The End-Game Solid State Amplifier Master List
May 25, 2023 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 184

smallcaps

1000+ Head-Fier
Motivation

Are you tired of chasing the mid-fi amp dragon? Done with flings and one-night stands with gear that was just good enough, even when your friends tell you otherwise? Are you finished doing the Walk of Shame to the Classifieds forum? Would you like to put an end to your addiction and settle down with something special to just enjoy the music?

This thread contains an evolving list of "ne plus ultra" solid-state amplifier recommendations from members of the Head-Fi community. If you have a recommendation, please share your impressions and reasoning for a one-and-done solid-state amplifier that can drive current and future headphones for a lifetime and beyond.

Criteria
  • Must be an amplifier that is the "Top-of-the-Line" and "End-Game" worthy. (I know, this one is debatable but let's see how it plays out.).
  • Must be an amp that enables the owner to resist FOMO for other amps (Again, a flaky criterion, at best. Still, let's entertain this and see what happens.)
  • Must be versatile and be able to drive up to Susvara-levels of performance requirements, while also allowing for easy-to-drive headphones, too.
  • Must have analog inputs, even if an on-board DAC is available.
  • Must be available for purchase on the retail market (There is another list below for upcoming amps.).
  • Does not include e-stats and/or pure (SET, OTL, etc.) tube amplifiers.
  • Any "tube-ified" recommendations should be hybrid types.
Master List
The current list as recommended by forum members. If you would like to refute or support any of these amps, please do so within the thread as I am sure members would love to hear your opinion.
To Be Released (Unevaluated)
This list contains upcoming amps that have yet to reach the hands (ears?) of forum members. Please add your impressions below.
To Be Debated
This list contains amps that may or may not hit all the criteria for the list. Please share your votes for or against these amps so that we can either add or remove them from the Master List.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 184
I vote for the Bliss KTE, it is the best all rounder with fairly neutral sound.
From my experience it is better than the Nimbus everyway.

I really want to recommend the GSX-mk2 but if you are into planars, Bliss does a slightly better job on HE-6 and Susvara you mentioned.

The HPA-1 might not even have enough gain for a Susvara or HE-6 if your source output is 2v. And it is one of the warmest TOTL solid state headphone amp, probably not as neutral/flat as you wanted.

May 25, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 184
Hi everyone. Would like to tap into the collective experience and wisdom of the community.

After chasing the (gear) dragon for over a decade, I would like to put an end to my addiction by selling off all my low-end and mid-fi gear and settling down with something special to just enjoy the music. Please share your impressions, recommendations and reasoning for a one-and-done SS amp that can drive current and future headphones for a lifetime and beyond.

Some loose criteria are as follows:
  • A neutral, flat response that responds well to EQ
  • Great technicals that include bottomless noise floor, good transient response, imaging and soundstage
  • Enough power to drive the hardest of headphones (HE6 and Susvara-level power?) while being able to run sensitive headphones on occasion
I've been looking at the Zahl but it seems to be hard to get. Another consideration I've been checking out is the Violectric Nimbus US 5 Pro. Any other recommendations that don't need me to remortgage the house (under 10k USD) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your advice, opinions, time and consideration.
I would put in a vote for a Hybrid unit, the iFi Pro iCAN Signature.
Tons of power, bass boost is a blast, 3D for your planars, three levels of gain, tube or SS sound and the power rating is 14 watts per channel at 16 Ohms.

I have the OG version and I find it almost magical with my HiFiman HE6se V2's. At the opposite end it is fun to give my Grado's a little bass boost.

May 25, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 184
Thanks, everyone these are really great suggestions. So far they have been (in no particular order):
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a few of these, however, I have auditioned the GS-X mk2, Benchmark BHA-1 and iCAN Signature. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Bliss KTE purely based on the reviews and impressions I've read. The Zaehl is also right up there but I would have to wait at least another year in order to get a shot at getting one.

Really appreciate the input and I'll update the original post with the shortlist so far. Any other suggestions and I'll update accordingly!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back