The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #21,571 of 22,511
Barely. It's ok(-ish).
I have a RME ADI-2 DAC FS. This is a 1k € all-in-one unit that has a very good DAC inside (for the price) and loads of functions like EQ. The amp portion is extremely good for IEMs since it has a 0 Ohm out on the 3.5mm. What the unit lacks is raw power. It is sufficent for 99% of the headphones, but monsters like the 1266, Susvara or the SJY Starry Night are a bit too much.
I can easily turn in up to -5db on more quiet songs, and +6 is max, so the headroom is minimal. It does sound good ok with those very hard to drive planars but you ideally want something with more raw power.

Keep in mind, that's not the Pro version, i don't know if that unit has more power.

:edit:
NEVERMIND, ENABLE HIGH POWER AND YOU HAVE ENOUGH HEADROOM! It probably won't sound as good as a class A(B) though.
So, yeah, 100% doable, has enough power, but won't be a match in heaven (but you can't expect that for the price).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #21,572 of 22,511
Understood. I thought the RME has more power. But looking at the specs again the ADI-2 as well as the Pro-Version has 1.5W each channel what obviously is too few for the 1266 and similar headphones.

However, I guess there is the option to go first with a 2nd hand ADI-2 and - if not sufficient - to add another Amp, or? What kind of Amp up to 1k could be a good fit to the ADI-2 to drive 1266 and similar "monsters"?

What other options are at the market as DAC-Amp combo with >2.5W and below 2k price?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #21,574 of 22,511
As i said, it seems to have enough power when activating high power mode. The iFi Diablo is more of a clunky portable device, but of course can also be used as a desktop solution.
I would also check the used market in the classified (if you're ok with buying used), there are often great opportunities. There is a SPD phonitor e for 925€, i have not heard it, but it seems to have a lot of power and is one level above the RME. Then there is a Ferrum Oor / Hypsos combo which you can call endgame for 2200€ (i own it and it's fantastic).
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/categories/amplification-for-sale-trade.4

Jun 21, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #21,575 of 22,511
In this thread I found that a Diablo was assessed to work well with a 1266. At least the power of 5.5W seems to be sufficient. Are there any experience to share?

Post in thread 'iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...e-reference-done-our-way.951615/post-16423904
I wrote that post. iFi Diablo is a good match for a transportable device but if you don’t need the transportable factor I would recommend a proper desktop option (as I mentioned in the review.) There have also been concerns raised about the diablos rated power output vs what is actually available, though I didn’t have troubles with it in terms of real world use.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #21,578 of 22,511
Ferrum Oor has like 8 watts into 60 ohms (Susvara!) . General rule: always use balanced output if an amp has one (and for some hard to drive planars try to get a balanced amp).
The Hypsos does make it sound better, but it's possible to live without it.

I see you're also from germany, check projekt-akustik, check their Versandrückläufer and Gebrauchtes tab, they also have an Erco right now for 2k, that's a powerfull all-in-one unit, not quite Oor & Hypsos, but should be extremely good. But then you would 100% need a 4.4mm cable with your harder to drive headphones, or an 4.4 -> XLR adapter.
Also: Hifishark is your friend.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #21,580 of 22,511
That's the DAC (output) connection, it's also dual 3pin XLR. The reason for the dual 3 Pin XLR out on the backside is that you can also use the Erco as a DAC only and then route it into something else (for example an Oor).
There are 2 types of XLR, the DAC input / output (dual 3 pin), which is the balanced version of RCA, and then there's the headphone XLR (almost always 4 Pin), which is the balanced version of 6.3mm (unbalanced standard headphone connection). 4.4mm is also a headphone balanced connection, but it's mostly used by smaller or portable devices, often in combination with (harder to drive) IEM's. But it's also balanced, so a generic 4.4 adapter to 4 Pin XLR works.
https://hifigo.com/products/gucraftsman-4pin-xlr-female-to-4-4mm-male-adapter

Also: the dual 3 pin XLR headphone cable (like on the 1266) is EXTREMELY rare, the only single one amplifier that i know of that uses that connection is the WooWa33.
99,9% of the balanced amps are using 4 Pin XLR (or if you want to save space 4.4mm).

The only big difference between balanced and unbalanced is the raw power, but if an amp has BOTH outputs, you ALWAYS should use balanced, since that is what that amp was designed for.
If an amp has only 6.3mm unbalanced out, it probably is way better and more powerful than an amp that costs the same with both options and using its unbalanced out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #21,581 of 22,511
Also: the dual 3 pin headphone cable (like on the 1266) is EXTREMELY rare, the only single one amplifier that i know of that uses it is the WooWa33. 99,9% of amps using 4 Pin XLR (or if you want to save space 4.4mm)
It's actually quite common for more expensive amps.
The OG Cavalli amps also have it, as did the DNA (though not a great match for 1266/Susvara)
It's not electrically different to 4 pin XLR, I won't comment on sound comparisons, but most of my cables are terminated dual 3Pin and I use a small adapter to use 4Pin.

One of the reasons people tend to struggle matching amps to the 1266 and Susvara, is the demand for High powered amps. You can do the math on the Efficiency figures and you'll find you need <1W to get them deafeningly loud. While this is true, you can get very loud on a 1W amp, with the volume Pot near maximum, they don't tend to sound very good on lower powered amps. And there is more to it than just amp being powerful enough.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #21,585 of 22,511
Hello ! After reading here and some further research for me and my 1266 it is coming down to 2 favourites:
Ferrum Erco or Phonitor XE

Both are DAC combis what seems appropriate for me, both are plus/minus in the same money ballpark.

Would you have a recommendation for one of the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back