The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #19,247 of 22,550
Actually I meant that as a statement and not a comment

On very first comparison I actually hear more similarities than differences. Diana Phi is a touch warmer and slower, bass is not as big (as expected) and stage is a bit more intimate but the overall signature is quite similar. Diana's tonal balance might even be more correct? 🤔

Note I am using DMS pads which give more bass impact and more open sound than Diana stock pads.

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #19,248 of 22,550
Finally got my hands on the holo may KTE and Serene KTE and I'm extremely impressed so far listening with the 1266TC :metal:

Looking forward to your comparisons with mDAVE :beerchug:

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #19,249 of 22,550
awesome setup! what power amp are you using with the Serene? or are you going straight out of the xlr?
Arcam P49 (200 watts 8 ohms) for now and im also using the XLR1 rear's for headphones plus have my formula S connected to it as well. I'm done with DAC's for a while, gonna be going crazy on amps now :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #19,250 of 22,550
I've had my 1266 TC for over a week now. At first, I was underwhelmed to the say the least, but they are growing on me as I get used to the fit. Contrary to Abyss's recommendation, I much prefer the signature with the pads sealed without an air gap. The bass is still powerful but doesn't overwhelm the music to the same degree. The 1266 doesn't pair well with classical or metal music, which are my usual preferred genres, because of the recessed mids. EDM is another story and quite impressive. I wouldn't want the 1266 to be my only headphone, but when they fit the music, they are amazing.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #19,251 of 22,550
I've had my 1266 TC for over a week now. At first, I was underwhelmed to the say the least, but they are growing on me as I get used to the fit. Contrary to Abyss's recommendation, I much prefer the signature with the pads sealed without an air gap. The bass is still powerful but doesn't overwhelm the music to the same degree. The 1266 doesn't pair well with classical or metal music, which are my usual preferred genres, because of the recessed mids. EDM is another story and quite impressive. I wouldn't want the 1266 to be my only headphone, but when they fit the music, they are amazing.
I absolutely love the 1266tc with metal but that's me :metal: :L3000:

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #19,252 of 22,550
I absolutely love the 1266tc with metal but that's me :metal: :L3000:
They are the only metal headphone as far as I'm concerned.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #19,253 of 22,550
My protip that changed the way I judged the 1266 TC: try to bend the frame to have a shallow seal around your ear. The headphones were designed to "float" on your head similar to the Jecklins/AKG K1K. That is where the magic starts.

When I first got the Abyss I actually started listening without any seal like you, but realized through alterations that it's far superior unsealed.

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #19,254 of 22,550
Recently returned from a two week business trip to find my Abyss Phi with CC Pads, the already deteriorating pads actually fell apart on one side.

I still have the original Phi pads in perfect condition. I could have used those, but I remember the SQ improvement when I upgraded to the CC Perforated pads. So, I decided to wait for replacements, took only a few days.

Here's an eye opener for me. The new pads have a remarkable increase in energetic sound. I didn't notice over the last year, as the pads were coming apart slowly, with the foam expanding it was dampening the sound too much. I could make any adjustment and the sound would not change noticeably. Now, a slight change in tow is a distinct change in sound again.

The sound is again energetic and alive again. Yes, I did say again twice, lol. The slow deterioration of the pads tricked me. I didn't realize what I was missing.

Just a note from a 5 year Abyss Phi user. Any small, inconcieveable change in physical can have a profound change in SQ. With the new pads, and I bought the new headband also, I like 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock and just a Very slight almost not touching below my ear lobes for best sound and beastial bass. Really, the same as before, just more noticeable on the tow adjustment and such. I really like a very slight tow in. Gives the best sound stage to my very tired old ears. Above my ears is tight for grip. I'm wierd...

Attachments

• 20220126_054501.jpg
    20220126_054501.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #19,255 of 22,550
I think they are incredible with Metal. In fact they have made me listen to a lot more metal than I used to.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #19,257 of 22,550
My old headphone, the HD560s was quite bass light and hazy in the treble but had a good midrange. After a little over a year, it kinda shifted my tasted towards vocal based music. But with the TC I find myself listening to more rock and metal now. It's big, bold, and powerful. Treble is lively and the bass is as big as the soundstage while sounding a bit "roomy." The 560s wasn't really able to deliver on those fronts so that's why I never really knew what I was missing.

Also, I agree. Maybe it's my A90 amp but I am preferring these with a bit of a clamp with a small port near the bottom. The further apart these are from my head, the steeper the bass roll-off is. And I can't get them to "float atop my head" at all. Max width on the frame and multiple pad positions don't really do anything. Could be the o-rings or me not bending the frame out. But again, it rolls off hard for me.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #19,258 of 22,550
Sounds like there is a lot more to be gained by experimenting with the fit. Change the O rings, toe in, toe out, bend the frame, etc. Of course it is all personal, but I'd be really surprised if you end up not liking the TC for metal.

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #19,259 of 22,550

I don't even listen to Metal and the TC would be the first I'd recommend for it lol

Like someone else mentioned, bend the frame to what works for your head shape. My first impressions in this thread were not pretty lol. And then once I bent the frame it changed everything. But I would explore all of the different positions, as the optimal position really depends on the user. FYI, it's astronomically better for me with a complete seal compared to others, and I have a smallish head which I think is the culprit vs. other ppl. Moral of the story here is that the TC is extremely customizable and it takes a bit of effort to figure out what works for you. Good luck!

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #19,260 of 22,550
I think the TC is pretty much fantastic for everything but it particularly shines with rock and bass heavy music...I dont listen to rap or metal but I would imagine nothing could possibly be a better choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back