop in the upcoming weeks.

The Dioko will launch on Linsoul in the upcoming days, so tempted to get one but I'm currently saving for a Moondrop S8. Why must budget-fi get in the way?

Source: https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-x-crinacle-salnotes-dioko

Not expecting the Dioko to perform on the same level as the Timeless given the wide price gap but that tuning is delicious for $100!
I think it's got a chance to perform well technically, too.
1656110326108.png

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #63,580 of 103,251
100% Disagree...you havent unearthed full potential of BL01.

Mind blowing when paired with Ovidius B1 dongle...use any decent spc cable...i am using S12 cable on bl01...and final e tips...heaven. I own Timeless, S12, Olina....Olina is great besides from i tried B1 and BL01 combo this is my daily driver. Throw some 24bit flac..see magic widest 3D. B1 will expose if you throw mp3 or low recording. Thanks.

We all have our own opinion and I respect yours, but I use 24 bit FLAC and WAV files only, and have a Schiit Asgard 3 amp paired with the BLON BL-01 even now as I type. I have tried at least 15 different sources (amps, DAPs, dongles) with the BL-01. No doubt BLON BL-01 scales with amping, but even with amplification, I think it is just a tinge more technical than the BL-03 only. Nothing to write home about considering there are sub $50 single DDs like the Heart Mirror that kill the BL-01 in technicalities. Adding the poor fit of the BL-01 to the equation makes it a pretty meh set IMHO.

Another question then, is it worthwhile to pair a $20 IEM with a source/tips/cables that adds to it costing 10 times more? Is that putting the cart before the horse? Well I guess for folks who already are in this hobby for long, they have good sources and accessories lying about, but I find it hard to recommend to beginners to get a $100+ dongle/amp to pair with your first $20 IEM that you bought.

Actually the best gauge of whether an IEM stands the test of time, is whether it is still recommended and talked about months after release. There will be outliers, but TBH the BL-01 is hardly talked about nowadays. Older single DDs eg Final Audio E3000, Heart Mirror, BL-03, in contrast, are still spoken of frequently in forums.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #63,581 of 103,251
BL-01 - hard to drive, not much value add from BL-03. Fit was also iffy. V shaped generic sounding meh CHIFI.

Mind blowing when paired with Ovidius B1 dongle...use any decent spc cable...i am using S12 cable on bl01...and finalbe tips...heaven. I own Timeless, S12, Olina....Olina is great besides from i tried B1 and BL01 combo this is my daily driver. Throw some 24bit flac..see magic widest 3D. B1 will expose if you throw mp3 or low recording. Thanks

Mind blowing when paired with Ovidius B1 dongle...use any decent spc cable...i am using S12 cable on bl01...and final e tips...heaven. I own Timeless, S12, Olina....Olina is great besides from i tried B1 and BL01 combo this is my daily driver. Throw some 24bit flac..see magic widest 3D. B1 will expose if you throw mp3 or low recording. Thanks.
Thanks Carpet and Paul for liking....I am serious guys on BL01...so impressed that i got 3 sets...no1 with s12 spc cable paired with Ovidius B1 bass boosted....no2 with pure silver cable balanced clean sounding...and no3 with pure copper cable to be paired with xduoo mt604 amp since it likes only pure copper....yes BL01 eats 2w power. See photo thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20220625_113320.jpg
    20220625_113320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #63,582 of 103,251
We all have our own opinion and I respect yours, but I use 24 bit FLAC and WAV files only, and have a Schiit Asgard 3 amp paired with the BLON BL-01 even now as I type. I have tried at least 15 different sources (amps, DAPs, dongles) with the BL-01. No doubt BLON BL-01 scales with amping, but even with amplification, I think it is just a tinge more technical than the BL-03 only. Nothing to write home about considering there are sub $50 single DDs like the Heart Mirror that kill the BL-01 in technicalities. Adding the poor fit of the BL-01 to the equation makes it a pretty meh set IMHO.

Another question then, is it worthwhile to pair a $20 IEM with a source/tips/cables that adds to it costing 10 times more? Is that putting the cart before the horse? Well I guess for folks who already are in this hobby for long, they have good sources and accessories lying about, but I find it hard to recommend to beginners to get a $100+ dongle/amp to pair with your first $20 IEM that you bought.

Actually the best gauge of whether an IEM stands the test of time, is whether it is still recommended and talked about months after release. There will be outliers, but TBH the BL-01 is hardly talked about nowadays. Older single DDs eg Final Audio E3000, Heart Mirror, BL-03, in contrast, are still spoken of frequently in forums.

Mind blowing when paired with Ovidius B1 dongle...use any decent spc cable...i am using S12 cable on bl01...and finalbe tips...heaven. I own Timeless, S12, Olina....Olina is great besides from i tried B1 and BL01 combo this is my daily driver. Throw some 24bit flac..see magic widest 3D. B1 will expose if you throw mp3 or low recording. Thanks

Thanks Carpet and Paul for liking....I am serious guys on BL01...so impressed that i got 3 sets...no1 with s12 spc cable paired with Ovidius B1 bass boosted....no2 with pure silver cable balanced clean sounding...and no3 with pure copper cable to be paired with xduoo mt604 amp since it likes only pure copper....yes BL01 eats 2w power. See photo thanks for reading.

There is nothing wrong with a possible issue with the BLON BL01. It's a precarious beast. Number one, it doest really fit all that well, as it seems to "toe-in" on some people. Two, it can actually sound bad after full-burn-in due to the listeners mind getting used-to it's lack of sparkles and lack-luster response. It turns out a silver/copper cable can bring excitement as well the the ear-tip inversion. I had to do both in the end, but it showed me a great sound.........but only after all that.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #63,583 of 103,251

I respect your opinion...this hobby is subjective....for me even today i still reach out to bl01 than other new iems.

Yes fit issues...for me when i switch to straight 2pin instead of angled stock solved this.

And yes you dont purposfully buy high cost dac to pair with $20 iem but for me inthis hobby more than 2 years i bought stuff not for specific iems...then i try mix match to get perfect synergy....bl01 is not only about power it wont work for me on e44 or link 2 bal dongle but excellent pairing with B1..so i have no clue but i really enjoy for now and probably wont buy for a while.

For me what stands out on BL01
1. Bass hits hard and textured but not bloated
2. It is not technical i agree but more musical
3. Its replay feels more spacious like theatre but at the same time on B1 vocal feels intimate...which is special to me.

This is Just another single persons opinion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #63,584 of 103,251
I respect your opinion...this hobby is subjective....for me even today i still reach out to bl01 than other new iems.

Yes fit issues...for me when i switch to straight 2pin instead of angled stock solved this.

And yes you dont purposfully buy high cost dac to pair with $20 iem but for me inthis hobby more than 2 years i bought stuff not for specific iems...then i try mix match to get perfect synergy....bl01 is not only about power it wont work for me on e44 or link 2 bal dongle but excellent pairing with B1..so i have no clue but i really enjoy for now and probably wont buy for a while.

376DE92A-BCEA-425A-9261-338BA1980F25.jpeg

For me it took a bright silver plated copper cable and inverted tips to finally make the BL01 work?

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #63,585 of 103,251

For me what stands out on BL01
1. Bass hits hard and textured but not bloated
2. It is not technical i agree but more musical
3. Its replay feels more spacious like theatre but at the same time on B1 vocal feels intimate...which is special to me.

No prob friend, synergy is a very important aspect in this hobby, and we all hear differently (and have different priorities in the music).

I think what's most important is that one enjoys the gear we are using, that is priceless. And of course don't forget the music (instead of just focusing on the gear). There'll always be another hypetrain released next week, but there is a saying that the best IEM is the one that is currently in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back