The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #22,036 of 22,482
Yeah, the form of all Diana's is something i can't wrap my head around (or vice versa, lol).
I may suffer from "big head syndrom", but i never had the feeling that any of those models fit me particularly well or that the pads sealed as they (probably) should.
No matter how i rotated the pads, i think there was always a gap below my ears. I didn't try it for more than a few minutes though, only heard them at a show.
I too suffer from big head syndrome :beyersmile:

It means we have bigger brains, right? :beyersmile:

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #22,037 of 22,482
?😉
IMG_2334.jpeg

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #22,038 of 22,482
The 1266 TC is miles better than the Diana in my opinion 🤷‍♂️

The loose fitting may have something to do with it, but the Diana did not impress me at all. I also did not like the Diana closed I heard at Can Jam. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️
we disagree here I think the diana TC with the ported pads is fantastic ..I can understand why you however might not like it as much given your taste in music relative to mine....the diana tc is more intimate but damn I think it is outstanding

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #22,039 of 22,482
Found a classified locally for an XIAUDIO Formula S.
Selling it for $2300. This is a good deal and should jump all over it, right? RIGHT??
Is it worth condemning my TT2 to DAC-only duty? Results from old posts suggest not to bother doing this?

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #22,040 of 22,482
I'm currently reading through this entire thread. Yes, I know. From start to finish.

Lethargy set in around early 2020 era and skipped ahead to 2021-ish Diana TC launch period where more relevant-to-me issues were being raised. Also, I'm waiting on 1266 TC arriving, and so much was about the Phi CC still.

Now up to page 1249. This is the North Face of the Eiger as far as thread-reading goes. But dammit I'm going to get there!

My progress so far has gone like this...
p1 So, having searched ahead, the Hugo TT2 and MScaler is definitely good enough to drive 1266
p500 Hmm, the Dave and MScaler seems to be really nice.
p1000 Stops reading to browse current prices for Dave. But I'd need an amp to drive it...
p1266 Hahahaha...
p1300 Yeah, think I'm going to get a Formula S
p1301 Yeah, think I'll get a Powerman too
Current page *shakes head* Just bought the most expensive headphones in the world almost? So expensive, I'm literally scared to tell my wife and will genuinely have to HIDE them from her as I showed her the Youtube video a few months ago of people trying it, and I told her how expensive they are.
And now I've just lined up a £6500 Dave, and another £3.5k on F/P.

Thanks, I guess??

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #22,041 of 22,482
I'm currently reading through this entire thread. Yes, I know. From start to finish.

Lethargy set in around early 2020 era and skipped ahead to 2021-ish Diana TC launch period where more relevant-to-me issues were being raised. Also, I'm waiting on 1266 TC arriving, and so much was about the Phi CC still.

Now up to page 1249. This is the North Face of the Eiger as far as thread-reading goes. But dammit I'm going to get there!

p1 So, having searched ahead, the Hugo TT2 and MScaler is definitely good enough to drive 1266
p1000 Stops reading to browse current prices for Dave. But I'd need an amp to drive it...
p1266 Hahahaha...
Current page *shakes head* Just bought the most expensive headphones in the world almost? So expensive, I'm literally scared to tell my wife and will genuinely have to HIDE them from her as I showed her the Youtube video a few months ago of people trying it, and I told her how expensive they are.

Thanks, I guess??
they're gonna come across all my dumb messages 😭

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #22,042 of 22,482

p1266 Hahahaha...

Thanks, I guess??
This is very funny. Excellent. The money isn’t a problem, it’s just her turn to spend that much!

A separate amp will give you a different flavour - maybe more body and dynamics as a trade off for ultimate transparency and detail - but then you’ve hit two setups when you need a change? DAVE is pretty great, especially if you’ve already got the HMS, but it’s not a case of it being a better TT2 - it doesn’t have the low end weight/warmth of the TT2. But whether or not that’s what you want is a different question.

What will the Mrs buy, do you reckon?

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #22,043 of 22,482

p1266 Hahahaha...

Thanks, I guess??
Wait till you get into tubes ... 🤭

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #22,045 of 22,482
I had been running with the stock AB1266 Phi TC headphone cable since I bought the headphones new from Abyss about 3 months ago. Recently, I had my Norne Vykari Reference headphone cables re-terminated by Norne (thanks, Trevor) for the 1266 and swapped them in.

Edit: Vykari is a hybrid, silver/copper cable: 17.3awg we have a large 18.9awg as silver occ litz per polarity, with the remaining as 22awg copper occ litz.

My findings, Vykari as compared to the stock cable, with Vykari:

1. Mids are pushed more forward in the mix, more prominent.. With the stock cable, the mids are comparatively more recessed or set back in the mix.
2. Undeniable improvement in the depth of the soundstage and layering aspects, holography.
3. Improved detail and recording room or venue info retrieval. The tiniest, microscopic details are more noticeable. Importantly, the improved detail is presented in a natural/realistic manner. There is a shimmering/lit from within quality, and not fatiguing or bright at all. The stock cable leans a bit hot/hard, less realistic.
4. Much improved tonal characteristics.. overall instruments sound quite a bit more like the real thing.
5. Fuller, more visceral, smoother analog type sound. It is hard to pull off "smooth and natural/realistic warmth" plus "hyper detailed and revealing" as a sonic combo, but here we have both!
6. Overall, a more immersive experience and the instruments and vocals just have a higher degree of presence, realism.

a very worthwhile improvement, and I was already happy with the 1266 with the stock cable.

Vyk-2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #22,046 of 22,482
There are a few amps that are end game for TC. I'm currently loving the Riveria AIC-10 with G73R tube and Aluminata PC. This amp Needs clean unobstructed power to be at it's best, would love to see how a power regen would add to it. but of course already better than most with stock cable. Others in the end game arena you have WA33 Elite JPS version. Now new to the game is Mass Kobo 465 which seems to be the best of the best (SS,but so analog in sound), IF you can even get one. All of these will set you back the cost of a small car.

Other mentions that could be well within the tops above, maybe even better or just close. This high end game is difficult to get them all together to really tell. Especially since new new gear comes up from time to time.

CFA3 With a good tube preamp (apparently that wa33 jps elite works best here, doubling the cost). This amp can be a diy or bought from some excellent builders (very well worth it). I'd love a comparison to the other amps here. There's also the Egoista 845, or Solista 845 if you can use a pre. So many other choices, but what the TC needs is lots of current capacity. Instantaneously current changes as these top amps above can do. This is what makes the fast response possible. Most impactful bass

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #22,047 of 22,482
I`m currently using SparkoS Aries (stock opamps for now), while probably not end game for 1266, it sounds very good and is cheaper than the amps mentioned in the post above (new price maybe around the price of CFA3?) and delivers 2.8 w @ 32 ohm. My current chain is Auralic Aries - Denafrips Iris - Yggy OG - Aries, everything connected to Isotek Solus with Nordost power and interconnect cables. The detail, stage and bass is complete bonkers and I`m set with this, at least for the foreseeable future.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #22,048 of 22,482
There are a few amps that are end game for TC. I'm currently loving the Riveria AIC-10 with G73R tube and Aluminata PC. This amp Needs clean unobstructed power to be at it's best, would love to see how a power regen would add to it. but of course already better than most with stock cable. Others in the end game arena you have WA33 Elite JPS version. Now new to the game is Mass Kobo 465 which seems to be the best of the best (SS,but so analog in sound), IF you can even get one. All of these will set you back the cost of a small car.

Other mentions that could be well within the tops above, maybe even better or just close. This high end game is difficult to get them all together to really tell. Especially since new new gear comes up from time to time.

CFA3 With a good tube preamp (apparently that wa33 jps elite works best here, doubling the cost). This amp can be a diy or bought from some excellent builders (very well worth it). I'd love a comparison to the other amps here. There's also the Egoista 845, or Solista 845 if you can use a pre. So many other choices, but what the TC needs is lots of current capacity. Instantaneously current changes as these top amps above can do. This is what makes the fast response possible. Most impactful bass
I tried the WA33 EE JPS (2A3) and the 3ES Elite (300B) as pre to my CFA3. The WA33 gives a more 3D sound, while the 3ES gives more bass and extends a little lower. I actually prefer the WA33 EE JPS straight for my TCs. The CFA3 gives maybe a little more bass, but it's negligible. I might even sell my CFA3 :thinking:

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #22,049 of 22,482
I'm gonna go on a drunk ramble, but the TCs have a little bit of a bass problem. They don't extend as low as other headphones. The mid-sub-bass is great, and sounds like a subwoofer, but the low-sub-bass is a bit rolled off. I was talking to a headphone friend who was telling me this in the past, but I didn't think he knew what he was talking about. Thing is, he was right. The loose fitting rolls off the lower sub-bass. I don't know if there is a fix. I think the tradeoff with the mid-sub-bass sounding like a subwoofer might be worth it though. I'm addicted to that sound. The CA-1a is close though with it's bass off the VM-1a. It's pretty damn close. It has become my 2nd favorite pair of headphones after the TCs. Apparently I'm overdriving the VM, but I like the bass sound, so f- it. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #22,050 of 22,482
I'm gonna go on a drunk ramble, but the TCs have a little bit of a bass problem. They don't extend as low as other headphones. The mid-sub-bass is great, and sounds like a subwoofer, but the low-sub-bass is a bit rolled off. I was talking to a headphone friend who was telling me this in the past, but I didn't think he knew what he was talking about. Thing is, he was right. The loose fitting rolls off the lower sub-bass. I don't know if there is a fix. I think the tradeoff with the mid-sub-bass sounding like a subwoofer might be worth it though. I'm addicted to that sound. The CA-1a is close though with it's bass off the VM-1a. It's pretty damn close. It has become my 2nd favorite pair of headphones after the TCs. Apparently I'm overdriving the VM, but I like the bass sound, so f- it. 🤷‍♂️ :pill:
I think you may drive yourself insane, but we do love listening to you as you do lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back