The discovery thread!
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #96,271 of 101,088
Can I tease with this?

Perfect Waves 7 Seas, 7 drivers tribrid no bass bleed, non shouty mids, great high extension, very good soundstage, layering and imaging. ugh $89??
Your custom IEM???? That mythical tribrid is finally done? That 8kHz is a bit scary, and I am not a big fan of that hump around 1.25kHz, but will need to hear.

Where can I buy?

Edit: don’t tell me it’s Penon store

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #96,272 of 101,088
stop with the elitism and use airpod like everyone else :dt880smile:
Can you guess why I even asked that?
It's not for judging, making fun or laughing.

I am open to a free mind; everyone should do whatever they want (unless it affects someone else).

But this is the thing... many IEMs or headphones on the market are selling as used.

Basically, you will rarely or never find a 100% honest description of the item.

I am not saying that all are hiding something, but lots are.
For items 5, 10 or even 20 years old, I read in the description: "barely used" :))

Yup, right...or only visible traces of regular use...dudes...

I am using my stuff, and I have plenty of them...
and no matter how old they are, there are no visible traces of regular use; everything is in mint condition and like new.
Why? Because I am careful when using them, simple as that.

Recently, I read some comments about running with 2k IEMs...and I was thinking...really, and then you sell them as new?!
It's easy to wipe sweat from outside, ok...but how can you wipe the internals?

So I am all good if folks do that...why not...some folks have that kind of money; 2k is like $2 for me.
I can't blame them, nor will I...
But then...if you do so...please don't put them on the market...it's not fair for others who buy them...especially with the description "like new".

Explain exactly what you were doing with your IEMs, and then it's all good, but that won't happen.

So that was my point...not to judge :)

That is also the reason why I avoid buying used IEMs or headphones.

I bought two pairs recently, but I was sure I was buying from individuals who treat IEMs respectfully as I do.

They know who they are... :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #96,273 of 101,088
What exactly you mean by "dynamics"? Urd has better dynamics means.... So that there is no confusion about what exactly it does in that regard? I see people use dynamics and other terms differently...
I'm a musician , so I think in terms of how musicians consider the dynamics of a song. To me, an iem with poor dynamics would play back rather monotonously, with little change in volume across an entire piece of music.

Think of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'. An iem with poor dynamics will play the guitar into (right ear) fairly moderately loud and when the second guitar comes in, the two guitars will be roughly at the same volume/presense.

In an iem with good dynamics: You will hear the first guitar (right ear) much quieter in the background. When the second guitar comes in, it is noticeably more 'loud' and more present in the mix, leaving a nice dymanic contrast from soft to loud in the same song.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #96,274 of 101,088
Looking for Recommendations, would appreciate any input:

Need headphones for Gym/running/exercise outdoors. I go through cables (no, don't want wireless) often, so I need a pair that takes MMCX cables (which I can source/replace cheaply with an inline Mic for calls).
Another need is a thin tip/nozzle that takes classic SHURE 215/415/815 long foam tips (fox maximum passive isolation and comfort for my ear canals). So, that rules out all the modern dynamic driver IEMs with short and wide bore tips/nozzles. Yeah, I've tried half a dozen wide bores and they are all somewhere in my cupboard unused (along with all the dozens tips I've bought for them).
Also, I exercise also outside a lot , sometimes in -30°C degrees, so metal casings and sharp angles in the IEM shell are a total no-no for me. 100% resin and small round shells for me.

So in summary: IEMs with MMCX connectors (5) , Comply P -series foam tip compatible (thin/long tips) (2) and resin shells (rounded) (6, in the image below).

What options are there still out there?

My cheap go to used to be Audiosense T260 and the T300, but they are no longer available via Audiosense store @Aliexpress (or Amazon):

1709125781747.png

I've been looking hard on ShenzenAudio, Aliexpress and other sites, but searching by nozzle size / connector type / shell is next to impossible, so I've come up empty so far.

Do I need to go back to buying overpriced Shures and Westones to get what I want?

Or are there still some good alternatives available for my specific needs?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #96,275 of 101,088
Penon 10th Anniversary

I’ve decided to slow down my acquisitions, of trending, mid-fi sets and have taken a stance of waiting for member feedback. Plus this hobby being as subjective as it is, there's bound to be sets that just don't do it, for all given forum members. So the classifieds can be a boon for trying out costly sets, on a budget.
Thanks to @carlton22 for a great deal, on a pristine 10th.

profile: unapologetic Basshead, with treble sensitivity. My default line of IEMs are the Xenns family, for on the go, with my FiiO BTR7.

What attracted me to the 10th, for my first Penon ?
There are many positive reviews on Head-Fi (link to Head-fi reviews) But (for my criteria) the first two by @Dsnuts & @ToneDeafMonk pretty much earmarked the funds. From what I've garnered:
a. Penon's house sound prioritizes vocals and is friendly to those with treble sensitivity
b. A "W" sound signature
c. The 10th has the double dynamic from the Fan 2; which from prior reviews, has a strong low end

Pre-purchase concerns:
1. Will the FiiO BTR7 have enough juice or will this be another set relegated to my desktop ?
2. Some reviewers represented the bass response as BA fast. I prefer a traditional DD's lengthier decay of the sub bass
3. Shell size, shape

Post purchase findings:
1. More than adequate playback on the BTR7, but note weight and soundstage level up on my desktop, THX AAA 789
2. Visceral sub bass, with the rebound/decay that only a DD can deliver
3. Unfortunately the contours of my finnicky left ear wouldn't play nice. As the earpiece doesn't seat well and kept walking out; which the negated the use of the desired Azla SednaEarfit Crystals. So I had to use an oversized foam tip

What makes the 10ths a keeper for my collection:
:ballot_box_with_check: visceral sub bass, with the rebound/decay that only a DD can deliver
:ballot_box_with_check: The balance between the bass and mids, resulting in superior vocals
:ballot_box_with_check: forward vocals
:ballot_box_with_check: details
:ballot_box_with_check: non-fatiguing upper bands

I would put the 10th in a photo finish with the Xenns Mangird Top. The winner being dictated by my mood, of the given day.
I’ve always felt that the Top’s low end (on some songs) can be heavy handed; which forces me to abandon my use of foam tips and go with Azla SednaEarfit Crystals instead. To keep the mids and highs from being overshadowed by a sometimes dominant low end.

Penon 10th wTips.jpg

Aful P8 vs Top.jpg

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #96,276 of 101,088
Looking for Recommendations, would appreciate any input:

Need headphones for Gym/running/exercise outdoors. I go through cables (no, don't want wireless) often, so I need a pair that takes MMCX cables (which I can source/replace cheaply with an inline Mic for calls).
Another need is a thin tip/nozzle that takes classic SHURE 215/415/815 long foam tips (fox maximum passive isolation and comfort for my ear canals). So, that rules out all the modern dynamic driver IEMs with short and wide bore tips/nozzles. Yeah, I've tried half a dozen wide bores and they are all somewhere in my cupboard unused (along with all the dozens tips I've bought for them).
Also, I exercise also outside a lot , sometimes in -30°C degrees, so metal casings and sharp angles in the IEM shell are a total no-no for me. 100% resin and small round shells for me.

So in summary: IEMs with MMCX connectors (5) , Comply P -series foam tip compatible (thin/long tips) (2) and resin shells (rounded) (6, in the image below).

What options are there still out there?

My cheap go to used to be Audiosense T260 and the T300, but they are no longer available via Audiosense store @Aliexpress (or Amazon):

1709125781747.png

I've been looking hard on ShenzenAudio, Aliexpress and other sites, but searching by nozzle size / connector type / shell is next to impossible, so I've come up empty so far.

Do I need to go back to buying overpriced Shures and Westones to get what I want?

Or are there still some good alternatives available for my specific needs?

If you're OK with using MMCX-to-QDC adaptors, there's a pretty decent Ety clone on Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003712610618.html

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #96,277 of 101,088
graph-6.png

Just going to leave this graph here.
And my shame in actually buying one.

Yes thats +18db of pina gain.

OMG what are you thinking KZ wrong direction.

Well it will make for a interesting review.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #96,278 of 101,088
Can I tease with this?

perfect waves 7 seas small price.jpg

Perfect Waves 7 Seas.jpg

20240228_180822.jpg

Perfect Waves 7 Seas, 7 drivers tribrid no bass bleed, non shouty mids, great high extension, very good soundstage, layering and imaging. ugh $89??
I buy IEMs for sound, not looks. But the Torx bolts on the faceplate detract from the beauty of those shells, IMO.

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #96,279 of 101,088
I'm a musician , so I think in terms of how musicians consider the dynamics of a song. To me, an iem with poor dynamics would play back rather monotonously, with little change in volume across an entire piece of music.

Think of Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'. An iem with poor dynamics will play the guitar into (right ear) fairly moderately loud and when the second guitar comes in, the two guitars will be roughly at the same volume/presense.

In an iem with good dynamics: You will hear the first guitar (right ear) much quieter in the background. When the second guitar comes in, it is noticeably more 'loud' and more present in the mix, leaving a nice dymanic contrast from soft to loud in the same song.
Thanks NiteRiter and @suman134 for the very neat explanations.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #96,280 of 101,088
20240229_014213.jpg

Testing out the TINHIFI T2 MK.II with HIBY R6 PRO II. Richard Wagner definitely loves the rich, hearty and robust sounding brass instrument section, violins, clarinets, snare drum, sopranos vocals and bass-baritones. I listened to Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen for almost 2 hours already.

20240229_014156.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #96,281 of 101,088
Hello, I am looking for new iems. I am not very good at differentiating tje different sound signatures. I have kz zsx and 7 zh salenotes zero. I like the vivid and energetic sound of kz zsx. However, on some songs kz zsx is a bit sharp. I find 7zh salenotes zero a bit boring and lifeless.
My criteria for iem are:
* wired prefarably with mic
* without extra bass
* clear vocals - my musical genres are musical theatre, hiphop, pop, rap, rock
* bugdet up to 200 usd - or something more expensive second hand.

Ps: Thanks in advance.
If I have written to some of you before with the same request sorry for the repetion.
I apologise for any mistakes. English is not my mother tongue.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #96,282 of 101,088
Hello, I am looking for new iems. I am not very good at differentiating tje different sound signatures. I have kz zsx and 7 zh salenotes zero. I like the vivid and energetic sound of kz zsx. However, on some songs kz zsx is a bit sharp. I find 7zh salenotes zero a bit boring and lifeless.
My criteria for iem are:
* without extra bass

If I have written to some of you before with the same request sorry for the repetion.
1709144295634.png

My vote is the ISN NEO3. These are pretty much perfect for your music genres.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #96,283 of 101,088
My criteria for iem are:
* without extra bass

Maybe try the Simgot EW200 or EA500LM if you want a more technical set.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #96,284 of 101,088
Can you guess why I even asked that?
It's not for judging, making fun or laughing.

I am open to a free mind; everyone should do whatever they want (unless it affects someone else).

But this is the thing... many IEMs or headphones on the market are selling as used.

Basically, you will rarely or never find a 100% honest description of the item.

I am not saying that all are hiding something, but lots are.
For items 5, 10 or even 20 years old, I read in the description: "barely used" :))

Yup, right...or only visible traces of regular use...dudes...

I am using my stuff, and I have plenty of them...
and no matter how old they are, there are no visible traces of regular use; everything is in mint condition and like new.
Why? Because I am careful when using them, simple as that.

Recently, I read some comments about running with 2k IEMs...and I was thinking...really, and then you sell them as new?!
It's easy to wipe sweat from outside, ok...but how can you wipe the internals?

So I am all good if folks do that...why not...some folks have that kind of money; 2k is like $2 for me.
I can't blame them, nor will I...
But then...if you do so...please don't put them on the market...it's not fair for others who buy them...especially with the description "like new".

Explain exactly what you were doing with your IEMs, and then it's all good, but that won't happen.

So that was my point...not to judge :)

That is also the reason why I avoid buying used IEMs or headphones.

I bought two pairs recently, but I was sure I was buying from individuals who treat IEMs respectfully as I do.

They know who they are... :)

Cheers!
I was talking to myself when I say “stop with elitism”, not you 😂 though now I can see how i read like that. Sorry, will phrase better next time. English writing is hard

Edit: my local hifi store has a bunch of tiny alcohol wipes for IEM. Fresh as new after every demo.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #96,285 of 101,088
graph-6.png
Just going to leave this graph here.
And my shame in actually buying one.

7E2CF03D-1180-4899-9D46-E7AC7AEA2B8E.jpeg

This brands move so fast. @baskingshark is right. I haven’t even recorded the video of Trio and another pokemon has been released

Users who are viewing this thread

Back