The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #5,866 of 22,550
The requirements of 1-4 watt for proper driving Abyss is very reasonable and I have no idea why anyone would object to it. It’s a low efficiency headphone.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #5,868 of 22,550
Sounds like a classic case of up-selling to me, a solid technique to apply to audiophiles where their gear is concerned as well as prospective bridegrooms shopping for engagement rings.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #5,869 of 22,550
The first statement below is not correct.

"A headphone amp isn't optional, you literally (emphasis added) will not be able to hear the headphones without one. "

The second statement below I find vary sensible. I can only speculate how the question was original put, but from the response I guess that it was in line with: What’s the power requirements for proper driving of Abyss? Or something like that. To inform a customer that the Abyss is a low efficiency headphone is not up-selling, not to me.

"Because of their specialized drivers, which happen to have very low efficiency, most headphone amplifiers can't drive them. The requirements for proper operation are from 1000 to 4000mW (emphasis added), which puts them in rather an exclusive range of headphone amplifiers."

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #5,870 of 22,550
Greetings! Following RMAF I decided to join the Abyss Phi camp... I just sold my Focal Utopia. I always felt the Utopia were a little too light on the bottom. I know the Abyss can deliver so I'm excited. However being so expensive I'm also questioning my sanity...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #5,871 of 22,550
we all question sanity in this hobby...as one who owns both the Phi and the Utopia I will tell you I think the Phi is far better..I keep the Utopia because of its efficiency for certain occasions

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #5,872 of 22,550
Greetings! Following RMAF I decided to join the Abyss Phi camp... I just sold my Focal Utopia. I always felt the Utopia were a little too light on the bottom. I know the Abyss can deliver so I'm excited. However being so expensive I'm also questioning my sanity...

Most audiophiles are at least a little bit insane. They are a great headphone my friend, you already have the right avatar :wink:

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5,873 of 22,550
Can't wait for my Phi upgrade to come someday.

Not sure when yet but it'll be exciting.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #5,874 of 22,550
Got to hear the Phi today driven by the most excellent Wells Audio Enigma and boy did I enjoy what I heard. The mids/treble refinements were apparent right away. Very nice headphones...hoping to get a pair to review in a more quiet setting at home. Very impressive combination of headphones/amplifier!

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5,875 of 22,550
told you lol.....really special

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #5,876 of 22,550
Got to hear the Phi today driven by the most excellent Wells Audio Enigma and boy did I enjoy what I heard. The mids/treble refinements were apparent right away. Very nice headphones...hoping to get a pair to review in a more quiet setting at home. Very impressive combination of headphones/amplifier!

I also got to listen to the Phi. I think this is my favorite Non-Vintage headphone! Yikes and that speaks volume to me ... I am very impress by it.

The only cons were the unusual ear-pads placements and adjustments and just having it float in the ears part. beside that A+
SSSSSSSS.jpg

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #5,877 of 22,550

Maybe we will turn you into a believer after all :wink:

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #5,878 of 22,550
For once its the only Headphone I have been listening to consistenly for weeks now. I am actually buying music and thinking how good will this sound on the Phi. I have 400+ hours on mine now and wow they sound great. Very different from when they were new.

The new Blade Runner Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is getting a lot of play as is the Snowden Soundtrack not to mention Atomic Blonde Movie Soundtrack and for those of us old enough to remember the 80's.

Atomic Blonde (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).jpg

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #5,879 of 22,550
The one thing I wish I knew before upgrading was how this new driver compares (technology and design-wise) to my current Abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back