The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #168 of 1,170
Tonight’s entertainment.
Ibasso DC03 pro into Vali 2++ with RCA 5 star.😀

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #171 of 1,170
Good morning, I have to buy my first DAC dongle to use with my android smartphone. I'm undecided between ibasso dc04pro and dc06pro. Guys which of the two is better? I couldn't understand it.
DC06 Pro is new, very few people have heard it. I’ve got one coming later today and will post impressions. Going off of Andy’s audio vault videos on YouTube, it looks like the DC04 Pro has a more laid back, relaxed sound and the DC06 Pro is more energetic. Andy says they feel like sidegrades, that is to say of comparable quality with different tunings, but I do wonder if the DC06 Pro has better or more refined technicalities as it’s using a quad DAC configuration.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #172 of 1,170
I did just receive the DC06 Pro and off the bat I agree that it sounds like a supercharged DC03 Pro. It has the same sonic hallmarks: Highly detailed, texture is upfront, propulsive energy, a very fast linear type sound. Like the DC03 Pro, the DC06 Pro does not smooth over harsh production. Listening to Heart's 1985 self titled album, full of great songs with some of the harshest 80s production I can think of, the tizziness from the cymbals and sibilants in voices are evident and not hidden, muted, or smoothed out in any way. When the production is smoother, the DC06 Pro presents it smoothly. This is why I disagree with Andy's description of the DC03 Pro and DC06 Pro as colored. I think both are extremely neutral in that they present the recording without significant changes. The 03 Pro and 06 Pro are undeniably more forward but that is not the same thing as coloration.

Compared to the 03 Pro, the 06 Pro has a clear tighter control over the drivers (in BAL out, I'm not bothering with the SE on this one since all my headphones are balanced capable), and better layering, with more nuance in the presentation of instruments. I am hearing more detail, and also can discern more of the mix in terms of instruments that are mixed higher or lower. Listening to Art Blakely Live in Tunisia, I get a sense of space around the instruments. The soundstage feels close to the head though, not massively expansive, and is wider than it is tall.

I've got a DC04 Pro coming for a direct comparison, but that's shipping from China and with the holidays probably won't have it until January. Without that comparison, I can say the DC06 Pro is everything I like about the DC03 Pro, only more so.

Listening done with IE600s with IE Pro tips and ETA O2, source is an iPhone 15 Pro Max and a Macbook Pro.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #173 of 1,170
I did just receive the DC06 Pro and off the bat I agree that it sounds like a supercharged DC03 Pro. It has the same sonic hallmarks: Highly detailed, texture is upfront, propulsive energy, a very fast linear type sound. Like the DC03 Pro, the DC06 Pro does not smooth over harsh production. Listening to Heart's 1985 self titled album, full of great songs with some of the harshest 80s production I can think of, the tizziness from the cymbals and sibilants in voices are evident and not hidden, muted, or smoothed out in any way. When the production is smoother, the DC06 Pro presents it smoothly. This is why I disagree with Andy's description of the DC03 Pro and DC06 Pro as colored. I think both are extremely neutral in that they present the recording without significant changes. The 03 Pro and 06 Pro are undeniably more forward but that is not the same thing as coloration.

Compared to the 03 Pro, the 06 Pro has a clear tighter control over the drivers (in BAL out, I'm not bothering with the SE on this one since all my headphones are balanced capable), and better layering, with more nuance in the presentation of instruments. I am hearing more detail, and also can discern more of the mix in terms of instruments that are mixed higher or lower. Listening to Art Blakely Live in Tunisia, I get a sense of space around the instruments. The soundstage feels close to the head though, not massively expansive, and is wider than it is tall.

I've got a DC04 Pro coming for a direct comparison, but that's shipping from China and with the holidays probably won't have it until January. Without that comparison, I can say the DC06 Pro is everything I like about the DC03 Pro, only more so.

Listening done with IE600s with IE Pro tips and ETA O2, source is an iPhone 15 Pro Max and a Macbook pro.
A thousand thanks! I will wait until you also have the DC04 PRO to hear your opinions between the DC04 PRO and DC06 PRO.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #175 of 1,170
DC06 Pro is new, very few people have heard it. I’ve got one coming later today and will post impressions. Going off of Andy’s audio vault videos on YouTube, it looks like the DC04 Pro has a more laid back, relaxed sound and the DC06 Pro is more energetic. Andy says they feel like sidegrades, that is to say of comparable quality with different tunings, but I do wonder if the DC06 Pro has better or more refined technicalities as it’s using a quad DAC configuration.

Is this suppose to be a joke, saying in the review that DC Elite has a digital volume control with 100 volume steps?

DC Elite uses a similar analog step-attenuator as in DX320Max Ti with 24 volume steps. And because of the small jump steps between volume adjustment (you disengage the contact so there is no volume between the steps), DC Elite also has a separate volume micro-adjustment button on the side with 1dB increments to fine tune the volume.

1702659664726.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #176 of 1,170
Is this suppose to be a joke, saying in the review that DC Elite has a digital volume control with 100 volume steps?

DC Elite uses the same analog step-attenuator as in DX320Max Ti with 24 volume steps. And because of the small jump steps between volume adjustment (you disengage the contact so there is no volume between the steps), DC Elite also has a separate volume micro-adjustment button on the side with 1dB increments to fine tune the volume.

1702659664726.png
Which is such a strange decision, annoying to use too, but i still think this dongle is worth it, it’s not a dongle sound

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #177 of 1,170
Any True stepped attenuator will have a pause in the sound and then when it gets to the next step, you have sound. This is one of the most pure volume controls you can use and never before has one been made this small and especially with the super high quality resistors we have used. The thermal noise from the resistors we use is exceptionally low as is the matching, which super close for each pair. There are no corners cut or concerns for the expensive of parts. Even the case made of high grade Titanium is many times the cost of aluminum.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #178 of 1,170
Any True stepped attenuator will have a pause in the sound and then when it gets to the next step, you have sound. This is one of the most pure volume controls you can use and never before has one been made this small and especially with the super high quality resistors we have used. The thermal noise from the resistors we use is exceptionally low as is the matching, which super close for each pair. There are no corners cut or concerns for the expensive of parts. Even the case made of high grade Titanium is many times the cost of aluminum.

Been loving the dc elite with ier z1r. Its the dongle ive been waiting for but didnt realize it.

Im enjoying the step volume, allows me to enjoy music at lower volumes.

@Paul - iBasso - is there any effect to the dongle if its close to magnets? Im thinking of ways to attach it to my phone so its not dangling.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #179 of 1,170
The case is just too heavy, regardless of cost. The protective rail for the volume knob only serves to hinder the turning and should have been shorter / lower. The volume knob itself is a HUGE pain to use, regardless of its sonic benefit. These, I think, are all design oversight / anti-user features. I hope iBasso learns the lesson that ergonomics is also a very important factor in being "premium". It is a shame for otherwise an absolutely great-sounding dongle.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #180 of 1,170
Why would you pick titanium for a dongle when aluminum is much lighter and is strong enough to handle all reasonable use? Titanium adds cost and weight, both of which are negatives in a dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back