The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #20,116 of 22,555
I agree, I think the stock cable is outstanding....far better than most stock but I attribute that to the abyss team being cable people....the SC is better but dramatically I think you described it well
jblrach by any small chance did I sell you my 1st SC cable? I remember I sold you some stuff.

It is cool to be able to have both cables on hand to be swapped in and out dependent on mood or to give your headphones a refresher/break of some sort while going back to your "main" choice most of the time.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #20,117 of 22,555
nope, I bought the SC retail from my dealer

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #20,118 of 22,555
Midnight express choo choo!
IMG_20220428_010321.jpg

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #20,119 of 22,555
Imagine how underwhelming the sounds would be if it weren't shipped in that magical wooden box.
I think the wood box really opens up the sound stage.

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #20,120 of 22,555
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #20,121 of 22,555
You’re really lovin it huh? 😁
Dude...so much. I've now moved to 45 rolling. Trying to find a Perryman mesh > 300B stratosphere. Couldn't be having more fun.

Apr 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #20,122 of 22,555
Dude...so much. I've now moved to 45 rolling. Trying to find a Perryman mesh > 300B stratosphere. Couldn't be having more fun.
Dang, my Neo can’t use 45 😅 can you still find NOS Perryman mesh?

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #20,123 of 22,555
Dang, my Neo can’t use 45 😅 can you still find NOS Perryman mesh?
As with all NOS the prices are silly. Everything has its price.

the 45 is for the Valkyria -- need a little more linear performance. Can someone start a 300B lending program though. Anybody.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #20,124 of 22,555
As with all NOS the prices are silly. Everything has its price.

the 45 is for the Valkyria -- need a little more linear performance. Can someone start a 300B lending program though. Anybody.
Check in stereo forums, something like audio circle or audio shark.
The members there are very kind and considerate of everyone especially new.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #20,125 of 22,555
Just wanted to provide an update when using the new SC cable. I notice majority of the users with the SC cable prefer it over the stock and never go back to the stock.

I feel like I enjoy them both almost equally. I find myself bopping my head to the stock cable due to the huge slam it provides along with the clarity and precision of micro details, but I also find myself bopping my head to the SC cable due to the lusher/weightier mids. I feel like I almost (key word almost) have two different headphones, or at the very least have 2 flavors to choose from on a daily basis. Vanilla or vanilla with tid bits of small cookie crumbs, this is coming from someone who HATES changing stuff out and usually preferring things to be set in stone once dialed in to preferences.

Back when I had the SC cable and the stock cable, I never went back to the stock and just told myself do not bother. Props to Abyss once again for including a strong stock cable with the headphones. That's how it should be done.

I challenge some of you to revert back to the stock cable and be potentially pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #20,126 of 22,555
Just wanted to provide an update when using the new SC cable. I notice majority of the users with the SC cable prefer it over the stock and never go back to the stock. I think I may just be a weirdo and enjoy them both almost equally. I find myself bopping my head to the stock cable due to the huge slam it provides along with the clarity and precision of micro details, and I also find myself bopping my head to the SC cable due to the lusher/weightier mids.

I guess at the end of the day, I am just an Abyss fan boy. Back when I had the SC cable and the stock cable, I never went back to the stock and just told myself do not bother. Some things do change, props to Abyss once again for including a strong stock cable with the headphones.
If the stock had substantially better ergonomics, I’d use it more. The stock cable ergonomics are an abomination, and Abyss should be embarrassed by it. I’ve said it before, but I suspect they make the stock cable that way so that one is tempted to buy the SC. I can’t think of any logical reason why there isn’t a better sleeve on the stock cable.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #20,127 of 22,555
If the stock had substantially better ergonomics, I’d use it more. The stock cable ergonomics are an abomination, and Abyss should be embarrassed by it. I’ve said it before, but I suspect they make the stock cable that way so that one is tempted to buy the SC. I can’t think of any logical reason why there isn’t a better sleeve on the stock cable.
Sure, I do agree the stock ergonomics are bad.

From a pure sound perspective, do you prefer the SC or stock?

I feel like I would change them back and forth bi weekly to keep things fresh.

May 1, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #20,128 of 22,555
Material cost, labor cost. Most of the cost of the TC is in the labor. I think they said in a video it takes over two weeks to make a fresh one. But for the cost of the SC, you can get a PS Audio powerplant and see a more meaningful improvement to your chain.

May 1, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #20,129 of 22,555
Sure, I do agree the stock ergonomics are bad.

From a pure sound perspective, do you prefer the SC or stock?

I feel like I would change them back and forth bi weekly to keep things fresh.
SC. Though others have claimed liking rap better with the stock, which is a genre I listen to a lot.

I’ve tuned my chain around the TCs, and that includes using the SC cable.

May 1, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #20,130 of 22,555
SC. Though others have claimed liking rap better with the stock, which is a genre I listen to a lot.

I’ve tuned my chain around the TCs, and that includes using the SC cable.
I see you have both the Wa33 Elite and the 3 ES Elite ( for electrostatics). That is awesome! I have a question. Do you use one DAC to drive the WA33 and then connect the preamp out of the WA33 to drive the 3ES? I am still working my way toward the WA33, but was curious how to also connect a 3ES even further down the road. Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back