The Hifiman RE2000 - a high end dynamic IEM
Nov 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #421 of 627
It all depends on your sound preference. While for me it sounds better - that's my personal taste, while I know that treble heads and high-res junkies will prefer it the other way :wink:

Got it! While I would not call myself a treble head I do like a lot of detail, if presented in a natural way. Kind of like a good ribbon or plasma tweeter done right.

May still give the re2000 a try though. At this price it's hard to go wrong.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #423 of 627
The bass being attenuated down would probably be a deal breaker for me, not sure. I would definitely have to hear the silver version! I love the bass quantity on the Gold version.
Same here, the bass being attenuated down is not what I wanted read about. I'm not bass head by any means but I do love good, authoritive bass. I also like my treble clear with good extension. With that said it sounds like I might prefer the gold to the silver version. Even though the price of the silver version makes it more of a bargain even with the slight trade offs.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #424 of 627
Same here, the bass being attenuated down is not what I wanted read about. I'm not bass head by any means but I do love good, authoritive bass. I also like my treble clear with good extension. With that said it sounds like I might prefer the gold to the silver version. Even though the price of the silver version makes it more of a bargain even with the slight trade offs.

The quality of the bass didn't change, just a little attenuation in quantity which gives low end more control (especially when transitioning into lower mids) and more breathing room for mids with an improved focus on vocals.

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #426 of 627
Hey all - I wrote a review of these for the publication I work for. I'm not clear on whether I'm allowed to post outside reviews from reading the forum rules but I thought I'd share. Feel free to let me know if it's not allowed, mods.

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018...eview-world-class-sound-in-a-pair-of-earbuds/

Keep in mind we're a consumer tech publication with a broad tech publication rather than one dedicated to just audio. I use some more superlatives than I'd use around these parts, since part of my aim is to explain why people would pay so much for fancy IEMs rather than to just compare the RE2000 to the competition. That said, I really do love these IEMs. I hope I managed to strike a decent balance between being consumer friendly and providing some enthusiast knowledge.

I know I don't hit all the usual head-fi points. I plan to post one that's a bit more technical on head-fi once I have the time as well. But some more details for those curious:

Primary Sources: ifi iDSD Micro BL, Radsone ES1000
Preferred tips: Symbio W. Of the included tips, the stock small double flange sounded best, but the triple flanges weren't too behind. The double flanges are a bit too small though.
I listened single ended with the iDSD, balanced on the ES100. Can't say I noticed much of a difference.
Isolation: Is a tad bit above average with the Symbio, triple flanges, and complys. Less than average for an iem with any standard silicone only tips.
Cable: Don't really like the stock cable. It's fine, but not really for the price. I don't care about the design or sound specs of it, but not super confident in the strain reliefs and i don't like that it has a bit of memory to it/is kind of bouncy.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #427 of 627
I like the Symbio W tips best also for both versions. I also like both versions, but agree that the RE2000 Silver has better control in the lows.

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #428 of 627
I like the Symbio W tips best also for both versions. I also like both versions, but agree that the RE2000 Silver has better control in the lows.

Micah, do you hear a noticeable boost in bass in RE800 Silver over Gold? I just want to be sure it's not just my pair :wink:

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #429 of 627
Has anyone had a chance to compare the RE2000 (Silver or Gold although I would be purchasing Silver) with the AKG N5005?

I am coming from ie800 and k3003i. I really like sub bass and bass but hate giving up the mids and treble. I think what I am looking for is almost a reference tuned iem with more bass.

I quite enjoy the bass with the bass boost filters on the k3003i but the mid and highs leave me wanting more. I always liked the bass on ie800 but found it could muddle the midrange.

Currently using the N5005 with the bass boost and a Hifiman 901s with the Minibox amp (SE). Sounds really good but on some tracks I am wishing for a bit more in the bass department.

I never considered the RE2000 but with the current special I thought it worth a look. I also tried balanced with the n5005 and the 901s but didn't care for the sound as much. The Minibox amp I find is much smoother. The other iem under consideration is the ie800s.

Thoughts suggestions and advice always appreciated.

Ken.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #430 of 627
Has anyone had a chance to compare the RE2000 (Silver or Gold although I would be purchasing Silver) with the AKG N5005?

I am coming from ie800 and k3003i. I really like sub bass and bass but hate giving up the mids and treble. I think what I am looking for is almost a reference tuned iem with more bass.

I quite enjoy the bass with the bass boost filters on the k3003i but the mid and highs leave me wanting more. I always liked the bass on ie800 but found it could muddle the midrange.

Currently using the N5005 with the bass boost and a Hifiman 901s with the Minibox amp (SE). Sounds really good but on some tracks I am wishing for a bit more in the bass department.

I never considered the RE2000 but with the current special I thought it worth a look. I also tried balanced with the n5005 and the 901s but didn't care for the sound as much. The Minibox amp I find is much smoother. The other iem under consideration is the ie800s.

Thoughts suggestions and advice always appreciated.

Ken.

I have RE2000 , Re2000 Silver and Ie800 in my hands, what would you like to know? :)

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #431 of 627
Excellent!

First off....which do you prefer and for what types of music?

I found that with the ie800 the bass would bleed into the mids and combined with the “V” shaped sound signature muddled the mids lessening the detail.

Does the RE2000 Silver do the same?

The bass intro to Eagles’ Hotel California on the Hell Freezes Over Album has some great bass and sub bass. If you are able to listen to that track I would love to know which is more impactfull.

Are the RE2000 at all sibilant particularily with female vocals?

Finally...if they were the same price...$800, is one clearly better than the other.

Thanks,

Ken

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #432 of 627
OK, RE2000 / RE800 Silver vs Gold review is up here. Shorter than my usual write up; just tried to focus more on comparison between silver and gold versions, comparison of RE2k silver to other iems, and pair ups of both with different sources.

hifiman_silver_re2k_re800-35.jpg

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #434 of 627
OK, RE2000 / RE800 Silver vs Gold review is up here. Shorter than my usual write up; just tried to focus more on comparison between silver and gold versions, comparison of RE2k silver to other iems, and pair ups of both with different sources.

In your RE2000 Gold review you mentioned that RE has more soundstage width than Andro, but in this review you said RE Silver has less soundstage width than Andro, does that means the silver version has a noticeably narrower soundstage than the gold version?

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #435 of 627
In your RE2000 Gold review you mentioned that RE has more soundstage width than Andro, but in this review you said RE Silver has less soundstage width than Andro, does that means the silver version has a noticeably narrower soundstage than the gold version?

This is a very good point. I actually had a talk with one of the manufacturers recently, discussing universal vs custom iems and my earcanal. I tested both versions of the same iem and noticed a difference in soundstage. This could be related to individual earcanal anatomy, but apparently in my case the depth of nozzle insertion changes the soundstage width perception.

So, let me go back and retest re2k gold and silver using the same set of eartips (to ensure the same insertion depth) against Andro. Another variable, my Andro broke and last month I received a brand new replacement pair. And in this review I was using a fresh one out of the box. Not saying it's different, but just pointing out it's not the same pair I used in my previous review last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back