The Fiio X5 Thread
May 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #9,076 of 19,652
  I wish I could say balanced, but no, unbalanced is also that good, honest. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Hi Musicheaven,
Can you please explain to this relative novice to technical matters, what is this balanced vs. unbalanced? Does this refer to the cable being split between left and right channels from the phones/iems? If not then has it to do with the inner circuitry of the devices?

May 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #9,077 of 19,652

Speaking of putting a DAP in the pocket, I'm very leary of that b/c for me it tends to cause the audio socket when connected to phones/iems to become unstable and cause loss of left or right sound. This occurs from the jostling around of the jack in the socket due to ordinary body movement, not necessarily from running or exercising. Perhaps the sockets are not built well enough to prevent this. I know that the present Sansa DAPs are not built very well, so I'm hoping someone here can offer feedback on the socket build quality of the X5.
This has happened twice  for me with my Sansa clip+ and Fuze. I'd much prefer a holster to hold the DAP and that's what I'm going to do when I receive my X5 next month.

I bought the Rocketfish Mobile Leather Hip Case for larger sized phones (model: RF-UL2BL) from Best Buy for $10 on clearance.
It holds 5" phones so it is plenty big for the player, & fits with my IEMs connected.

I can only barely control volume when it is in the case, but it holds the player well.

May 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #9,079 of 19,652

I bought the Rocketfish Mobile Leather Hip Case for larger sized phones (model: RF-UL2BL) from Best Buy for $10 on clearance.
It holds 5" phones so it is plenty big for the player, & fits with my IEMs connected.

I can only barely control volume when it is in the case, but it holds the player well.

I'll look into it and thanks!

May 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #9,080 of 19,652
Hi Musicheaven,
Can you please explain to this relative novice to technical matters, what is this balanced vs. unbalanced? Does this refer to the cable being split between left and right channels from the phones/iems? If not then has it to do with the inner circuitry of the devices?

Please read this. :wink:

http://audioexplorer.blogspot.com/2009/04/single-ended-vs-balanced.html?m=1

May 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #9,081 of 19,652
Please read this.
wink.gif

http://audioexplorer.blogspot.com/2009/04/single-ended-vs-balanced.html?m=1

Understand that in hifi with dedicated cables and output and input sockets. How does it work in portables land? Without separate Amp or DACs are there any connections on DACS or IEMs? Or are we only talking when Amp/Dac ing?

May 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #9,082 of 19,652
SIGH I am gonna use my iphone as a DAP for now. I can't deal with the crashing on X5, I almost threw it against the wall the other day from anger. Just KILLS what's supposed to be a relaxing experience for me. I'll wait 2-3 weeks and keep an eye on FW updates before I decide if I'm gonna keep it =/

May 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #9,083 of 19,652
  SIGH I am gonna use my iphone as a DAP for now. I can't deal with the crashing on X5, I almost threw it against the wall the other day from anger. Just KILLS what's supposed to be a relaxing experience for me. I'll wait 2-3 weeks and keep an eye on FW updates before I decide if I'm gonna keep it =/

thats funny because thats how i feel about my DX50!

May 11, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #9,085 of 19,652
Understand that in hifi with dedicated cables and output and input sockets. How does it work in portables land? Without separate Amp or DACs are there any connections on DACS or IEMs? Or are we only talking when Amp/Dac ing?

The Intruder has been designed to take balanced input from sources that provide a balanced output all the way through the balanced outputs, it's designed using balanced amp configuration (same principle than the desktop type balanced design). It's also capable of taking SE input and output the signal in balanced mode. Of course, you'll have to wire your iems for balanced cabling.

May 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #9,086 of 19,652

It would royally piss me off also. Seems a crap-shoot at the moment with Fiio and IBasso. Settling for my IPod Classic for the foreseeable future. Using the 30-pin out gives great sound. (I'd forgotten how good the damn thing sounds and is not a PIA to deal with.)

May 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #9,087 of 19,652
It would royally piss me off also. Seems a crap-shoot at the moment with Fiio and IBasso. Settling for my IPod Classic for the foreseeable future. Using the 30-pin out gives great sound. (I'd forgotten how good the damn thing sounds and is not a PIA to deal with.)

Thats what im doing now, My trusty iPod with 10,000 Alac songs will keep me satisfied tell i get my DX50 fixed.

May 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #9,088 of 19,652
Sitting on a fence right now. I'm using the X5 alone, but I'm considering the HS6+E12 combo. Has anyone used a V-Moda M-100 or SRH1540 with the combo? Does SQ improve enough to warrant getting it?

May 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #9,089 of 19,652
Sitting on a fence right now. I'm using the X5 alone, but I'm considering the HS6+E12 combo. Has anyone used a V-Moda M-100 or SRH1540 with the combo? Does SQ improve enough to warrant getting it?

HS6 seems to add a hair more clarity and the e12 adds a bit of soundstage and instrument separation for me.

Edit: I meant to include that is with the m-100 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back