The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #22,396 of 22,434
The ergonomics on the stock cable are fukcing terrible. I often thought they made it that way so you buy the SC. It worked for me....hahaha :beyersmile:

Typically it's copper for bass, and silver for treble and resolution. A mixed cable might be the best bet. The SC is really good though. I'd personally get that over anything else. I tried the Danacables Nirvana and Voila off the TCs, and I still preferred the SC. I loaned my TCs to Danacables to see if they can make a better cable. We shall see. The SC is hard to top...
I believe it, but I can't spend that kind of coin on the SC. Not in the realm of possibility for me, hence my interest in something in the few hundred range.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #22,397 of 22,434
I believe it, but I can't spend that kind of coin on the SC. Not in the realm of possibility for me, hence my interest in something in the few hundred range.
Lavricables Ultimate or Master line. Amazing value.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #22,398 of 22,434
The ergonomics on the stock cable are fukcing terrible. I often thought they made it that way so you buy the SC. It worked for me....hahaha :beyersmile:

Typically it's copper for bass, and silver for treble and resolution. A mixed cable might be the best bet. The SC is really good though. I'd personally get that over anything else. I tried the Danacables Nirvana and Voila off the TCs, and I still preferred the SC. I loaned my TCs to Danacables to see if they can make a better cable. We shall see. The SC is hard to top...
It kills me that a 10 foot SC cable is like 3000 dollars though.

It is no doubt nicer than stock, but
As much as I've spent stupid amounts of money on this hobby I have trouble parting with 3k for a cable.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #22,399 of 22,434
It kills me that a 10 foot SC cable is like 3000 dollars though.

It is no doubt nicer than stock, but
As much as I've spent stupid amounts of money on this hobby I have trouble parting with 3k for a cable.
You say that, but wait until you spend $5k on a cable :beyersmile:

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #22,401 of 22,434
Hahaha.

See my line of thinking is that could be another headphone...or at least part way to one.

The price of that cable could put me part of the way towards a valkyria

Eh I'll prolly cave eventually
This hobby is absolutely crazy. But, you are right, it would be better spent on a new pair of headphones. The Valkyria is nice! I really like mine. I'd certainly spend that $3k or $5k toward it over cables. Cables are for when you have everything you want already.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #22,402 of 22,434
I'll live vicariously through you guys. You're talking $3K cables? I don't think I could buy a $1K cable. :dt880smile:

I consider myself extremely fortunate to even have the AB 1266!

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #22,403 of 22,434
PSA: profit margin on audio products: cable >>> headphones > speakers > electronics.

Apr 24, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #22,404 of 22,434
Cables are the fondant on a headphone. I could eat the cake but with icing muah. So I add the price of cable to the headphone, if it’s a go it’s a go, if it’s no, well then.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #22,407 of 22,434
Ace Ventura - Going Back (GMS & Poli Remix) -> PGGB DSD 1024fs x 1 -> May -> Bliss -> TC == Drug. That bass after 1 minute feels like the whole house was shaking. It's amazing how that reconstruction accuracy grows and reaches it's peak at one-stage DSD1024. It's so visible in bass section. Bass becomes constantly more visceral (once we reach 256fs x 4) and authorative until finally, becomes real. I've been listening to this track so many times, just to hear that bass. It's so unreal. It's that feeling when you are in presence of something greater and you just stop to appreciate.

Another bass drug track recommendation for other addicts: Deadmau5 - XYZ. Especially that beginning is amazing (bass ambient starts kicking in after 40s).

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #22,408 of 22,434
Previously the 1266 TC wasn't always my favorite headphone. There's one aspect which all this while bugs me, and that is the tonality and timbre. I always felt it's a bit off, treble sounds unnatural/metallic and bass sometimes becomes overwhelming. After using Mitch neutral-bass filter, it has somewhat improved but I still prefer my other headphones. It came to a point where I put my TC on sale but somehow nobody wanted to buy them in my country. However, for this past one month or so, I've been listening to it more frequently out of my 300B preamp + Primavera combo (+ still using Mitch neutral-bass filter), and voila, I no longer have this timbre issue. Everything sounds so natural, very even frequency from top to bottom, a very full, seductive and forward midrange, and treble is much more natural than ever. Although soundstage is not as wide or open as from my CFA3, but still has very very good depth and layering.

I'm glad it works out and I don't think I will put the TC on sale in the future. Very very enjoyable with my music genre (jazz + classical).

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #22,409 of 22,434
So, Danacables is sending me a special cable they made for the TCs. I'm getting it this next week. He wanted me to send it to another head-fi person on here that wants more mid-range on the TCs. If you are in the US, and you post regularly, I can send it to you after I listen to it, and you can demo it too and give feedback. Just PM me

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #22,410 of 22,434
I'm gonna be selling my WA33 EE JPS to buy something else. I'm gonna be posting a classified ad soon, but if anybody is interested pm me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back