The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #7,306 of 22,458
There is a black metal band called Abyss

hqdefault.jpg

Or I assume they're black metal because of how illegibly it's written...

A7E685BF-37F6-49BF-ABD3-F2D08894432F.jpeg

The Abyss responed very well to the Abyss Death metal band haha

https://tidal.com/album/44097085

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #7,307 of 22,458
Interested in your impression. It is always good to know how others feel about the parring you are using too.
I have this as well, and love it. The combination with the M-Scaler/Dave is the best I have ever heard.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #7,308 of 22,458
All this talk about Dave, it was on my shortlist then decided to wait on the MSB Select / Premier.

Until then though I've jsut receive the analog upgraded yggdrasil. I did not realize there was still so much more to be extracted from music. This simple 500$ upgrade has made a significant improvement in detail retrieval and resolution.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #7,310 of 22,458
Been doing a lot of A/Bing with the older and newer CC pads. One thing that stands out about the older pads is that the image is taller for me. The CC pads widen the soundstage but at the expense of height to my ears. I think this reduced height is what I was previously noticing when I thought that the imaging was lost a bit in the newer pads. I've been listening on the CC pads for a couple months straight now, so maybe it's just the change to something different, but I might be preferring the older pads, depending on the music. The bass is less focused and more diffuse with the older pads, but that can be fun depending on the track. Nice to have both to swap out when I feel like a change in sound.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #7,311 of 22,458
Any one tried the Abyss phi with the Pass HPA-1?
Wondering if that’s a good combination or the Abyss is too demanding for it.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #7,312 of 22,458
Been doing a lot of A/Bing with the older and newer CC pads. One thing that stands out about the older pads is that the image is taller for me. The CC pads widen the soundstage but at the expense of height to my ears. I think this reduced height is what I was previously noticing when I thought that the imaging was lost a bit in the newer pads. I've been listening on the CC pads for a couple months straight now, so maybe it's just the change to something different, but I might be preferring the older pads, depending on the music. The bass is less focused and more diffuse with the older pads, but that can be fun depending on the track. Nice to have both to swap out when I feel like a change in sound.
Next part of the hobby: Pad rolling.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #7,313 of 22,458
Does anyone have any trouble with Radiohead - Codex on their Abyss Phi at a moderate-high volume? This is a track that I'm currently having a lot of trouble playing without some odd resonant/distortion type noise when the vocals come in (around 40 seconds in). Granted, it may not be a well mastered track, but just curious if anybody else notices anything similar on their headphones. Trying to do some troubleshooting and would really appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #7,314 of 22,458
Does anyone have any trouble with Radiohead - Codex on their Abyss Phi at a moderate-high volume? This is a track that I'm currently having a lot of trouble playing without some odd resonant/distortion type noise when the vocals come in. Granted, it may not be a well mastered track, but just curious if anybody else notices anything similar on their headphones. Trying to do some troubleshooting and would really appreciate the feedback.

Very likely crap mastering (I don't have the track to confirm - or the Abyss for that matter, lol). I find that usually when the dynamic range of the track is terrible I will also hear distortion in the mix. Not always, but usually.

Here is Radiohead's King Of Limbs album's dynamic range (it's abysmal):

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/130429

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #7,315 of 22,458
Any one tried the Abyss phi with the Pass HPA-1?
Wondering if that’s a good combination or the Abyss is too demanding for it.

Thanks!
^Bumpy! Anyone? No one?

Dec 10, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #7,317 of 22,458
All this talk about Dave, it was on my shortlist then decided to wait on the MSB Select / Premier.

Until then though I've jsut receive the analog upgraded yggdrasil. I did not realize there was still so much more to be extracted from music. This simple 500$ upgrade has made a significant improvement in detail retrieval and resolution.

I had a similar revelation moving from Yggy A2 to DAVE.. didn't expect such a night and day difference, I was quite impressed.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #7,318 of 22,458
The phi is not as power hungry as you think. Are you mostly worried about power requirement or synergy?
Well, both...
Thanks!

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7,320 of 22,458
The phi is not as power hungry as you think. Are you mostly worried about power requirement or synergy?

mulder01, how is it going with your system now, are you still considering selling it? I was hoping you changed your mind.

I seem to have got in deeper into Headphones. After my Stax 009 and 007 sale and the Carbon amp, I bought the LCD4s, then the V281.

I heard the Malvalve head amp at Munich hifi show this year, and it was magical, beyond what I have heard on any SS amps to date. This got me thinking.

Aries_Cerat_Genus_08.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_07.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_06.jpg
Aries_Cerat_Genus_09.jpg

I have got the Aries Cerat Genus coming in. It is an integrated SET with 25 watts using big bottle tubes. Besides speaker use, it also has an excellent headphone output for both high and low impedance headphones driven by the powerful output tubes.

I was curious about the Viva Egoista for a while, wanting an ultimate tube amp for headphone use. I now I am thinking the Genus could be my end game headphone amplifier. I have heard it on speakers and it was fabulous, incredibly liquid with classic SET midrange magic, smooth treble and superb bass control and dynamics. Best I have heard in a tube amplifier to date. It is 15K euros, so an investment, but has the dual purpose of a high end integrated speaker amplifier as well as a headphone amplifier. I am told it can power any headphone. The amplifier is a big beast and weights in at 67 kilos.

I'll report back here with my findings. Anyone in Spain who wants to hear it please PM me. I am the official distributor for Aries Cerat in Spain now, so I can demo any of their products and provide local support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back