The discovery thread!
May 1, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #100,201 of 102,247
Here is my indepth review of the Kinera Verdandi :

I was expecting a warmer and similar to Urd kind of presentation but it's tuned more like the Norn. I was definitely expecting a bit more from this lower high end IEM.

May 1, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #100,202 of 102,247
May 1, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #100,203 of 102,247
May 1, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #100,204 of 102,247
Yes but SIMGOT has tuning filters, The cloud has a bit different on PR implementation though.
I wonder if I can completely mute the PR by taping it off. I’m curious what that driver really contributes to the sound. My hunch is it produces a similar effect to those vibrating ceramic plates (aka “bone conduction” driver).

May 1, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #100,205 of 102,247
My Forever Singolo review is now live and you can check it out Right Over Here

20240418_170545~3.jpg

A nicely done single DD in my view!

May 1, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #100,207 of 102,247
I wonder if I can completely mute the PR by taping it off. I’m curious what that driver really contributes to the sound. My hunch is it produces a similar effect to those vibrating ceramic plates (aka “bone conduction” driver).
This one might explain.

received_332813186152099.png
received_266869026421208.png

May 1, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #100,208 of 102,247
Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 3.31.12 PM.jpeg

DSC_0298.jpeg heaven.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I'm all done?

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #100,209 of 102,247
May 1, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #100,210 of 102,247
I read this one, and I read Simgot’s EA1000 and EA2000 description again.

I still don’t understand 🤡
I think that the PR might act as a dampener too.

May 1, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #100,211 of 102,247
The spiccato is also insane, right? The soloist is incredible.

I'm stoopid, so even after looking up spiccato, I'm not sure where I would hear that. :confused: However, the first movement of Winter is so electric and raw that this is the first time I "felt" those icy winds it's meant to represent.

May 1, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #100,212 of 102,247
I'm stoopid, so even after looking up spiccato, I'm not sure where I would hear that. :confused: However, the first movement of Winter is so electric and raw that this is the first time I "felt" those icy winds it's meant to represent.
Sorry, didn’t mean to use jargon 😂 it’s the sound when bow flying and bouncing against the string. I think it was used in winter or autumn. There was a very chaotic part. The violinist was incredible there.

May 1, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #100,213 of 102,247
I spent the past two days just shooting some new videos and stuff. Today, I posted my review for the Kinera Verdandi. I personally like this IEM, here are the Pros and Cons as per me.

Pros:-

>Super Beautiful, looks very charming.

>Absolutely solid bass response, it hits hard and gives you physical feel. The Sub-bass rumble is soul shaking, and the overall Bass is super fun.

>Midrange is nicely forwarded, we have a W-shaped tuning. Vocals sound well-textured and clear. Both male and female vocals are quite charming.

>Treble is smooth, clear, and inoffensive.

>A musical and captivating sound.

>Rich and organic tonality, feels very natural and smooth sounding. It is not offensive at all, one can listen to the Verdandi for hours and hours.

>Soundstage is big and massive, quite 3D and captivating.

Cons:-

>Requires a decent source to sound its best. With low-power or entry-level sources, sounds a bit thin and lean.

>Shells are a bit on the bigger side, so fit might be an issue for people with smaller ears.

>It is not for treble heads, it has a very smooth and inoffensive treble region.

You can watch my in-depth review on my YT Channel here:-

Thank You!!

May 1, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #100,214 of 102,247
I read this one, and I read Simgot’s EA1000 and EA2000 description again.

I still don’t understand 🤡

Not exactly.
PR is the cavity that by its design can enhance and/or suppress some frequencies based on a Helmholz resonator. Interfering with the PR holes will affect only some frequencies, similar to ocarina.
Here, after fast search, a relevant strory that can give you some ideas: https://audioxpress.com/article/sound-control-the-ubiquitous-helmholtz-resonator.
Body-coduction drivers closer to resonators would be those based on haptic transducers (some motor) rather then using piezoelectric transducers (most commonly implemented by multilayer ceramics).
@PhonoPhi not that I’m “industry insider” or anything but I do have the pleasure to talk to a few reps here and there. Most are not that insidious 😂 they are usually as geeky and passionate as you and I, if not more.

But yeah, I always wonder where the crossover between cheap and expensive gear is, especially if the cheap(er) gear has the same drivers and technology. But someone earlier today raised a good point: it’s sometimes cheaper to reverse engineer the R&D of others.

Anyhow, there is no shortage of good stuff at any price.
First, interestingly, mentioning someone's name upon editing does not produce an alert, as it is usually done.

Second, it is absolutely great to be friendly and positive, and I have no doubts that most (even all) representatives are great people.

Yet, companies are to earn money (capitalism), and R&D in cables, as it is often touted to "believers" has never been demonstrated, (to put it friendly).
I did ask 5 times different cable sellers and retailers: please explain to me what is exactly impoved (I was looking to buy, anything 1/4 credible would do!). Surprisingly or not, I heard only universally that "some can hear the difference". Well, I am not "some", and so much for "science...
Perhaps, one can ask Eletech, one of the most eloquent companies alluding to their R&D, about their measurements highlighting the differences between their "engineered" cables and a simple 0.2-0.3 Ohm per strand silver-plated 99.99 copper one. It would be really great to see! (and rather safe to bet on outcomes of it happening).
I did spend quite a bit of time with cables, measuring what I was curious about for the hobby. So I do have two-three points where I would love to see the difference between "money is no object" designs and simple good cables at ca. $20.

IEMs surely incorporate more R&D, yet if you think, different drivers are essentially combined, and often price levels are determined by the number of expensive drivers, such as ESTs, incorporated.

I'm pretty sure I'm all done?
All done? We wish!
"Master research/wizardry" of fashion in cables seems to become ever bold and relentless! Not surprising to witness creeping into evoking religious allusions.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #100,215 of 102,247
I opened the DZ4 and put tape over the PR's. Due to the strange PR implementation in DZ4 I got more bass and a bit less airy sound. Ended up removing the tape, liked stock better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back