The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #7,351 of 22,449
I used Gsx in the past but sibilance problem occur often and sound is too tough... riviera aic10 totally changed the sound quality to a very high level.

If Gsx is musical, I think you should try aic10 if that’s possible. That’s another stuff and not even close. Gsx has the power and clarity but aic10 adds a lot more. Of course price is a lot different as well. Gsx is very good in that price range in my view.

And also it might be the source we used is different, I’m using emmlabs dac2x v2 and memory player 64-16
I don't own the Abyss Phi, I borrowed it from The Cable Company. I was just stating that I Neve heard any sibilance at all out of either, the GS-X or WA33. I don't believe I'd be reaching for the Abyss Phi enough to justify owning them after demoing. That's just the way I feel. I'm not saying they weren't excellent sounding headphones at all.

Dec 24, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #7,352 of 22,449
I don't own the Abyss Phi, I borrowed it from The Cable Company. I was just stating that I Neve heard any sibilance at all out of either, the GS-X or WA33. I don't believe I'd be reaching for the Abyss Phi enough to justify owning them after demoing. That's just the way I feel. I'm not saying they weren't excellent sounding headphones at all.
What would you reach for?

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #7,353 of 22,449
What would you reach for?
The Utopia & HE1000V2 which I've recently purchased BNIB at a steal. I'm finding it to be a very enjoyable headphone for me. I find myself alternating between these two headphones like I've never done with any other headphones. In the past I usually favored one headphone while the other/s sat in the drawer...this is definitely not the case with these two, they both get equal head time.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #7,354 of 22,449
The Utopia & HE1000V2 which I've recently purchased BNIB at a steal. I'm finding it to be a very enjoyable headphone for me. I find myself alternating between these two headphones like I've never done with any other headphones. In the past I usually favored one headphone while the other/s sat in the drawer...this is definitely not the case with these two, they both get equal head time.

Utopia used to get similar head time as my abyss. But when I got the abyss phi with cc pads on WA33 EE with nos tubes, the Utopia didn't scale as well. And ended up not getting much head time at all. Which is why I've out my utopia up for sale. I'll grab susvara.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #7,355 of 22,449
Utopia used to get similar head time as my abyss. But when I got the abyss phi with cc pads on WA33 EE with nos tubes, the Utopia didn't scale as well. And ended up not getting much head time at all. Which is why I've out my utopia up for sale. I'll grab susvara.
I'd seen your Utopia F/S and have read that you were interested in the Susvara, so I figured this was your next move.

Being I just received my HE1KV2 not too long ago and I'm really enjoying them very much I'd like to stay right where I am as far as moving on to try the SE or Susvara. In time I will try both, though. Keep us posted on the Susvara.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #7,356 of 22,449
I'd seen your Utopia F/S and have read that you were interested in the Susvara, so I figured this was your next move.

Being I just received my HE1KV2 not too long ago and I'm really enjoying them very much I'd like to stay right where I am as far as moving on to try the SE or Susvara. In time I will try both, though. Keep us posted on the Susvara.

Ive owned the HEK v1 and v2, so I'll let you know how the susvara compares.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #7,357 of 22,449
I sold my GS-X and have a Woo WA5 LE being delivered tomorrow. In the interim I'm listening to Phi's direct from BluDave. More power would be nice, but it is not a necessity and the Phi does not fall on it's face as you stated. It's great to run the numbers but it's still a guide, not an absolute. The final outcome is heavily influenced by the demands of the music and the volume which you are playing.

Did you do a review of the WA5 LE? Curious to hear your thoughts. I recently heard one with upgraded tubes driven from a Yggy using my Phi and thought it was the best amp I've heard to date, easily driving the Phi with no sense of struggling. There are still many I have yet to hear, like the Formula S, Headtrip, and more.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #7,358 of 22,449
Did you do a review of the WA5 LE? Curious to hear your thoughts. I recently heard one with upgraded tubes driven from a Yggy using my Phi and thought it was the best amp I've heard to date, easily driving the Phi with no sense of struggling. There are still many I have yet to hear, like the Formula S, Headtrip, and more.

I have the 1st gen WA5 and I think that it's a pretty good choice for the 1266 phi's, depending on how much you like the laid back presentation. For me the 300b solution is ultimately a little soft for the 1266 phi's, and in particular the WA5 which is pretty euphoric and even less energetic than the Manley 300b or Cayin HA300. The Airtight 300b is IMO the reference-level 300b design, and with that benchmark the WA5 comes just a tiny bit short on staging and dynamics. The Airtight needs a preamp and is also more expensive, though.

If you enjoy the euphoria and smoothness and can find one at a good price, it's a great choice. The Formula S is ultimately a more energetic amp although not more resolving than the WA5. 845 amps typically have better density than 300b's but your choices are more limited on that end.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #7,359 of 22,449
Hey guys. I don't have a pair of AB-1266 currently, but I remember them well having owned both the original and Phi (not the CC though.) I currently have the Diana Phi and i urge you to go listen to the album I have linked below if you have 45 minutes of free time. If you like the youtube sample, go download it in high quality. It is worth it. It is a masterclass in electronica productions values. Tons of Micro detail, soul shaking bass, and some seriously great atmosphere on some of the tracks. It is really well done album in my opinion and really shows off the Abyss's strengths. Hope some of you enjoy it :)

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #7,361 of 22,449

Really depends on your source (including recordings) here. The GS_X M2 measures dead flat and is a microscope on what you're feeding it. :)

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #7,362 of 22,449
Hey guys. I don't have a pair of AB-1266 currently, but I remember them well having owned both the original and Phi (not the CC though.) I currently have the Diana Phi and i urge you to go listen to the album I have linked below if you have 45 minutes of free time. If you like the youtube sample, go download it in high quality. It is worth it. It is a masterclass in electronica productions values. Tons of Micro detail, soul shaking bass, and some seriously great atmosphere on some of the tracks. It is really well done album in my opinion and really shows off the Abyss's strengths. Hope some of you enjoy it :)

Great sharing!

Here is another electro 3D recording made for Abyss :

How do like your new Diana Phi vs your previously Abyss Phi besides comfort and weight ?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #7,363 of 22,449
Really depends on your source (including recordings) here. The GS_X M2 measures dead flat and is a microscope on what you're feeding it. :)
Agreed.
Although, I did prefer the utopia over the 1266 right now. I say right now because after sending back the 1266 I'd already made reservations to borrow them again in the future.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #7,364 of 22,449
Great sharing!

Here is another electro 3D recording made for Abyss :

How do like your new Diana Phi vs your previously Abyss Phi besides comfort and weight ?

Hey Frederik! Great to see you post, had wondered where you had disappeared to! I really like the Diana Phi. You miss a bit soundstage and imaging vs. the AB-1266 Phi, but it is minimal. I shared some extensive thoughts below

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/abyss-headphones-diana.22827/reviews

Hope you are well :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #7,365 of 22,449
I am currently looking to upgrade from HIFIMAN HEKse to one of several possibilities:

I very much like the open 3D sound stage of the HIFIMAN paired with the Chord DAVE direct. Despite the need for external amps in the chain and some loss of transparency I am wondering between the Stax SR 009s with Carbon amp and the Abyss PHI with a quality SS amp, which of the two would have the best sound stage and rendering of micro detail?

I haven’t heard the Empyrean yet and also wonder how it compares to the above two?

Hey Frederik! Great to see you post, had wondered where you had disappeared to! I really like the Diana Phi. You miss a bit soundstage and imaging vs. the AB-1266 Phi, but it is minimal. I shared some extensive thoughts below

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/abyss-headphones-

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back