The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 6, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #20,191 of 22,483
Hmm. Gosh I'm really torn between going with the formula s or trying to find a good tube amp around the same price range. I've probably asked this a hundred times on here, but anyone have a good suggestion for a tube amp, or a warmer/smoother sounding amp for 4500$ used max?

It's hard to find much info on how the formula s sounds besides "really good with the 1266". Does it lean towards warm or cold?
I know that you have purchased the Luxman amp, can’t go wrong with that.
They have a house sound that they religiously tune across all their equipment.
Anyway, if you want some reading on the formula s there are some links on their website on why the designer has chosen the topology etc. It’s quite fascinating on why he believes single ended works better in his design then balanced.
As for the sound, I waited over 3 years twoing and frowing whether to upgrade from my previous tube amp to the formula s and Powerman. Previously used woo audio wa 6 se, audio gd master 7 I believe and finally had settled with monoprice liquid platinum for a long while but the formula s was something very different.
The inky black background is surreal. You don’t know what black background is until you’ve tried the formula s with the Powerman.
I kept asking myself why did I wait so long for this change, the reason is no one has the luxury or time to test with all the high end niche equipment and we have to mostly go by reviews.

Anyway have fun with the Luxman!
Do post some pictures of the setup when you get it.

May 6, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #20,192 of 22,483
I give another vote for the Woo WA5le. It sounded very good with the TC. All the power you will ever need.

May 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #20,193 of 22,483
XDqV1gz.jpg

The new o-rings help with the clamping force, though now the frame touches the top of my head. Anyone have a pad recommendation? I was considering the ZMF offerings.

May 8, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #20,194 of 22,483
XDqV1gz.jpg

The new o-rings help with the clamping force, though now the frame touches the top of my head. Anyone have a pad recommendation? I was considering the ZMF offerings.
do what i did with a lift some posts back. and to keep it in looks I used o-ring to hold the pad. I used a headphone pad for a thin head band forget had nothing to do
1652016077056.png

Geekria Hook and Loop Headband Cover + Headband Pad Set/Headband Protector with Zipper/DIY Installation No Tool Needed, Compatible with Bose B JBL ATH Hyperx Skullcandy Headphones (Black)​

did quick Amazon search and this is mine but mine is not leather

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #20,195 of 22,483
Interested by the recent amp recommendations for the TC. What would be some contenders for top of the line, no budget cap, but only for use with headphones (appropriately powered for headphones without opening Pandora's box of speaker amp recommendations)?

Based on a lot of the posts, the Woo Audio WA33 might be the "best"

May 8, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #20,196 of 22,483
Interested by the recent amp recommendations for the TC. What would be some contenders for top of the line, no budget cap, but only for use with headphones (appropriately powered for headphones without opening Pandora's box of speaker amp recommendations)?

I have not heard it but the JPS version of WA33 seems to tick all boxes. Formula S with Powerman would be another choice at almost 1/3rd price.

May 8, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #20,197 of 22,483
There’s a used black WA33 on UpscaleAudio for $5999.00.

May 8, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #20,198 of 22,483

WA5 LE is my favorite of the 3 top amps. WA234 is best but requires too much love in setup than the other ones. Though you get to hear if 300 or 2A3 is your cup of tea. The dip in the mids is basically fixed with Woo amps now wonky mids I’ve yet to hear with any of my Woo amps. Rolling so many tubes and am now a roller. So Woo + Abyss = happy marriage.

May 9, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #20,201 of 22,483
Hey guys, I notice some of you have speaker amps and prefer them over headphone amps or even say less expensive speaker amps outperform higher cost headphone amps.

Got any great speaker amps in the 3,000 to 4,000 range for the TC? Was personally looking at the Benchmark AHB2.

I have the Soloist 3X GT which has a sub out. Should I get a speaker amp or just throw a subwoofer in the chain with the TC?

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #20,202 of 22,483
May 9, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #20,203 of 22,483
May 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #20,204 of 22,483
The price seems in line with current OG prices. The different cable is the only thing that caught my eye. But it could have been reterminated. A good picture of the driver would be nice.

May 9, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #20,205 of 22,483
I think that @Ruddy1 is exactly right that those are fakes. About 6 months-a year ago fakes started showing up coming out of east asia. That fact that a few of those fakes may now be showing up on audiogon and audiomart etc...makes sense. The owner may not even know it is fake (if I am indeed right.)

That particular pair gives me the heeby jeebies because I have a distant memory of that style of cable being what came with the fakes that were listed on earphonediylabs website back in 2021. Those have since disappeared, and the posts in this thread have also disappeared, I guess because it was about fake headphones. I tried using waybackmachine to get photos of the fakes so I could prove those are fakes on Audiogon, but came up with nothing.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'll try to make the case for those possibly being fake.

I would caution getting the serial number, and checking with abyss directly with photos prior to buying any original model 1266 in the current market.

On the original 1266, the baffle of the driver was a shiny paint finish, not matte-ish like the audiogon pair. The pads also look different (though I suppose they could be aftermarket.) Also the baffle looks a bit thicker on the audiogon pair, from what I can tell from the photos.

In the photo below from audiogon, you can see the baffles finish is a bit more matte than the original 1266.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 10.43.36 AM.png

Here are two photos of an original baffle, taken by me.

GZMm7yd.jpg

Hb0YHXi.jpg

In terms of the pads shape, they do look different. Admittedly, pads can deform or be bought/homemade aftermarket.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 10.51.28 AM.png

Below is a photo of an original 1266 pad, taken by me.

7yTtR81.jpg

Overall, I'm disappointed I can't find the photos/listing from earphonediylabs because that would prove my suspicion of the audiogon pair being fakes.

Alternatively, I hope abyss chimes in, because obviously they would know best :) : )

Users who are viewing this thread

• Yggy
Back