The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,431 of 6,345
R2R and FGPA DACs are where I would focus. Delta-sigma I would avoid. NOS seems to have an even more relaxed and natural sound to it.

Others I would look at are the Holo Audio Kitsune Tuned Edition.

I will second that! I am impressed with the non-oversampling Holo Spring DAC. (however it does need a Singxer SU-1 "digital bridge" to get the most out of it) I have one connected to my GS-X mk2
I've also had the opportunity to spend some time the new FPGA based Chord Hugo2 and was thoroughly impressed for its performance relative to price point.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #5,432 of 6,345
What is wrong with the Sabre chipset? I have heard good things in regards to Mytek and Benchmark but I do know they use sabre chipset.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #5,433 of 6,345
What is wrong with the Sabre chipset? I have heard good things in regards to Mytek and Benchmark but I do know they use sabre chipset.

There are exceptions but generally the sabre 9018 chipset has a reputation for getting steely / glassy / rough in the treble. I used to own an Auralic Vega and sold it for this reason. The more recent sabre chipsets - like the 9028PRO - might be a game changer here. I have an iBasso DX200 and the treble is quite smooth and natural sounding on this 9028PRO device.

YMMV, but I would be extremely cautious about mating a sabre-chip DAC to a GS-X Mk2.

If you get the chance to hear a sabre DAC side by side with an R2R NOS DAC you will notice the difference. Kinda hard to describe the sound - you should try to hear it for yourself. Smooth, relaxed, natural sounding but also retaining dynamics and punch - that's a difficult trick to pull off. Downside is that R2R NOS DACs tend to be expensive.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #5,434 of 6,345
I will second that! I am impressed with the non-oversampling Holo Spring DAC. (however it does need a Singxer SU-1 "digital bridge" to get the most out of it) I have one connected to my GS-X mk2
I've also had the opportunity to spend some time the new FPGA based Chord Hugo2 and was thoroughly impressed for its performance relative to price point.

Wow, this thread is all of a sudden getting into an R2R DAC hotspot :). I too, feed the GSX Mk2 via an R2R DAC, the Aqua La Voce S2. Sounds fabulous together! As it is often stated in this forum, the GSX Mk2 is a very revealing amp as I do hear differences between the various file formats I am listening to. It occurred to me that particularly AIFF files tend to be glaringly bright. I don't know if it is a feature of my Aurender N100H streamer, or DAC, that has a problem with AIFF files. The best sounding file format so far, although I have only a few, is the wav format that tends to be reproduced just about right. FLAC files sound a bit veiled in the highs. But, my GSX Mk2 reveals the difference with ease!

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #5,436 of 6,345
Wow, this thread is all of a sudden getting into an R2R DAC hotspot...

With good reason, I think. An uber-transparent amp like the GS-X Mk2 is going to "sound" like the DAC that feeds it. If that DAC has a treble issue, as many delta-sigma DACs do (IMHO), then the pairing might get into unpleasant / fatiguing territory pronto.

I wonder what Tyll would have made of the GS-X Mk2 paired to a Holo Springs Kitsune DAC ... etc rather than (presumably) the Vega DAC he did use? I would guess that the treble disclaimer that features prominently in the review would have been a non-starter.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #5,437 of 6,345
With good reason, I think. An uber-transparent amp like the GS-X Mk2 is going to "sound" like the DAC that feeds it. If that DAC has a treble issue, as many delta-sigma DACs do (IMHO), then the pairing might get into unpleasant / fatiguing territory pronto.

I wonder what Tyll would have made of the GS-X Mk2 paired to a Holo Springs Kitsune DAC ... etc rather than (presumably) the Vega DAC he did use? I would guess that the treble disclaimer that features prominently in the review would have been a non-starter.

Yeah, somehow it just wasn't the time for R2R DACS! I wonder how many potential GS-X Mk2 buyers he scared away with his review. It occurred to me that Tyll tends to easily criticise 'treble' issues. Maybe he just has exceptionally sensitive ears for the treble range. I wished I had this :))

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #5,438 of 6,345
Yeah, somehow it just wasn't the time for R2R DACS! I wonder how many potential GS-X Mk2 buyers he scared away with his review. It occurred to me that Tyll tends to easily criticise 'treble' issues. Maybe he just has exceptionally sensitive ears for the treble range. I wished I had this :))

The DAC used wasn't listed in his review (that I could find anyway). In the past Tyll has used the Vega as his 'reference' DAC, so I am making an assumption there.

I agree that it was a disservice to the GS-X Mk2 in that a more relaxed DAC wasn't used. The Vega does a lot of things well, but treble smoothness isn't one of them.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #5,439 of 6,345
Just a suggestion - I would avoid anything delta-sigma based, especially sabre chipset DACs. I know there are exceptions to this, but my experience with several delta-sigma DACs has always been issues in the treble. A hyper-transparent amp like a GS-X Mk2 is only going to make that treble issue worse.

The first DAC I found that sounded "right" to me is the Metrum Pavane (with level 2 upgrade). It's an R2R NOS DAC.

R2R and FGPA DACs are where I would focus. Delta-sigma I would avoid. NOS seems to have an even more relaxed and natural sound to it.

Others I would look at are the Holo Audio Kitsune Tuned Edition. Maybe the Audio GD NOS 7.

I would avoid the Yggy for pairing to the GS-X Mk2. I found this DAC a touch on the bright and forward side. Others will surely disagree me on that one.

That's a bit too much of a generalization in my opinion. The older 9018 Sabre chipsets did suffer from this treble issue caused by the overs not being properly taken care of by the rest of the circuitry. Not so much Sabre's problem, but rather the DAC designer's issue. There were some very well implemented 9018 chipsets. Thankfully the newer 9028/9038 generations take care of this within the DAC chip itself and has made the DAC designer's job easier in this regard.

You've made some excellent recommendations on DACs and I pretty much agree with all of them. :) That's the thing with such a revealing amplifier as the GS-X Mk2, it will let you hear your DAC like no other amplifier I've come across. I would recommend a DAC with balanced outputs as the GS-X Mk2 is a fully balanced amplifier and requires both balanced inputs and outputs to run balanced and allow you to access all of the power of the amplifier. I might add the Benchmark DAC3 HGC and Chord Hugo TT into the mix as it was also quite excellent. I'm currently using the Chord DAVE and when I need some extra juice for say the LCD-4 or Abyss-Phi headphones, the GS-X MK2/DAVE combo is quite spectacular!

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #5,440 of 6,345
That's a bit too much of a generalization in my opinion. The older 9018 Sabre chipsets did suffer from this treble issue caused by the overs not being properly taken care of by the rest of the circuitry. Not so much Sabre's problem, but rather the DAC designer's issue. There were some very well implemented 9018 chipsets. Thankfully the newer 9028/9038 generations take care of this within the DAC chip itself and has made the DAC designer's job easier in this regard.

You've made some excellent recommendations on DACs and I pretty much agree with all of them. :) That's the thing with such a revealing amplifier as the GS-X Mk2, it will let you hear your DAC like no other amplifier I've come across. I would recommend a DAC with balanced outputs as the GS-X Mk2 is a fully balanced amplifier and requires both balanced inputs and outputs to run balanced and allow you to access all of the power of the amplifier. I might add the Benchmark DAC3 HGC and Chord Hugo TT into the mix as it was also quite excellent. I'm currently using the Chord DAVE and when I need some extra juice for say the LCD-4 or Abyss-Phi headphones, the GS-X MK2/DAVE combo is quite spectacular!

I did mention the sabre 9028PRO implementation in the iBasso DX200. That is very well done and sounds excellent. Quite different to the 9018 treble in the Vega.

Chord Dave gets rave reviews almost universally, but the price is eye-watering. Makes my Pavane look inexpensive.

Have completed payment for my GS-X Mk2. Really looking forward to hearing this paired with the Pavane. I'm thinking it is going to be sublime.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #5,441 of 6,345

So you have had success with the benchmark dac3 and the gs-x mk2 running together? If you did try this combo how did it sound with the LCD-4s? I ask because I am thinking about making this the set up for my LCD-3s.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #5,442 of 6,345
So you have had success with the benchmark dac3 and the gs-x mk2 running together?
I ask because I am thinking about making this the set up for my LCD-3s.
I have had this exact setup at one point in time. When the new Benchmark DAC3 was first released I took them up on their 30-day trial period. It was a VERY good DAC and even had a pretty good amplifier section too (DAC3 HGC model). However, I felt the DAC3 HGC amplifier section was bested by the performance of the Headamp GS-X mk2/ (Yes, I was using Audeze LCD-3 phones)
As good as the DAC3 was sonically, I found its user interface somewhat quirky. You can read my full review here
I found that I preferred the sound of the non-oversampling Holo Spring to the DAC3. I can't say that the DAC3 did anything poorly, I found that I had a clear personal preference for the NOS / R2R sound. (My review of the spring here)

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #5,443 of 6,345
That's the thing with such a revealing amplifier as the GS-X Mk2, it will let you hear your DAC like no other amplifier I've come across. I would recommend a DAC with balanced outputs as the GS-X Mk2 is a fully balanced amplifier and requires both balanced inputs and outputs to run balanced and allow you to access all of the power of the amplifier.
^^^ this ^^^^
I agree with Peter on this. If you're going to use a balanced amp like GS-X, pair it with a balanced source.

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #5,444 of 6,345
I have had this exact setup at one point in time. When the new Benchmark DAC3 was first released I took them up on their 30-day trial period. It was a VERY good DAC and even had a pretty good amplifier section too (DAC3 HGC model). However, I felt the DAC3 HGC amplifier section was bested by the performance of the Headamp GS-X mk2/ (Yes, I was using Audeze LCD-3 phones)
As good as the DAC3 was sonically, I found its user interface somewhat quirky. You can read my full review here
I found that I preferred the sound of the non-oversampling Holo Spring to the DAC3. I can't say that the DAC3 did anything poorly, I found that I had a clear personal preference for the NOS / R2R sound. (My review of the spring here)

The Benchmark DAC2 was often criticised to be very bright. Have they gotten around this with the DAC3?

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #5,445 of 6,345
The Benchmark DAC2 was often criticised to be very bright. Have they gotten around this with the DAC3?
It's been a while since writing that review - December 2016. I don't recall ever characterizing its as "bright". Again, going from memory - I would perhaps characterize the DAC3 / GS-X combo as somewhat analytical. I think that's why I found the NOS Holo Spring to be a preferential pairing with the GS-X.

I believe Benchmark still offers a 30-day trial of their DAC. If you're really curious - try one for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back