The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #13,741 of 22,511
I did send an email, but scrounging around for a temp fix. A couple pieces of fabric, snap on fasteners and o-rings and it’s not the worst thing. Definitely not as nice as a stock headband, but it’s nicer than rolling up a hand towel like I saw someone else use when there’s broke and were waiting for a replacement.

1A500B0B-05AE-496A-BF3F-AD3148ADACE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #13,742 of 22,511
[I guess you could try some half-inch or three-quarter inch Velcro strips and make a loop out of it. You’ll have to experiment with the length to get the proper height of the head band since there will be no real stretch.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #13,744 of 22,511
I did send an email, but scrounging around for a temp fix. A couple pieces of fabric, snap on fasteners and o-rings and it’s not the worst thing. Definitely not as nice as a stock headband, but it’s nicer than rolling up a hand towel like I saw someone else use when there’s broke and were waiting for a replacement.

1A500B0B-05AE-496A-BF3F-AD3148ADACE9.jpeg
wow, quite innovative...calling an audible

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #13,745 of 22,511
Forget that suggestion. I just realized there’s no place to connect it to the frame.
I did almost use velcro instead of fasteners but I was concerned instead that it wouldn't be able to hold the tension of the o-rings. The velcro I had on hand was some weaker stuff and pretty scratchy too so I decided against it.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #13,746 of 22,511
So I am considering joining the TC family in a few weeks or so. To those who are connecting the balanced stock or superconductor cable: What adapter do you use to connect it to the back of the TT2? A few kind head-fi members have already offered their suggestions (thanks to @simorag in particular). A custom adapter from DHC on the basis of a custom Prion4 cable design was mentioned as well as an adapter based on their Noir HPC Cable from Forza Audio Works.

I really appreciate all input.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #13,747 of 22,511
Gonna try the rad0.
I'm hoping for 80% of TCs resolution with a far smoother signature to fix my sensitivity issue to treble

Cooper cable coming for TC to see if it smooths out one last time as a usb cable sure did smoothed out about half. I'm close by.

Can't keep both, 1 gotta go.

So I am considering joining the TC family in a few weeks or so. To those who are connecting the balanced stock or superconductor cable: What adapter do you use to connect it to the back of the TT2? A few kind head-fi members have already offered their suggestions (thanks to @simorag in particular). A custom adapter from DHC on the basis of a custom Prion4 cable design was mentioned as well as an adapter based on their Noir HPC Cable from Forza Audio Works.

I really appreciate all input.
Lqi has one on ebay.
Norne audio s4 Silvergarde, with a far longer wait

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #13,749 of 22,511
LOL good luck! RAD-0 are nowhere near TC.
Doesn't have to be, I'm looking for the character I'm looking for. TC a little too bright for me. After talking to quite a lot of experienced users, they advised a better amp would fix most of it, but part of its character is that treble so it won't ever be entirely away. That's fine, hopefully these cables would make it tolerable for me, I wish I could keep both.

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #13,750 of 22,511
20210130_180956.jpg

Yesterday I dug this out from my drawer.. AMB labs Gamma2 dac. RCA out to Milo Reference and then TC Phi. Lol... Power and data through a cheap USB mini cord. Well.. I just have to say maybe I just really don't have golden ears because I'm actually really enjoying this little thing! Not bad for a really low cost 15 year old dac that hasn't been used for over a decade..

So far everything I've played through it onto the TC Phi sounds so good. Nice mids and low end. And I have no idea how it measures (lol) and I really don't care.
Like the comment about about how you don't care how it measures. I'm like that too, not really interested in measurements. My ears are my measuring tool. LOL.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #13,752 of 22,511
Like the comment about about how you don't care how it measures. I'm like that too, not really interested in measurements. My ears are my measuring tool. LOL.

Exactly. 100%

You’ll never be able to tell if you’re going to like how it sounds by just looking at measurements on the page.

As an example, years ago I was looking for new speakers. I heard great things about the Revel Salon 2. They were $20,000 a pair, and were speaker of the year for Stereophile magazine. They said these speakers tested better than any speaker they’ve tested. So I drove into Manhattan with a check, prepared to buy them. The salesman set me up in a room with the speakers, and I put on a few songs. I though they sounded horrible. The absolute opposite of musical. I left without buying obviously.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #13,753 of 22,511
However, it is sometimes hard to go against the tide in reverse, I mean when you like something and nobody else. I have a friend who loves the Sonorous X, and he might be one of the only three on the planet. I think he will at one point sell since everybody and anybody tells him how terrible it looks and sounds. Pressure :).

Or me with the Empy, haha. Only joking. Some love it ... but definitely not all.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #13,754 of 22,511
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #13,755 of 22,511
Doesn't have to be, I'm looking for the character I'm looking for. TC a little too bright for me. After talking to quite a lot of experienced users, they advised a better amp would fix most of it, but part of its character is that treble so it won't ever be entirely away. That's fine, hopefully these cables would make it tolerable for me, I wish I could keep both.

What kinds of songs, or which artist that you like that sounds too sharp on TC?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back