The discovery thread!
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #92,867 of 103,227
Same way your brain can tell if the sibling or parent you are talking to has a cold when you haven't talked to them in a week.
Lol I assume you did not spend 10+ years with IEM before burn in, as you do to encode (I would even say hard engrave) the pitch of the voice of members of your family in your neurons :)

I would not get too confident in our brain sound memory, your auditory sense is not just a simple machine measuring the raw sound coming. There is whole signal processing going on as well - see auditory completion, missing fundamental effect, risset rhythm, McGurk effect and so on

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #92,868 of 103,227
Lol I assume you did not spend 10+ years with IEM before burn in, as you do to encode (I would even say hard engrave) the pitch of the voice of members of your family in your neurons :)

I would not get too confident in our brain sound memory, your auditory sense is not just a simple machine measuring the raw sound coming. There is whole signal processing going on as well - see auditory completion, missing fundamental effect, risset rhythm, McGurk effect and so on
Really, you are going to try to debate what a guy thought he heard? I'm out!

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #92,870 of 103,227
Capture+_2024-01-09-16-03-20.png
Capture+_2024-01-09-16-03-42.png

Capture+_2024-01-11-23-12-17.png
Capture+_2024-01-11-23-12-41.png

Capture+_2024-01-11-23-17-36.png
Capture+_2024-01-11-23-17-19.png

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #92,871 of 103,227
So i am going to leave my buying decision on you, no pressure!
Dude, that’s the essence of pressure :dt880smile:

FF5 vs Aful P8? Good question. I have never compared them side by side. One thing for sure is that FF5 is more open and spacious (because it’s an open earbud, duh). On the other hand, besides Serratus from TGXear, I haven’t heard any earbud that can position instruments in the stage as good as a good IEM like P8 and up. But of course, the out-of-ear staging of most earbuds is an advantage in and of itself.

I haven’t kept up with the earbuds market for a while so I have no idea how competitive FF5 is nowadays, but it was quite a strong performer back then. However, the enthusiast earbuds market is led by reviewer-turn-artisans like RikudouGoku and tgx78. If you want to jump to the earbuds rabbit hole, have a read at the earbud thread, join their discord, and maybe look at the produce lines of the gentlemen above. @baskingshark is also an expert in this area. I’m just a layman comparing to them.

How I use my FF5:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #92,872 of 103,227
A few words on my initial impressions of the Oriveti OD200. I've got about 30-40 hours of burn in. I am using the stock 8 core cable that is very supple indeed and very hard to tangle up. The fit of the metal shell is semi-custom shape and fits me at quite straight angle. Because of other reviews I have the silver nozzles fitted. 14mm tips such as Acoustune 07, Spiral Dots, the new Penon Liqueur tips, all fit my ear well, because of the straight angle of tip entry. Penon 15.5mm Orange tips because of the entry angle, surprisingly fit well too.

First thoughts

First thing I noticed was a very forward bass. I would in no way call these bass-head, but the forward placement of the bass means that it is always noticeably part of anything played. It is a very detailed bass. Bass notes do not have any hardness and do not have hard edges, but a slightly softer warmer edged texture. Instruments like the double bass, low drum notes are very forward in the mix in a very enjoyable manner. This is part of the general staging. Drum skins are almost planar like in their textural accuracy. Mids and vocals have a very musical tone and timbre, and are staged exactly where they should be. Piano notes such as the Gnossiennes of Eric Satie are almost luminous and almost reflect the white shine of the piano keys. The tuning is extremely coherent and organic and has no harshness. Indian music such as Ganamurthy by the late, U. Srinivas is tonally superb through these OD200's, with tablas, staged and sounding positionally correct as if actually at a concert. With vocal Jazz, My Funny Valentine, Chet Baker, sees the Double Bass alongside Bakers voice and the liquid piano notes just behind. Imaging on Yosi Horikawa's, Bubbles, is precise. The stage though is not uber wide, but has depth and height. In Justin Sullivan's, New Model Army's, Bradford war rock group, "You Weren't There", harmonicas sound good and his emotion is strongly generated by this Oriveti OD200. Treble to my old ears is not heavy in detail and technicality and therefore non-fatiguing....not quite up to ESTs....but with this silver nozzle very agreeable but lacking the sparkle of some drivers.
Overall this is a great sounding IEM...that is for sure. It is holistically an organic, coherent, sounding IEM that I think everybody would enjoy...except the technicality junkies. (I did notice that there was a 10% discount sign on the Oriveti site). For the $199 this is an IEM that I would enjoy as my Desert Island IEM. The DAD method that Oriveti use definitely is a winner and makes a difference. I paid for this with my own money because of the recommendations.

With the Penon Vocal cable....everything goes up a notch and shines a bit more. All through my HiBy R6 III, middle gain at between 40-46. These definitely seem to prefer a bit of power to deliver.
Hard to disagree. Thumbs up on this review.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #92,873 of 103,227
Anyone have any experience with the NiceHCK "Our Laura"?
It's a nicer all copper cable. THICC, too.
I was also considering a few different cables around $40 to $60 from the usual suspects [XINHS, ivipQ, NiceHCK].
I am open to suggestions but am currently looking for copper and the thicker the better.
My understanding is that the DTE900 sounds best with copper cables and the ones I have are aight but kinda mediocre.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #92,874 of 103,227
Anyone have any experience with the NiceHCK "Our Laura"?
It's a nicer all copper cable. THICC, too.
I was also considering a few different cables around $40 to $60 from the usual suspects [XINHS, ivipQ, NiceHCK].
I am open to suggestions but am currently looking for copper and the thicker the better.
My understanding is that the DTE900 sounds best with copper cables and the ones I have are aight but kinda mediocre.
Penon Pac480 is a thicc boi. I love mine

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #92,875 of 103,227
Dude, that’s the essence of pressure :dt880smile:

FF5 vs Aful P8? Good question. I have never compared them side by side. One thing for sure is that FF5 is more open and spacious (because it’s an open earbud, duh). On the other hand, besides Serratus from TGXear, I haven’t heard any earbud that can position instruments in the stage as good as a good IEM like P8 and up. But of course, the out-of-ear staging of most earbuds is an advantage in and of itself.

I haven’t kept up with the earbuds market for a while so I have no idea how competitive FF5 is nowadays, but it was quite a strong performer back then. However, the enthusiast earbuds market is led by reviewer-turn-artisans like RikudouGoku and tgx78. If you want to jump to the earbuds rabbit hole, have a read at the earbud thread, join their discord, and maybe look at the produce lines of the gentlemen above. @baskingshark is also an expert in this area. I’m just a layman comparing to them.

How I use my FF5:
image.jpg
Ah okay! Thanks. Will dig around more. Oh didn't realise baskingshark is also into earbuds. Will look into that section of headfi a bit more carefully. Not sure if I want to get into earbuds, but if something like that ff5 ( almost better than blessing 2 with a grander soundstage) exists at that attractive price (it's around 100-120$ here) I don't mind at all.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #92,876 of 103,227
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #92,878 of 103,227
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #92,879 of 103,227
Ah okay! Thanks. Will dig around more. Oh didn't realise baskingshark is also into earbuds. Will look into that section of headfi a bit more carefully. Not sure if I want to get into earbuds, but if something like that ff5 ( almost better than blessing 2 with a grander soundstage) exists at that attractive price (it's around 100-120$ here) I don't mind at all.
Don’t go into earbuds thinking there might be options that can play equal (or better) with what makes a good IEM a good IEM: passive noise isolation, nuanced low end, visceral thump, well defined micro details. It’s a physical impossibility for an earbud to compete with these traits, because of the lack of seal and intrusion into the ear canal.

I’ve got 2 pairs of earbuds and neither costs more than $25 USD; they’re used primarily for listening to YouTube videos, on my desktop setup.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #92,880 of 103,227
Geek Wold GK10s
Here are the specs for the previous non-s model:

Model: GK10
Driver configuration:
1 balanced armature for high frequency
2 piezoelectric ceramic for ultra-high frequency
7mm graphene diaphragm dynamic for middle frequency
8mm dome titanium diaphragm dynamic for bass
Panel: stable wood
Shell material: ABS+PC
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 106dB
Frequency response range: 20-30kHz
Cable material: 6-strand silver-plated
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable length: 1.2m

Geek Wold GK10s 1BA + 2 Piezoelectric + 2 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi In-ear Earphone

Specification

5 Driver Hybrid Hi-Fi In-ear Earphone
Model:GK10S
Driver:1 Balanced armature + 2 Piezoelectric ceramics +2 Dynamic Driver
Frequency:20Hz-40kHz
Impedance:100

Sensitivity:106dB
Cable length:1.2M
Package
GK10s
Cable
6 pairs of silicone eartips

First box opening impressions:
Simply put...............I never heard the original GK10, but this 5 driver GK10s is slightly on the warm side, especially in comparison to the GK20 and GK100 I have heard? Such an optional tone may be wanted if folks found the GK100 and/or GK20 too bright or trebly? Yet this GK10s still contains the Geek Wold house sound.....somehow? Yet down tuned.........so much so that female vocals are not really pushed out into position? There still is separation and vivid fun as it is a multi-driver Hybrid for under $50.00!

SO.........what we are left with is decent separated bass, a smooth treble and a slant to the upper midrange character which makes guitars sound on the boarder of nasal, yet still toned down. Despite all this talk, there is a lot of IEM here for the money. I did comparisons to the SIMGOT EA1000 this AM and the GK10s held its own, especially how the the midrange is more laid back. Holding its own due to the extra qualities a Hybrid can bring over a DD. IMO

I'm just starting burn-in so I will leave it at that. Oh.......the original GK10 made quite the ruckus here in this very thread when introduced. It is truly the opposite of a vocal IEM, yet with that said.......instrumental music is fantastic.........being itemized and separated with all these drivers firing off?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/geek-wold-gk20.26850/reviews#review-32580
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/geek-wold-gk100.26460/reviews#review-31384

DSC_1598.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_1592.jpegw.jpeg

DSC_1552.jpegwqw.jpeg

DSC_1600.jpegw.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back