The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Apr 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #871 of 902
I think I need to listen to this sometime. Maybe after taxes are done. Sounds like a great amp.

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #872 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really have not heard the amp properly & have never experienced what it was designed to accomplish... The 650 needs the balanced termination to really shine also.
Please get your self the proper cable for your phones to enjoy the Protector properly.
Ray Samuels

Mr. Ray Samuels,

You are absolutely right! Soon after I received my amp, I sent out my HD650's Stefan Audio Arts cable to be shortened/reterminated-with XLR connectors, and had built a Protector plug-to-XLR adaptor using a piece of the Stefan AudioArts cable. Both items arrived yesterday (total cost = $60
bigsmile_face.gif
- I can't say enough about the person who did the retermination / custom adaptor build, but that's another story.) I brought the pieces into work with me today, did only about an hour of burn-in at work this morning, and had to give a listen. Some rock, classical, and Alison Krauss were put into play.

It is a truthful comment that my HD650s have never sounded better. Never. More air around and improved positioning of voices / instruments, improved midrange, gobs of detail, etc. I know it is only a limited amount of time running the amp balanced v. tons of single-ended burn-in. I know that I want to do some burn-in of the reterminated Stefan AudioArts cable and adaptor as well. However, I cannot help but like what I heard over a few hours of work. I'll do more 24/7 burn-in over the weekend, do some listening using even better sources, and report back. Mr. Samuels, thank you for this wonderful product.
beerchug.gif

Hmm, now to see if my rewiring wizard is up to redoing my AKG701s.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #873 of 902
I am like you. I just received my TWag Protector balance to ordinary balance and have it breaking in but I was amazed at how easily it drives my balance HD600. At the high gain, 10 o'clock is more than adequate for these cans.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #876 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered my HD800/Protector from Moon-Audio, I hope it is as good as every said about this little on hull size phone.

My HD800 will work with the Protector at Mid or High gain up to about 2 O'clock position and then it will start to crack or bridged a little bit on vocal music. But before that it sounds very good.

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #877 of 902
Ray, I am burning in my Protector to over 400 hours now and it seems the sound is getting a little smoother, rounder, punchier, and crispier. Although you recommended 200 hours, I just want to make sure that it is way beyond the minimum. I think I'll stop at 500 hours. So far so good.

I do have one question that I would like to ask your opinion. My pattern of burning in is that I will leave the Protector connected to the charger during the day and run on battery during the nite. At least two times in the last three weeks I found the Protector is dead or ran out of battery in the morning after about 14-15 hours of burning in the nite after being charged all day. Is this normal? My setting is at low gain and volume pot is set at 1-2 o'clock position with JH13 Twag connected to balance mode. I am using an ipod as source. Thanks for a great product just wish there is a DAC in it :wink:

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #879 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD800 will work with the Protector at Mid or High gain up to about 2 O'clock position and then it will start to crack or bridged a little bit on vocal music. But before that it sounds very good.

Thanks, it wil be fine for me. I never get it pass 12 o'clock with high gain on my balanced HD600.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #880 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1-2 o'clock on jh13? I can barely pass 10 o'clock before my ear rings.

This is only for burning. In actual listening, I am more about 11:00 to 12:00 on lo gain.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #881 of 902
That's where I usally operate as well. This naturally depends also on the level of sound feeding the amp. All my music on the iPod is album level adjusted to 89 dB with aacgain.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #882 of 902
Mine is set to mid gain with volume sitting between 9:30 and 10 position. I'm using Sennheiser HD650 in balanced configuration. Anything beyond 10 o'clock position is way too loud and I can only listen at 10 position for half an hour before my ears start to hurt. Perhaps 9:30 position is the best for movie soundtrack listening, but it's a bit loud for pop music.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #884 of 902
pulled the trigger, now all i need is some headphones ...

n900 > twag mini<>mini > protector (ordered) > twag jh16pro cable > jh16 (got the impressions and everything, just need to buy them).

the last most expensive peice, i want to burn it all in together its gonna be a LOOONG month.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #885 of 902
I have been using the ESW10 JPN in balanced quite a bit lately. I have to admit that they sound much better in balanced that in single ended and I enjoy them in SE. In balanced they throw a better soundstage and there is more separation on instruments and voices. There is also a much better sensation of "hall" or the recorded venue. There is a natural space that promotes a better mental image of what is going on. The phones also just sound faster so there is a better tonal presentation. Bass as with the other monitors is excellent. For a real treat listen to "The Long Black Veil", by the Chieftains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back