The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #22,142 of 22,577
Arrived!!

I'll spend some time over the next few days really getting to know these headphones, but I'm listening to Moving Pictures as my first album, as I type this and it's absolutely brilliant, thus far. The soundstage is rivaling my HD800S, which is the first thing I'm noticing. More impressions to follow. Very happy at first listen, however!

uc7feq3.jpg

T3uQAUo.jpg
Giggity

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #22,143 of 22,577
Can anyone please let me know of where to go to get the Rooms Audio Headphone stand for the 1266 in the US? At least I think it was the Rooms stand. It had a place for the HP band as well as the metal top when placing it on the stand. Tks.
I don't think you can get it from the US anymore (Abyss stopped carrying it). You might have to important it from Europe. It is well worth it though. It's definitely the best headphone stand for the TCs.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #22,145 of 22,577
New latest version pads just arrived! What a wonderful experience with JPS Labs. I had ordered the pads, had very nice conversation on the phone (perhaps it was Joe?), and the pads arrived the next day (today). Super fast shipping and listening now as I type this.

I've had about 24 hours with the 1266⏀and I'm completely floored. This is without a doubt, the next level up from anything I've owned and/or heard to date.

My TLDR summary is simply: Holy &$#@ing S****, these sound unbelievable. I don't know that I can add anything that hasn't already been said in this massive thread.

I will say that I have never experienced such well-defined, clear, and visceral bass response like this in any headphone ever. From the kick drum, to upright bass, to electric bass, it's so in-the-room feeling. The sub-bass, is something I can actually feel. The bass definitely has a firm, distinct, authoritative punch; and I'm not even a bass-head listener. Just wow.

I also got the cool guitar pick and sticker to have in the collection!

VQKiUkE.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #22,146 of 22,577
Well that stinks. Thanks for the info.
He sells on Ebay in the US. His other headphone stands/models are listed. You could message him and if he can get you one for the Abyss.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #22,147 of 22,577
New latest version pads just arrived! What a wonderful experience with JPS Labs. I had ordered the pads, had very nice conversation on the phone (perhaps it was Joe?), and the pads arrived the next day (today). Super fast shipping and listening now as I type this.

I've had about 24 hours with the 1266⏀and I'm completely floored. This is without a doubt, the next level up from anything I've owned and/or heard to date.

My TLDR summary is simply: Holy screw** S****, these sound unbelievable. I don't know that I can add anything that hasn't already been said in this massive thread.

I will say that I have never experienced such well-defined, clear, and visceral bass response like this in any headphone ever. From the kick drum, to upright bass, to electric bass, it's so in-the-room feeling. The sub-bass, is something I can actually feel. The bass definitely has a firm, distinct, authoritative punch; and I'm not even a bass-head listener. Just wow.

I also got the cool guitar pick and sticker to have in the collection!

VQKiUkE.jpg
I see you are rocking the old headband. You might want to spring for the new one, as the one you have is prone to breaking and there's no fix.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #22,148 of 22,577
Or if it's too expensive get a (custom/selfmade) leather strap / padding. i know that a few people have DIY'ed something for themselves.

Yeah, the bass and impact is just crazy good.

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #22,149 of 22,577
I see you are rocking the old headband. You might want to spring for the new one, as the one you have is prone to breaking and there's no fix.
Or if it's too expensive get a (custom/selfmade) leather strap / padding. i know that a few people have DIY'ed something for themselves.

Yeah, the bass and impact is just crazy good.
Yeah, if the current strap becomes faulty, I can try some of the DIY solutions done on this thread. Buying a replacement is certainly an option, although the pricey option.

Also, the stock cable: Sounds just fine, actually. Very unwieldy, however. I wish it was soft and pliable, but it functions well. If it becomes bothersome over time, I could buy a suitable aftermarket one. I hope to try a superconductor, if I can find a local owner with one.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #22,150 of 22,577
OK, cable question:

As mentioned, I think the stock cable sounds pretty good. My Abyss 1266⏀ also came with a second, single-ended cable, made by Corpse Cable (terrible name for a company, but whatever). I tried this cable in an A/B fashion with the same amp, and it doesn't sound as good as the stock JPS cable.

If I simply get an XLR to 6.35 mm adapter (roughly ~$20 on Amazon) to convert my JPS from XLR to single-ended, that will suffice, correct? The reason I ask is I don't know if a low-dollar adapter at the front of the signal going to my headphones has a negative effect. I'm kind of new to this sort of thing, so wanted to ask. The scientist in me feels it shouldn't matter. This adapter would allow me to use the JPS cable with another headphone amp that only has a single-ended output.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #22,151 of 22,577
OK, cable question:

As mentioned, I think the stock cable sounds pretty good. My Abyss 1266⏀ also came with a second, single-ended cable, made by Corpse Cable (terrible name for a company, but whatever). I tried this cable in an A/B fashion with the same amp, and it doesn't sound as good as the stock JPS cable.

If I simply get an XLR to 6.35 mm adapter (roughly ~$20 on Amazon) to convert my JPS from XLR to single-ended, that will suffice, correct? The reason I ask is I don't know if a low-dollar adapter at the front of the signal going to my headphones has a negative effect. I'm kind of new to this sort of thing, so wanted to ask. The scientist in me feels it shouldn't matter. This adapter would allow me to use the JPS cable with another headphone amp that only has a single-ended output.
It might matter actually. I'd get an Affinity XLR to 6.35 short adaptor from Sean on eBay (Affinity Adaptors). He uses high quality parts and I've never had a problem with them. I've used the adaptor to try my TCs out of my modded mDAVE and I didn't notice a sound quality hit at all.

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #22,152 of 22,577
the stock is underrated...it is very solid but the form factor could be improved upon

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #22,153 of 22,577
It might matter actually. I'd get an Affinity XLR to 6.35 short adaptor from Sean on eBay (Affinity Adaptors). He uses high quality parts and I've never had a problem with them. I've used the adaptor to try my TCs out of my modded mDAVE and I didn't notice a sound quality hit at all.
Thanks- I checked out the adapter you've mentioned and it looks really good (about $100 after shipping). My concern is that the solid one-piece housing extends the length of the current Neutrik XLR connector and will put more weight on the 1/4" output jack of the amp. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm picturing the single-ended adapter, connected to the XLR, plus the stiffness of the JPS stock cable adding a good amount of strain on the amp's output jack.

I've looked at some adapters that have cable between the 6.35mm/1/4" termination and the female XLR. They range from $20 to $200! I suppose I could try the lower-priced option first and just trust my ears. I'm skeptical that an adapter should cost $200.

Side note: The Abyss 1266 sound great through my Woo WA22, the Linear Tube Audio MZ3, and just for the heck of it, I decided to try it with my RME ADI2 DAC's amp output (set to high-power). The RME ADI2 DAC can actually drive these headphones reasonably well, in high-power mode! I'm impressed and didn't think it would work, but it does.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #22,154 of 22,577
Thanks- I checked out the adapter you've mentioned and it looks really good (about $100 after shipping). My concern is that the solid one-piece housing extends the length of the current Neutrik XLR connector and will put more weight on the 1/4" output jack of the amp. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm picturing the single-ended adapter, connected to the XLR, plus the stiffness of the JPS stock cable adding a good amount of strain on the amp's output jack.

I've looked at some adapters that have cable between the 6.35mm/1/4" termination and the female XLR. They range from $20 to $200! I suppose I could try the lower-priced option first and just trust my ears. I'm skeptical that an adapter should cost $200.

Side note: The Abyss 1266 sound great through my Woo WA22, the Linear Tube Audio MZ3, and just for the heck of it, I decided to try it with my RME ADI2 DAC's amp output (set to high-power). The RME ADI2 DAC can actually drive these headphones reasonably well, in high-power mode! I'm impressed and didn't think it would work, but it does.

I use Neutrik 6.35mm to 4pin xlr, which much cheaper.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002364584717.html

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #22,155 of 22,577
From 20 pages of search results on speaker amps there seems to be plenty of impressions on their capabilities with 1266, but precious few comparisons to standard SS headphone amps like Formula S.

Has anyone experienced both speaker amps (like TToby) and SS amps (Formula S or equivalent) with 1266? Because I can get a TToby for significantly less than FS/Powerman combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back