The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #13,637 of 19,652
Had the same problem, though I didn't format with fiio X5 but with guiformat on pc.
one card was utterly destroyed somehow. Sent them back. Sandisk..

Quote:
  Olddude,

I have figured out how to get the Mac hidden files to be removed, so that is all good. I haven't tried BlueHarvest, but may try it the next time.

I have tried transferring the files in the X5 and also from a card reader, but once the problems began, nothing seems to work after that, including both Mac and Windows machines,  Basically, the card is destroyed. Nothing that I have tried can repair it.

I suspect the X5 still has problems with 128GB cards.

I don't have any other micro cards here to try.

---Michael

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #13,639 of 19,652
  is a 128 gb true sandisk card 200$ where you live?... this is the best price i can get in my country.. any sign of browsing mode being able to jump from the last file in folder a to first file in folder b?

They're working on the folder feature.  James mentioned it.  Hopefully see something in one of the future fw releases.

And yes - in NZ, a 128 Gb card (genuine Sandisk Ultra) goes for around $170-$220 NZD (or $135 - 175 USD equivalent)

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #13,641 of 19,652
I know you can use the X5 as a USB DAC for your computer. How much of a delay is there though? I'd like to use this for gaming as well. Thank you.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #13,642 of 19,652
Using 64gb Samsung evo, no problems so far. Quick question, can the X5 properly power a Hifiman HE-500?

Currently, I'm listening with AKG Q701 on around volume 80 on high gain.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #13,643 of 19,652
I bought three Sandisk 128 GB cards from Amazon, not Amazon re-sellers. I use them in my X5 and X3 and I have zero troubles with them. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #13,646 of 19,652
Thanks for the posts on the 128GB cards.  These are real cards for sure.  Not counterfeit.

I'll work on this some more and report back.

One thing I discovered is that the card reader I have may not be XC compatible, so I went out and got a new one.  May not help, but it may.  It shouldn't have any difference on the card when used through the X5 as the reader, though.

Beyond that, I may have simply gotten a bum card 2x from SanDisk.

Anyone want to explain why the X5 can't use exFAT when that is the format intended for these larger cards? It seems like there is a real missing connection here.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the X5 other than the hidden file problem, and this card issue... I run a HifiMan HE-400i and a Schiit Lyr 2 with the X5, and everything is lovely.

Someone needs to make a DAP like this that we can plug a remote HD into for much larger storage... That would be really a nice feature for the times when you are sitting at a desk and don't need to be absolutely portable.

---Michael

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #13,647 of 19,652
Was Going to use x5 as a dac for my ipad streaming spotify until I found out that it doesn't work with iPad. Started using x5 anyway to listen to my collection from my PC.

Been reading a lot about the Herus dac as it is one of the only ones that will actually work with the iPad. Plus it is very portable.

Has anyone tried out the herus dac and compared it to using the X5 as a dac off a pc? What is the quality of the X5 dac compared to the Herus? I am considering the Herus but for $400 this is a lot of money. If the x5 is close in quality (dac only) I may not need to buy the herus.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #13,648 of 19,652
Ah okay.

Sorry I know this is getting off topic...

I've been through a lot of headphones... Klipsch X10.. UM pro 10, Shure 215 and now Etymotic ER4s. I actually have to turn down the high frequencies on all of these. The klipsch signature was my favourite. I like the Etymotic but the cabling and actual build of the product sucks (microphonics and they stick out of your eyes, not good for on the move). 

If anyone has any recomendations for a pair of earphones let me know! I like a details thick sound and some bass, don't need big bass but something to just give it depth and thickness. I listen to a lot of rock and there is nothing worse than thin and flat.

Slow reply....
Been away from this thread for awhile and now just catching up again.

Ay advice ... Look up something called the K10 from Noble Audio. Easy to drive directly from the X5 (also from any other portable source I've tried), much more portable than full sized cans aaaaand most importantly ... eargasm! :etysmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back