The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #21,616 of 22,483
They're expected to start shipping Fall 2023. I'm tempted to make a deposit as well, upgrading my Burson Soloist has been recently on my mind. 15W into 50ohm sounds beautiful.
The Burson is the amp I am looking at acquiring once I get the 1266.

How is the synergy and performance with the 1266? Have you listened to other amps to compare?

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #21,617 of 22,483
What is the difference between Diana TC and 1266 phi tc? (Who has heard both and has a stable, honest opinion about them)

The manufacturer says it is the same speaker structure, but then who would buy the much larger, more uncomfortable and heavier 1266 model?

They're from the same family but they do sound different. I recommend going to a show to listen to them yourself. It's worth the effort to better understand your tastes.

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #21,618 of 22,483
How is the synergy and performance with the 1266? Have you listened to other amps to compare?
I really enjoy it. The Soloist is neutral and really transparent to my ears, even on low-gain (75-99) it still kicks like a horse. Really versatile amp if you have a collection of over-ears. The vertical stand also makes it easy to store on a rack. I'd also recommend changing the opamps if you decide to purchase one. The SIL994's and Sparkos 2590's make a substantial difference.

Jul 11, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #21,619 of 22,483
What is the difference between Diana TC and 1266 phi tc? (Who has heard both and has a stable, honest opinion about them)

The manufacturer says it is the same speaker structure, but then who would buy the much larger, more uncomfortable and heavier 1266 model?
I've owned both. The Diana is a smaller presentation. It does mico detail really well and w/ ported pads, provides impressive dynamics for a 63mm driver. The midrange to my ears sounded more present and pleasing on the Diana, highs were laser focused and brimming with sparkle and detail. Fitment is obviously easier on the Diana and finding the right adjustment for your head takes minimal effort compared to it's big brother.

However, that's all it does better compared to the 1266 Phi TC. The 1266 has more body and dynamics, bass is full and hits you viscerally. Instrument separation is unparalleled, and soundstage is expansive. It's honestly a more fun headphone in my opinion. What makes you smile on Diana will make you laugh in disbelief on the 1266.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #21,620 of 22,483
I've really been enjoying the Phi TC since getting them 3 years ago. Incredible sound.

However, the rubber o-ring recently broke on the head strap. Abyss tells me I have to buy a replacement for $300. This really rubs me the wrong way. The design is a bit cheesy, to be honest. The rubber is guaranteed to fail over time and it's stitched into the head strap. They tell me this is a "wear item," but I'd say it's more like a cheesy, deficient design. I guess the new design solves that issue, but it's ridiculous to charge $300 for a leather pad when I've already paid $8,000 for the deluxe headphone set.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #21,621 of 22,483
I've really been enjoying the Phi TC since getting them 3 years ago. Incredible sound.

However, the rubber o-ring recently broke on the head strap. Abyss tells me I have to buy a replacement for $300. This really rubs me the wrong way. The design is a bit cheesy, to be honest. The rubber is guaranteed to fail over time and it's stitched into the head strap. They tell me this is a "wear item," but I'd say it's more like a cheesy, deficient design. I guess the new design solves that issue, but it's ridiculous to charge $300 for a leather pad when I've already paid $8,000 for the deluxe headphone set.

You can get a replacement o-ring at any hardware store. They're not stitched into the head strap, they're very easy to swap!

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #21,623 of 22,483

You will want to listen to either and decide yourself. 1266 is just the bigger encompassed sound.

Diana TC should have been priced lower although it meets performance spec, to be fair.

You should just grab the RAAL CA-1a which is quite something comparable to any headphone and offers an unmatched value proposition.

Pair the 1266 with DHT love, slaved to big solid-state, you have a compelling package with the most balanced sound out of all that I've heard.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #21,624 of 22,483
Hmmm. How do you install the new o-ring? The old design is stitched in. I don’t see a way to install without removing the stitching.

Does yours not have 2 screws on each side?

ab1266_headband.jpg

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #21,625 of 22,483
Does yours not have 2 screws on each side?

ab1266_headband.jpg
No, that is the new design, which I have to buy for $300 if I want to keep my headphones working. The old design, as I say, the o-rings are permanently stitched into the headband. I may undo the stitches and sew in a new o-ring. Abyss doesn't want to give me a break on their $300 gouge for a new headband.

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #21,626 of 22,483
You will want to listen to either and decide yourself. 1266 is just the bigger encompassed sound.

Diana TC should have been priced lower although it meets performance spec, to be fair.

You should just grab the RAAL CA-1a which is quite something comparable to any headphone and offers an unmatched value proposition.

Pair the 1266 with DHT love, slaved to big solid-state, you have a compelling package with the most balanced sound out of all that I've heard.
I concur 100%....a combination of the CA-1a and the 1266 cant be beat although to be fair I am listening to my CA-1a with the VM-1a....

Jul 11, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #21,627 of 22,483

The tc is more like speaker sound and more resolution. The diana is easier to drive but less resolution, less bass, and easier to drive (requiring gear that is less picky)

My mint TC with SC cable is listed in classifieds at a great price. 1st owner, whether you get TC or Diana, SC cable as many have mentioned is a "must"

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #21,628 of 22,483
No, they mention not having determined the price. I'm guessing $5k, but that's just a guess
one of my friends went to canjam chicago and headamp told them its gonna be $4K

Jul 11, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #21,629 of 22,483
one of my friends went to canjam chicago and headamp told them its gonna be $4K
Nice! It looks like a different design than the standard one private builders are making. I wonder if there is a sound quality impact. $4k is nice though. I think the privately commissioned ones cost around that too. Hopefully Headamp isn't cutting corners though to make it more affordable and profitable.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #21,630 of 22,483
The tc is more like speaker sound and more resolution. The diana is easier to drive but less resolution, less bass, and easier to drive (requiring gear that is less picky)

My mint TC with SC cable is listed in classifieds at a great price. 1st owner, whether you get TC or Diana, SC cable as many have mentioned is a "must"
I agree the TC is a bigger sound and more speaker like and yes it has greater bass presence but I do not think the resolution is dramatically different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back