The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #16,696 of 22,540
It's a surprisingly difficult comparison, one that I think comes down to what you listen to most regularly.
My 1266 is still only a couple of weeks old, but it's an initially very impressive headphone, it took me this long to miss the Susvara (I listen to all my new gear pretty much exclusively for a week or two, then swap back).
Short version to me at least is Bass, Macrodynamics and with a slight caveat staging, go to the 1266, with the right amp Naturalness of presentation, timbre and micro dynamics go to the Susvara.
I consider detail to be a tie on my amps, I initially felt the 1266 had more, but having now gone back, I think it's just presented differently, and in some ways I'd argue for the Susvara on that point.
Both are comfortable headphones once you get past messing with the pads on the 1266.
The Susvara is more amp picky, I'll keep both, my D8000pro might be out of a job, but I still prefer the bass presentation on that headphone to even the 1266, it doesn't have the extension or slam of the 1266 but it's still the only headphone that can provide the level of articulation of bass effectively.

The 1266 doesn't murder average to bad recordings quite as much either.

I could see some people taking stances of definitively preferring one or the other, so if you can you should try and hear them, but the 1266 is the most immediately impressive of the two. The Susvara needs more listening time to really appeciate.

My music library is wide and deep from 1950s Jazz and 50s popular to modern day electronic including a lot of everything in between however well recorded vocals has to have that living presence my main system does so well , Lamm mono blocks Gershman speakers , I want with a headphone system. The HiFiman I use now were purchased used and are my 2nd headphone I’ve owned it’s time to move away from the flaws of the 1000SE to another level.

Jul 9, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #16,697 of 22,540
@cjarrett @MatW @Litlgi74

It's a 3d printed frame that takes 6 magnets to attach to the driver assembly. I fitted them inside the frame, so they wont be visible once the two parts are assembled. Second part attaches to the pad, the outer diameter is variable so it takes pretty much any pad out there. This version was for me so I can quickly swap pads. In my case the pads stay perma-mounted to the adapter ring since I've built that system for most headphones I own, so I can easily switch them around. If I make these for others, I'd probably add some latches to the inner ring to add more friction for a more permanent solution. Just hit me up if you're interested. Or if you want to print them yourself I've attached the stl files for the non latched 104mm version.
So picking up the idea (and the headphone from @DuncanDirkDick :smile:) I did some more testing on different pads and other ideas I had. At the end I have now 2 variants that I prefer over the stock pads of the A1266.

The first one is, that I have created the magnet ring with air vents combined with thick pads, that elevate the bass a little bit and also provides even more of a soundstage. But we are talking about only 10 -15%. This sounds really really good. It is also totally non-dependant on how you set the headband up, as the thick pads will completely "press" against your head (no pressure, but they seal).

1625863346808.png

1625863365859.png

And the second variant is by using TH900 pads without the ventialed magnet holders. They are quite thin compared to the original pads, so give you room between the ears and the pads. Makes it really comfortable to wear and the loose fit gives you also a little boost on soundstage and at the same time the fabric on the pads tame the treble a little bit so you can use it for really long listening sessions.

1625863566196.png

1625863575176.png

Next on the list is to create a proper headband that makes the wearing more comfortable. The idea is to extend the contact area of the headband by using a thinner nappa leather and stretching the dimensions a little bit. The original headband has a very thick leather and also towards the edges it quirls and looses contact area.

1625863987109.png

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #16,698 of 22,540
After 16 weeks wait they are finally here!! The wait was absolutely agonising but man are they worth it..it took me a while to get the fitting and pads right but once I did. Wow. So damn impressive. The bass is my absolute fav part of this headphone, the slam is just insane. Thanks to @Abyss Headphones helping me the last few weeks work out when I was finally going to get my pair.

I upgraded from a Hifiman arya. At one point in time I was debating between HE1000SE/utopia/LCD4 but after reading reviews of the 1266tc I knew it was the headphone for me! (Susvara Is also on wants list)

I also bought a formula S and powerman recently from an amazing member on this forum and also have a DAVE on home demo so I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks comparing everything. I'm also eager to hear a bartok and holo may KTE later this year. I plan to try a bunch of different gear to find what works for me and excited to discuss it with everyone on this forum!

I will report back with more impressions and comparisons in time but for now it's time to get the headphones burnt in. Thanks for reading :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #16,699 of 22,540
After 16 weeks wait they are finally here!! The wait was absolutely agonising but man are they worth it..it took me a while to get the fitting and pads right but once I did. Wow. So damn impressive. The bass is my absolute fav part of this headphone, the slam is just insane. Thanks to @Abyss Headphones helping me last few weeks work out when I was finally going to get my pair.

I upgraded from a Hifiman arya. At one point in time I was debating between HE1000SE/utopia/LCD4 but after reading reviews of the 1266tc I knew it was the headphone for me! (Susvara Is also on wants list)

I also bought a formula S and powerman recently and also have a DAVE on home demo so I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks comparing everything. I'm also eager to hear a bartok and holo may KTE later this year. I plan to try a bunch of different gear to find what works for me and excited to discuss it with everyone on this forum!

I will report back with more impressions and comparisons in time but for now it's time to get the headphones burnt in. Thanks for reading :beerchug:

I'm so glad you finally got yours! Instant like before even reading your post fully... 😊. You now have the best headphones in the world IMHO. Enjoy!!

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #16,700 of 22,540
After 16 weeks wait they are finally here!! The wait was absolutely agonising but man are they worth it..it took me a while to get the fitting and pads right but once I did. Wow. So damn impressive. The bass is my absolute fav part of this headphone, the slam is just insane. Thanks to @Abyss Headphones helping me last few weeks work out when I was finally going to get my pair.

I also bought a formula S and powerman recently and also have a DAVE on home demo so I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks comparing everything. I'm also eager to hear a bartok and holo may KTE later this year. I plan to try a bunch of different gear to find what works for me and excited to discuss it with everyone on this forum!

Congratulations! Let the additional spending begin!

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #16,701 of 22,540
After 16 weeks wait they are finally here!! The wait was absolutely agonising but man are they worth it..it took me a while to get the fitting and pads right but once I did. Wow. So damn impressive. The bass is my absolute fav part of this headphone, the slam is just insane. Thanks to @Abyss Headphones helping me the last few weeks work out when I was finally going to get my pair.

I also bought a formula S and powerman recently from an amazing member on this forum and also have a DAVE on home demo so I'm gonna be busy for the next few weeks comparing everything. I'm also eager to hear a bartok and holo may KTE later this year. I plan to try a bunch of different gear to find what works for me and excited to discuss it with everyone on this forum!

Nice setup my man! I know we're all chasing perfection in this hobby but you could easily stop there. Enjoy!

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #16,702 of 22,540
ah yes, he could stop...but lol

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #16,703 of 22,540

Really nice. They look great on that stand.

Jul 9, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #16,705 of 22,540
Nice setup my man! I know we're all chasing perfection in this hobby but you could easily stop there. Enjoy!
I could but I honestly blame the majority of the regular posters on this forum lmao you know who you are! I really enjoy the discussions and trying different things. I don't believe in absolute perfection especially in this hobby :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #16,706 of 22,540
So picking up the idea (and the headphone from @DuncanDirkDick :smile:) I did some more testing on different pads and other ideas I had. At the end I have now 2 variants that I prefer over the stock pads of the A1266.

The first one is, that I have created the magnet ring with air vents combined with thick pads, that elevate the bass a little bit and also provides even more of a soundstage. But we are talking about only 10 -15%. This sounds really really good. It is also totally non-dependant on how you set the headband up, as the thick pads will completely "press" against your head (no pressure, but they seal).

1625863346808.png

1625863365859.png

And the second variant is by using TH900 pads without the ventialed magnet holders. They are quite thin compared to the original pads, so give you room between the ears and the pads. Makes it really comfortable to wear and the loose fit gives you also a little boost on soundstage and at the same time the fabric on the pads tame the treble a little bit so you can use it for really long listening sessions.

1625863566196.png

1625863575176.png

Next on the list is to create a proper headband that makes the wearing more comfortable. The idea is to extend the contact area of the headband by using a thinner nappa leather and stretching the dimensions a little bit. The original headband has a very thick leather and also towards the edges it quirls and looses contact area.

1625863987109.png
Can you show us the frame protector you've made?

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #16,707 of 22,540
You guys with both 1266 TC & Susvaras which brand does well recorded vocals best ? meaning most human sounding,…I haven’t listened to either however next month I will be checking the both brands out , until that day comes time is moving slooow,.
Vocals sound more natural and intimate with the Susvara in my opinion.
Even my under powered Susvara have better vocals than 1266, no question about that to my ears. Not as good as HE-1, but that's to be expected. If you only care about vocals (or mids in general), the way I would describe the difference is that 1266 is a bit "distant" as if the singer was singing from a hallway, the mids are recessed and sometimes a bit cold. On well recorded intimate songs it sound good, but not as good as Susvara, plus Susvara is more forgiving on the rest. Hope this helps.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #16,709 of 22,540
anyone know of any discount codes for abyss website? Thanks
Not that I know of. But the dealers sell at the same price as the Abyss website, so you might try asking a dealer instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back