The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #21,481 of 22,511
I would love to see comments also. Finding a two-birds-with-one-stone solution for TC and sus (w/ one single upgrade cable)

JPS SC / DHC Prion4 / Lazuli Reference Plus ... any thoughts?

I did this comparison a few years back, kept the Superconductor and never regretted it :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jps-labs-abyss-ab-1266-impressions-thread.666765/post-14797813

Random note: I am listening to this as I type. A tremendous testament to the AB-1266 prowess in handling deep bass, 3D holographic detail presentation in a huge enveloping soundstage. Wonderful!

7640105942619-cover.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #21,483 of 22,511
May 24, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #21,484 of 22,511
I would love to see comments also. Finding a two-birds-with-one-stone solution for TC and sus (w/ one single upgrade cable)

JPS SC / DHC Prion4 / Lazuli Reference Plus ... any thoughts?
Try the Arctic Cables Aeris x2 which is higher spec than all of them.

May 24, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #21,486 of 22,511
For the best result of all make sure to leave them out in the sun for atleast 30min before you plug them in. This will supercharge the electrons like steroids. Night and day.
Actually, if you leave them under moonlight (full moon preferred) then you'll get a much blacker background and notes will emerge out of nowhere.

May 24, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #21,487 of 22,511
Try the Arctic Cables Aeris x2 which is higher spec than all of them.

sorry for my ignorance but I cannot find it on their website. Is it the custom one? I only find Aeris, but not Aeris "X2".

May 25, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #21,488 of 22,511
sorry for my ignorance but I cannot find it on their website. Is it the custom one? I only find Aeris, but not Aeris "X2".
It is a custom option.

May 26, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #21,489 of 22,511
May 26, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #21,490 of 22,511
May 27, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #21,491 of 22,511
I welcomed back the OG Abyss 1266 on Wed night. A very dear friend whom I had lent the Abyss before Covid overtook all of us was visiting Singapore. So, I decided to put the Abyss on for some listening.

It hapens that I have been trying out the SAEQ Hyperion Ge. SAEQ is Serbian Audio Equipment. Dragan Domanovic, who is the owner and main designer, was telling me that they like to think that they are in the business of happiness. :) I first came across SAEQ as the makers of the direct drive amps for the RAAL Requisite ribbon HPs. So, when Wilson from Jaben SG told me that he had brought in the entire range of the SAEQ amplifiers, beyond the ones for RAAL ribbon HPs, I happily took the Hyperion Ge for a spin.

There is actually a very nice write up about them: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/am...ws/saeq-hyperion-ge-and-raal-requisite-ca-1a/

The Ge was designed to be lush and yet highly resolving and transparent. Interesting combination. This is because of the Germanium transistors used.

The Hyperion Ge has been effortlessly driving difficult to drive cans like the HE-6 and Susvara. So, I thought I’d take the Abyss for a spin on the Hyperion Ge. On direct drive, on hight gain at 5/24. I am really enjoying it: beautiful organic sound signature with a sheen of opulence. And the details are impressive. Whilst never coming across as digital or clinical. Very potent and intoxicating combination. Remember how everyone used to complain about the OG Abyss having recessed mids? Well, no such issues on the Ge. While retaining the incredible soundstage and visceral bass.

The Ge is designed to drive speakers as well, as you can see from the front panel. It is no wonder that it is as powerful as it is. But yet so refined.

I shall be trying out the rest of the SAEQ amp series, like the PDA-1b and the Morpheus In the next few weeks. Courtesy of Jaben SG. Let’s see where this journey of exploration takes me. It will be a happy couple of weeks until my birthday when I shall decide if I should keep the Ge. Hedonistic perhaps. But when it drives the Abyss, the Susvara, HE-6 and LCD4 effortlessly with such authority... :)

IMG_6895.jpeg

May 29, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #21,493 of 22,511
I was reading some of the older posts in this thread about the midrange on these cans and realized I never did a comparison for the 1266TC on the different amps I own.

To my surprise this combination has smoother, warm, lush mids….

IMG_2068.jpeg

Tung-sol 6L6GC

Than this combination….
IMG_2067.jpeg

WE300b

Never thought I’d say that. 😁

May 30, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #21,494 of 22,511
How much would you say does the superconductor contributes to the excellent midrange??
Also: What does an amp swap do to the headphones (especially 1266 on Envy)?
I'm on the edge of ordering an Envy, it will take some time to arrive, the tubes i most likely start with (and hopefully end with) are Elrog 300B-MO and Linlai Global Elite E-6SN7.

/small advertisement:
I have my 1266 Phi listed for a great price (EU) if someone wants to experience the thunderous 1266 dynamics without paying through the roof.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #21,495 of 22,511
For me the SC cable was subtle. This combination of amp/tubes with the 1266 is huge. Please keep in mind that this isn’t audio nirvana. The stage isn’t as large as other amps and it doesn’t slam as hard as other amps. The amp midrange is sometimes too much when combined with certain hp’s like the Meze elite. Just my opinion.

I just found this combination very interesting and enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back