The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #16,771 of 22,545
On the lighter side, Joe from Abyss has spoken of a "The Big Guy" to follow 1266. Here is a secret photo from a test-out.

Headphones.jpeg

(Yeah, we love you, Abyss. We wouldn't make such jokes for any lesser like.)

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #16,772 of 22,545
On the lighter side, Joe from Abyss has spoken of a "The Big Guy" to follow 1266. Here is a secret photo from a test-out.

Headphones.jpeg

(Yeah, we love you, Abyss. We wouldn't make such jokes for any lesser like.)

I love how they call it the big guy. As if 1266tc isn't big enough lmao

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #16,773 of 22,545
FYI I was the one talking about the Viva STX and Shangri-La Sr combo (Post on the SR1a thread).
After spending more time with both, I confirm my early impressions, the sound is phenomenal and combines the best to my ears of the 1266, SR1a and likely the Susvara (I better know the HE1000se which I have owned for some time).

If you ever get the chance, would be great to see really in depth impressions on the combo. Based on what I can tell, my line of thinking is that the SGL will likely replace the 009 and Susvara for me. I think it, the TC and Sr1 (since the TC and Raal are so unique) a is probably a really good 3 can group to land on permanently. Considering the STX and potentially 3ES as well, but still not sure as I really enjoy the BHSE.

Thank you, I am enjoying the sound, just feel a bit unlucky with those tubes I got. Hope they sort me out quickly. As for 1266's mids, I definitely plan to audition more headphones, to find a better pairing for mids focused music. For me, 1266 is just perfect for EDM, but not for acoustic or vocal heavy music, HE-1 was the best for me there. Not sure if SR1a will get me there (most likely will be just more analytical, but who knows, have a demo scheduled for end of August) will use HSA-1b. If I like what I hear, perhaps will buy both and then HSA-1b will work for 1266 as well? Does it improve mids in terms of making bass worse, or just fixing mids? Another audition I have is for 009S, so curious how those sound on mids. As for Shangri-La Sr, I have an audition scheduled too, but with their own amp, which on its own costs like 18k, which if one is to add Viva STX, becomes like 30k combo. Maybe my Viva dealer would get me home audition for STX, but I don't think I will be able to get my hands on home audition Shangri-la Sr, and not at the same time, that combo will most likely elude me, haha.

Sorry you ran into tube issues, hope they're fixed asap! Also, wanted to comment that you can't really fix the TC's midrange issues. You can certainly add a bit of warmth, but no amp is going to correct the recession issue. At least not from my experience. EQ (I don't do) or turning the volume up just a bit (which I do do) are probably the only option. But that's why having the Susvara or something similar to compliment is a good idea.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #16,774 of 22,545
Sorry you ran into tube issues, hope they're fixed asap! Also, wanted to comment that you can't really fix the TC's midrange issues. You can certainly add a bit of warmth, but no amp is going to correct the recession issue. At least not from my experience. EQ (I don't do) or turning the volume up just a bit (which I do do) are probably the only option. But that's why having the Susvara or something similar to compliment is a good idea.
I’d really like to hear from more posters about this. It seems (to me) that the Superconductor does help. I’m pretty happy with the midrange to be honest but we all hear a bit differently.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #16,775 of 22,545
If you ever get the chance, would be great to see really in depth impressions on the combo. Based on what I can tell, my line of thinking is that the SGL will likely replace the 009 and Susvara for me. I think it, the TC and Sr1 (since the TC and Raal are so unique) a is probably a really good 3 can group to land on permanently. Considering the STX and potentially 3ES as well, but still not sure as I really enjoy the BHSE.

I won’t provide depth impressions at this stage as it would need careful comparisons with other headphones. What I can say is that the SGL on the STX checks all boxes for me and I could imagine having only this combo. While the TC will go a little bit deeper with more grunt and the SR1a will still be more open, the differences are quite small to my ears. The combination of an amazing clarity, speed and smoothness is above everything I have had the opportunity to listen to up to now. The tonality is spot on.

I have nearly no experience with the BHSE so I can’t comment about how the association with the SGL would work but due to its reputation I would imagine it is in the same class as the STX.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #16,776 of 22,545
I’d really like to hear from more posters about this. It seems (to me) that the Superconductor does help. I’m pretty happy with the midrange to be honest but we all hear a bit differently.
The TC lacks midrange. There is detail that is recessed. I’m definitely disappointed that it has to sacrifice midrange but the presentation of what it does play is amazing.

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #16,780 of 22,545
Thanks. I think the Supercable improves mids, but it may be because the cable wasn’t cheap! I have gone back and forth comparing the stock to the Superconductor. The cable was certainly good at sucking money out of my wallet…
I have such a hard time justifying really really expensive cables. I dunno. I’m sure it helps.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #16,781 of 22,545
I have such a hard time justifying really really expensive cables. I dunno. I’m sure it helps.
I purchased my Superconductor cable from a really nice member here at head-fi and I can likely sell it for all or most of what I paid. I’ve purchased several other “expensive” cables from other members as well. Still not cheap but I highly recommend supporting members who want to pass on nice gear at relatively reasonable prices. I think cables do make a difference but others disagree. It’s actually cheap entertainment as long as you don’t mind expending the funds in the first place.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #16,782 of 22,545
Viva Egoista 845 vs Riviera AIC-10 headphone amplifiers

Thanks to a fellow head-fier, who brought his Riviera AIC-10 to my house, I was able to compare it to Viva Egoista 845 and I must say that I am impressed. I will go into more detail once I acquire my own, BUT I can already say, that AIC-10 is what I was looking for in an amp pairing, hence I made a contractual commitment to buy one.

756E4396-87FE-4113-B2FF-28D21A9D23C1.JPG

dCS Bartók and Viva Egoista 845

Bartok has very detailed, transparent and neutral SS amplifier, capable of driving AB-1266 with more authority, than as twice as powerful Hugo TT 2 (out of its rear XLRs). Adding Viva to it, makes it more technically impressive - bass tightens up and is more controlled/articulate/layered, the resolution and detail retrieval improves further, and soundstage becomes more holographic as well. I would call these improvements (for AB-1266) anywhere between 10-20% over what I get direct out of Bartok. Worth the 12'500 EUR price? Well, no, not really. However, if your DAC does not have a capable headphone out (Bartok certainly does), I would definitely recommend Viva to you, as it is the most transparent headphone amplifier I have heard. If you are curious how it changes Susvara, which needs more power than 1266, then guess - it does exactly what it did to 1266, it improves its technicalities, and that's it. If you are happy with the way your headphones sound already, you just want to take it a level or two higher, for sure get Viva!

What I am trying to achieve

Some of you may know what sound signature I am after (if you read my other impressions in my signature), and that I like Valkyria for its meaty mids, which gives me a wonderful experience with pianos and strings. BUT the best mids I have ever heard were Sennheiser HE-1, those were to die for, especially because they were presented in such an intimate way. Because of this, I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a second pair of headphones. I tried Focal Utopia, Hifiman Susvara and Spirit Torino Valkyria, but for EDM, I was always coming back to AB-1266. How can I achieve HE-1's mids with 1266? Is that even possible? I did not like Utopia's bass (not detailed/layered enough), I did not like Susvara's build quality and the stock cable (can be replaced of course), and with Valkyria, the design is over the top (and price is quite steep). What I am trying to say here, is that I always kept coming back to 1266, even if it was flawed in the mids. People told me about Superconductor cable, and I am definitely considering it.

Riviera AIC-10

BUT, I am happy to say, Riviera AIC-10 (to my ears) makes mids sound like they did on HE-1 (comparing from memory of course, so take this with a grain of salt). AIC-10 is not as transparent as Viva, and it does change the presentation. What impressed me with Riviera was how "meaty" the mids became, so so so different from stock 1266. If I could record them for you (just the mids), I don't think you would recognise them, nor attribute them to 1266. They keep the resolution 1266 is known for, but singer is no longer singing from a hallway, but in front of you in a small club, with very little reverb. This is exactly what I remember from HE-1, the intimacy of mids. As opposed to Viva, which made V/U shape just sound more prominent, Riviera changes that presentation to more neutral/natural way. I knew a presentation like this is possible by "just get a tube amp", but I was worried that a tube amp of this sort would loose its resolution and bass precision, well, Riviera does not sound as sharp as Viva, but it still is refined and well defined, but again, I come to the same conclusion - it is meatier.

Music pairing

If you ask me, Viva Egoista 845 and Riviera AIC-10 do sound different, and the pairing will depend on what you want to achieve (or fix in my case). If you like how your source chain sounds, and the headphones you own are perfect to you, meaning you don't want to change anything, definitely get Viva, it is much more transparent / not changing timbre/tonality type of amplifier - AND IT LOOKS gorgeous. Riviera on the other hands, fix what I have been trying to fix with 1266. Would I recommend the amplifier for other headphones? Hard to say, I did not have enough time to listen with Susvara, Utopia nor Valkyria. BUT for me, Riviera does what I wanted all the way - make 1266 a good headphone for Max Payne piano soundtrack, The Weeknd vocal heavy synth pop, and Linking Park indie rock. Will it replace Bartok for vocal less cold EDM? I don't think so, that one is more holographic and colder in presentation (in comparison).

Summary

I know many of you will fundamentally disagree here with me. I should get absolutely transparent source (dac+amp) and then a headphone, that presents it in a way that is again, transparent. But please note, that for me, I am after a certain sound signature, that plays well with music I listen to. For EDM, 1266 is the best headphone. For othet genres that are instrument / vocal focused, I found 1266 lacking. I tried to fix it with other headphones, but those I found lacking too. But now, with Riviera, I found a fix for my favourite headphone, that finally makes it sound like I can make it all with one headphone, no need for swapping (well, headphone swapping, I still need to swap amps, haha). If I could, I would keep both Viva Egoista 845 for EDM, and Riviera AIC-10 for the rest. But that's too much money for me, especially if Bartok is Viva minus 20%, I cannot justify keeping both. If I did not have Bartok with a good enough amplifier, I would definitely chose both. If I was buying other headphone, I would most likely chose more transparent Viva. But for 1266 owners, really, give Riviera a listen, it is that good.

Boring part
I put this last, as most of you already know it. Viva Egoista 845 is a huge 30kg monster, that functions as a space heater, as those 845 tubes are always on. Riviera AIC-10 on the other hand is a hybrid amplifier, that only weights 15kg and runs much cooler. Looks, Viva is something special, you can chose any automotive colour you want. Riviera comes in two colours, and even though my Bartok and Abyss are black, I prefer Riviera gold, it looks very classy in person, not as crazy as Viva. As for tube rolling, Viva does not recommend it, and claims it is better to trust their selection (they tube rolled in the factory). Riviera is of no opinion of sort and you are free to tube roll as much as you want and some people report great results, taking the amp directions needed for headphone pairings (more warmth, less warmth, stuff like that).

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #16,783 of 22,545
The TC lacks midrange. There is detail that is recessed. I’m definitely disappointed that it has to sacrifice midrange but the presentation of what it does play is amazing.

I do also want to echo this in terms of the TC still being extremely amazing, it's simply a small tradeoff and its only weakness. Every single headphone (at least that I have ever heard) has a weakness that cannot be fully corrected by an amp, cables, etc. Changing each of those components can improve the issue, but at the end of the day, the signature of the headphone is the signature of the headphone.

The TC's will never have the mids of the Susvara and the Susvara will never have the holographic wow factor of the TC. Instead of putting money into trying to make the TC more like the Susvara or vice versa, you're probably better off spending that on buying the other as a compliment lol. But that's just my $0.02 and we also all hear differently.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #16,784 of 22,545
picking out weaknesses regarding the Tc or susvara is like looking for weaknesses in a mercedes or BMW....the TC is pretty extraordinary but like everything not perfect...I await the perfect HP or the perfect anything

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #16,785 of 22,545
Viva Egoista 845 vs Riviera AIC-10 headphone amplifiers

Thanks to a fellow head-fier, who brought his Riviera AIC-10 to my house, I was able to compare it to Viva Egoista 845 and I must say that I am impressed. I will go into more detail once I acquire my own, BUT I can already say, that AIC-10 is what I was looking for in an amp pairing, hence I made a contractual commitment to buy one.

dCS Bartók and Viva Egoista 845

Bartok has very detailed, transparent and neutral SS amplifier, capable of driving AB-1266 with more authority, than as twice as powerful Hugo TT 2 (out of its rear XLRs). Adding Viva to it, makes it more technically impressive - bass tightens up and is more controlled/articulate/layered, the resolution and detail retrieval improves further, and soundstage becomes more holographic as well. I would call these improvements (for AB-1266) anywhere between 10-20% over what I get direct out of Bartok. Worth the 12'500 EUR price? Well, no, not really. However, if your DAC does not have a capable headphone out (Bartok certainly does), I would definitely recommend Viva to you, as it is the most transparent headphone amplifier I have heard. If you are curious how it changes Susvara, which needs more power than 1266, then guess - it does exactly what it did to 1266, it improves its technicalities, and that's it. If you are happy with the way your headphones sound already, you just want to take it a level or two higher, for sure get Viva!

What I am trying to achieve

Some of you may know what sound signature I am after (if you read my other impressions in my signature), and that I like Valkyria for its meaty mids, which gives me a wonderful experience with pianos and strings. BUT the best mids I have ever heard were Sennheiser HE-1, those were to die for, especially because they were presented in such an intimate way. Because of this, I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a second pair of headphones. I tried Focal Utopia, Hifiman Susvara and Spirit Torino Valkyria, but for EDM, I was always coming back to AB-1266. How can I achieve HE-1's mids with 1266? Is that even possible? I did not like Utopia's bass (not detailed/layered enough), I did not like Susvara's build quality and the stock cable (can be replaced of course), and with Valkyria, the design is over the top (and price is quite steep). What I am trying to say here, is that I always kept coming back to 1266, even if it was flawed in the mids. People told me about Superconductor cable, and I am definitely considering it.

Riviera AIC-10

BUT, I am happy to say, Riviera AIC-10 (to my ears) makes mids sound like they did on HE-1 (comparing from memory of course, so take this with a grain of salt). AIC-10 is not as transparent as Viva, and it does change the presentation. What impressed me with Riviera was how "meaty" the mids became, so so so different from stock 1266. If I could record them for you (just the mids), I don't think you would recognise them, nor attribute them to 1266. They keep the resolution 1266 is known for, but singer is no longer singing from a hallway, but in front of you in a small club, with very little reverb. This is exactly what I remember from HE-1, the intimacy of mids. As opposed to Viva, which made V/U shape just sound more prominent, Riviera changes that presentation to more neutral/natural way. I knew a presentation like this is possible by "just get a tube amp", but I was worried that a tube amp of this sort would loose its resolution and bass precision, well, Riviera does not sound as sharp as Viva, but it still is refined and well defined, but again, I come to the same conclusion - it is meatier.

Music pairing

If you ask me, Viva Egoista 845 and Riviera AIC-10 do sound different, and the pairing will depend on what you want to achieve (or fix in my case). If you like how your source chain sounds, and the headphones you own are perfect to you, meaning you don't want to change anything, definitely get Viva, it is much more transparent / not changing timbre/tonality type of amplifier - AND IT LOOKS gorgeous. Riviera on the other hands, fix what I have been trying to fix with 1266. Would I recommend the amplifier for other headphones? Hard to say, I did not have enough time to listen with Susvara, Utopia nor Valkyria. BUT for me, Riviera does what I wanted all the way - make 1266 a good headphone for Max Payne piano soundtrack, The Weeknd vocal heavy synth pop, and Linking Park indie rock. Will it replace Bartok for vocal less cold EDM? I don't think so, that one is more holographic and colder in presentation (in comparison).

Summary

I know many of you will fundamentally disagree here with me. I should get absolutely transparent source (dac+amp) and then a headphone, that presents it in a way that is again, transparent. But please note, that for me, I am after a certain sound signature, that plays well with music I listen to. For EDM, 1266 is the best headphone. For othet genres that are instrument / vocal focused, I found 1266 lacking. I tried to fix it with other headphones, but those I found lacking too. But now, with Riviera, I found a fix for my favourite headphone, that finally makes it sound like I can make it all with one headphone, no need for swapping (well, headphone swapping, I still need to swap amps, haha). If I could, I would keep both Viva Egoista 845 for EDM, and Riviera AIC-10 for the rest. But that's too much money for me, especially if Bartok is Viva minus 20%, I cannot justify keeping both. If I did not have Bartok with a good enough amplifier, I would definitely chose both. If I was buying other headphone, I would most likely chose more transparent Viva. But for 1266 owners, really, give Riviera a listen, it is that good.

Boring part
I put this last, as most of you already know it. Viva Egoista 845 is a huge 30kg monster, that functions as a space heater, as those 845 tubes are always on. Riviera AIC-10 on the other hand is a hybrid amplifier, that only weights 15kg and runs much cooler. Looks, Viva is something special, you can chose any automotive colour you want. Riviera comes in two colours, and even though my Bartok and Abyss are black, I prefer Riviera gold, it looks very classy in person, not as crazy as Viva. As for tube rolling, Viva does not recommend it, and claims it is better to trust their selection (they tube rolled in the factory). Riviera is of no opinion of sort and you are free to tube roll as much as you want and some people report great results, taking the amp directions needed for headphone pairings (more warmth, less warmth, stuff like that).
Did your wife get mad stealing tables for your amplifiers ,.Great write up and photo though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back