The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Feb 16, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #1,951 of 2,214
Have bought some Blue Jeans Cat6a to run in-wall from my router to switch.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #1,952 of 2,214
If you are in EU and looking for a budget option for a "final cable", the Audiophonics Cat7 is a very good choice for below 100 credits. It's basically Viablue cable + Telegaertners, has a fast, warm, natural sound which is my preference, combines also very well with other cables such as Supra which most people have (though you shouldn't be really using the Supra longterm). Looks spiffy too. Have been using this in my desktop for the last couple of years, it easily beat some of the usual suspects in this price category (Wireworld, Audioquest, Supra - have not tried Inakustik or the Furutech) as a last cable. Do not buy if your preference is a "high res" slow bright sound!

I think this is a cable worth trying, it has been one of two things i have trouble removing from my desktop ethernet chain (the other being the Baaske isolator). The usual disclaimers apply: synergy, preference, yadda yadda etc.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,953 of 2,214
If you are in EU and looking for a budget option for a "final cable", the Audiophonics Cat7 is a very good choice for below 100 credits. It's basically Viablue cable + Telegaertners, has a fast, warm, natural sound which is my preference, combines also very well with other cables such as Supra which most people have (though you shouldn't be really using the Supra longterm). Looks spiffy too. Have been using this in my desktop for the last couple of years, it easily beat some of the usual suspects in this price category (Wireworld, Audioquest, Supra - have not tried Inakustik or the Furutech) as a last cable. Do not buy if your preference is a "high res" slow bright sound!

I think this is a cable worth trying, it has been one of two things i have trouble removing from my desktop ethernet chain (the other being the Baaske isolator). The usual disclaimers apply: synergy, preference, yadda yadda etc.
Thanks for sharing that shielded cables and connectors are good :gs1000smile:

People who have problem with shielded cables in terms of noise, don´t look for other places than judging the cable/connector

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,954 of 2,214
:sunglasses:If you are in EU and looking for a budget option for a "final cable", the Audiophonics Cat7 is a very good choice for below 100 credits. It's basically Viablue cable + Telegaertners, has a fast, warm, natural sound which is my preference, combines also very well with other cables such as Supra which most people have (though you shouldn't be really using the Supra longterm). Looks spiffy too.
Cheers for the recommendation - I have that and the Neotechs (both OCC copper and the silver) in my Audiophonics cart for a while there, both have a bunch of positive buyer reviews.

@OCC7N I think part of the objection from some folk re shielding is around the potential for ground loops and/or transfer of noise over the shielding if it is connected at both ends. With the best of both worlds being using shielding but grounding only at one end (this might've even been discussed recently on this thread, can't recall).

Which funnily enough is what I just experimented with with some '3k' carbon fibre sheathing from AliX. Well the shielding was floating, not grounded at either end I realise, will need to make an effort to extend the foil to the ethernet RJ-45 plug outer copper ground). Cables tested with:
  • an unshielded cat 5, a highly shielded Amazon Cat 8, a Furutech LAN-8 NCF each connected to an Ifi LAN iSilencer, the iFi on the feeding into my LHY switch, one cable from my server, the other from an FMC - one of a pair connecting to the router etc
  • a generic DC-USB cable used here: Topping P50 LPS > DC-USB cable > iFi DC iPurifier2 > downstream (closest to LHY) FMC.
Some nice improvements for all but the Furutech where it was marginal. And apart from the too short lengths (I only had a 3m length, so had to make some calls) I reckon they look a bit cooler too. Will try on a few more cables including XLR interconnects and clock cables.

All in all pretty happy with my carbon fibre shielding experiment/proof of concept, I shall be getting a bunch more. :sunglasses:

(This should probably be over in the AliX cables thread, but what the hey..)

20240226_114828.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #1,955 of 2,214
@OCC7N I think part of the objection from some folk re shielding is around the potential for ground loops and/or transfer of noise over the shielding if it is connected at both ends. With the best of both worlds being using shielding but grounding only at one end (this might've even been discussed recently on this thread, can't recall).
What I said. It is not the cable. The perspective from this faulty opinion is generally that unshielded is "better" because it is not shielded or the connector as well.

It is pure mislead. Shielded is even better on the right pairing. You can unshield as much as you want in the analog domain, but in digital it is a jungle of opinions that misleads people into thinking unshielded is better. Maybe safer approach regarding gnd, but not better.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #1,956 of 2,214

Thinking of ordering this cable as it looks to be good price. I will compare with the Supra, and 4 different others. I have heard good things about viablue cable in general. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #1,957 of 2,214
What I said. It is not the cable. The perspective from this faulty opinion is generally that unshielded is "better" because it is not shielded or the connector as well.
Better, but not 'because...'

Twisted pair creates high impedance to the common-mode noise, so it stops a noise in RF range. It is complementary to DC blocking (and mains noise) on the transformers. Works together...

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #1,959 of 2,214
I use audioquest Diamond Ethernet cables. Works well.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #1,960 of 2,214
And I use homemade and tested cat5e utp cables for that satisfying “i know these meet ethernet standards” feel. Looks? I keep them hidden. 🤪

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #1,961 of 2,214
And I use homemade and tested cat5e utp cables for that satisfying “i know these meet ethernet standards” feel. Looks? I keep them hidden. 🤪
Good for you, but this thread is called "The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only".
Do you have any to share?

I have three BJC ethernet cables, complete with certification showing that they meet CAT6a specifications. Construction quality is great, cost is appealing. However I own several other cables with no certification but better sound quality. One of my best is two-pair Audio Sensibility Signature, so it's 100Mbps only, not even CAT5e spec, but glorious sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #1,962 of 2,214
If you mean cut to a size and self-crimped cable, fine. But which brand and a type (infrastructure or patch), this is important.
:)

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #1,963 of 2,214
If you mean cut to a size and self-crimped cable, fine.
They are cut to size and self crimped. As far as sound is concerned I feel an ethernet cable made to spec and applied properly should not affect the sound. Shielding and grounding issues are the culprit in ethernet. In the analog domain, I agree cable construction can have an audible effect.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #1,964 of 2,214
In the wrong thread then.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #1,965 of 2,214
Leaving some impressions here for the Wireworld Chroma as i have reinserted it in my system: it's a good cable if you are not an audiophile:smile_phones: Its best aspect is its very nice picture, something i believe isn't discussed much in regards with ethernet cables. So, i think it is really best suited for TV usage. Its sound actually isn't bad, it's a warm filled-in bloomy sound in my system with less midbass and more sub-bass, somewhat blunted treble also. Fairly agreeable and relaxed, large sounding, but also a bit colored and not suitable for all kinds of music. Not annoying, not super-exciting either. The cheaper Supra actually has better layering, midbass and treble, not to mention the usual Supra speed but is also less resolution overall, murders sub-bass fiercely if you insert it anywhere in the chain and does not provide the great picture Chroma does. For the time being i am keeping the Chroma in the chain as a first cable, listen less to music and will try some Inakustik and Sotm stuff when time and funds permit.

-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back