The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #21,151 of 22,482
Really interested in your take on the Genus.
I had the Pathos Inpol Ear, the Trafomatic Head 2, Enleum 23R among others and the Genus is above them. It really has a wonderful big stage, energy, drive, speed but still fluid, organic. Despite it being a speaker amp too it is complety noisless with the Abyss (and has a really small noise with my VO). It really loves if it has a half on hour warm-up time and gets better and better as its warming through. I had fallen some 3-4 hours session because of this.

Con is, that I am not able to move my headphone system alone.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #21,153 of 22,482
After getting a pair of the Ultrasuede pads for the Diana and loving the shift in timbre, I’m really curious what a suede pad option for the 1266 might sound like. @Abyss Headphones any chance that this might be possible?
IIRC they did suede and it was mush. I'd definitely entertain a more plush comfort and sound for fun.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #21,155 of 22,482
Was this recent?
I'm not too certain.
I believe they've discussed this in their video series wherein the suede didn't have positive sonic attributes.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #21,156 of 22,482
After getting a pair of the Ultrasuede pads for the Diana and loving the shift in timbre, I’m really curious what a suede pad option for the 1266 might sound like. @Abyss Headphones any chance that this might be possible?
I use ZMF Universe perforated suede pads on mine. A hair less bass but lighter and much more comfortable for me. 4 little piece of double stick tape for each pad. A little janky but it works.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #21,157 of 22,482
I remember @Beolab ordered a pair of Alcantara pads for his 1266 as a custom order from abyss. This is in 2016, prior to the pad's being made in house, and also pre CC/TC pad change. No idea what they cost or if its possible these days. Best idea would be to shoot Abyss an email I guess.

Original post below

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ressions-thread.666765/page-324#post-12942647

9270355.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #21,158 of 22,482
We'll take a closer look at ear pad options for AB1266 at some point in the future.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Feb 15, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #21,159 of 22,482
We'll take a closer look at ear pad options for AB1266 at some point in the future.
Ensure you offer custom colors, I'd like hot violet suede options please.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #21,161 of 22,482
I can report Neurochrome Modulus-86 speaker amp drives Abyss 1266 Phi TC tremendously well, especially for electronica/EDM/Metal with extreme precision, impact, and clarity.0216232221_HDR.jpg
(never mind the metal twist tie subbing for broken O-ring).
Good to know.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #21,162 of 22,482
If anyone is looking to unload a 4 pin xlr upgrade cable for the TC lmk. I’ve owned the superconductor and may be willing to get their back, but I’m intrigued to try something new (prion 4, etc). Also have a moon audio silver dragon I would trade plus cash.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #21,163 of 22,482
Some intriguing atmospheric music, with deep bass beats. It really matches the AB-1266 strengths in such an entertaining fashion :L3000:

cece54fe718847b9b343df83dbb996f3.jpg

And here is a spookily holographic percussions recording, with subtle details at both ends of the frequency spectrum. Again, a dramatic showcase of some of the 1266 most wowing attributes.

small-labyrinths1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #21,164 of 22,482
Spent some time with Mitch Barnett filters. I was always against EQing headphones, but after trying these filters I must admit that not all DSP is bad. I still don’t like how Roon DSP engine sounds, but applied in HQPlayer it is nothing but great.

Mitch’s filter set is really something. All three filters were interesting to try. Neutral is frighteningly realistic but for me somewhat boring to listen to. Neutral + bass is fun, but too dark to my taste. Third one with bass and treble extensions is my favorite. It preserves all the fun of Ab1266 original tonal balance, but corrects all the issues in midrange.

P.S. IMO it’s not only much cheaper, but also better alternative to SC cable.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #21,165 of 22,482
Spent some time with Mitch Barnett filters. I was always against EQing headphones, but after trying these filters I must admit that not all DSP is bad. I still don’t like how Roon DSP engine sounds, but applied in HQPlayer it is nothing but great.

Mitch’s filter set is really something. All three filters were interesting to try. Neutral is frighteningly realistic but for me somewhat boring to listen to. Neutral + bass is fun, but too dark to my taste. Third one with bass and treble extensions is my favorite. It preserves all the fun of Ab1266 original tonal balance, but corrects all the issues in midrange.

P.S. IMO it’s not only much cheaper, but also better alternative to SC cable.
There is some odd ball within me to avoid using filters despite many raving about them.

You know how you see some older people who are afraid of certain "changes" because they are stuck in their old ways?

I can't believe it but this is me regarding filters/EQ/etc.

Maybe one day I will see the light, for now... quite happy with my listening session so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back