The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #616 of 731
then some Vesper pads for my 95X. I think the cooling gel will help in the summer.

I'm sorry, but could you expand on this some? It's seems like as if one almost just needs to contact Vesper and just ask what they can make. All the custom pads here from them certainly make me want something more to my liking.

I've just bought and have tried my Stax SRM-252s on my ESP/95x. Compared to the E90, its a waste of money in my opinion. It provides absolutely nothing that the E90 can't provide, other than putting out a ton of heat. Audible differences to my ears is nil.

That's good to know. Definitely been thinking about it but yes, the E90 again seems pretty good for what it is. Lot going on inside too, had to remove the rear cover to enlarge the RCA holes for my cables, there's a lot of stuff inside. The weight certainly I don't think speaks to it's quality like we're use to.

That is why I said it gets less credit than it deserves, although Im sure the MUCH more expensive energizers may have some difference. To me though not enough to warrant the price as currently it sounds fantastic. I wont disagree that it FEELS cheap, but function of it so far has been perfect *fingers crossed*.

Agreed!

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #617 of 731
I'm sorry, but could you expand on this some? It's seems like as if one almost just needs to contact Vesper and just ask what they can make. All the custom pads here from them certainly make me want something more to my liking.

Agreed!
When you email Vesper they give you a whole ton of customisation options. The cooling gel goes between the memory foam and the alcantara (or whatever material you might prefer). Allegedly it cools your ears down so would be good for Australia summer.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #618 of 731
When you email Vesper they give you a whole ton of customisation options. The cooling gel goes between the memory foam and the alcantara (or whatever material you might prefer). Allegedly it cools your ears down so would be good for Australia summer.

That's awesome! I will be sure to shoot them an email now and see what all I can get. Had no idea they did this, thanks for the heads up!

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #619 of 731
That looks like a good match. I see that the same manufacturer has a slightly larger version with 3A maximum output, also available on Amazon. I wonder if the larger one would be a better bet, since it would be operating further from its maximum capacity and might also therefore run cooler.

@Feyded1020 : No audible hum with that adapter?
I went with 3A https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015H0UPWU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 no issues. I also had 110 to 220 convertor, and used included 220v adapter for a week, no issues either.

edit: to be completely precise, 110V 3A adapter is plugged into isolation transformer. But, 220V was plugged directly into step up transformer and into power outlet (no isolation transformer). I doubt isolation transformer matters really, just something I had from past and all my audio stuff is plugged into it.

I am pretty surprised by ESP95x, I am quite enjoying them! my favorite feature is how light they are, and yes, light on bass but I haven't heard mids/highs like that anywhere else. Very detailed, great soundstage.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #620 of 731
I haven't used my 95Xs for quite a long time and forgot just how good they sound. As far as detail and transparency goes they're just as good as if not a little better than Ananda. Also if I go up about 4 or 5 dB on the bass with my Loki that really helps put some punch and depth back in the lows. I feel like these compete with headphones in SQ that cost twice as much but build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #621 of 731
Earpad mod for Koss/Massdrop ESP95X. This only works with the Massdrop Velour pads and is 100% reversible to stock in seconds. $5 mod.

There are many earpads made for the Koss. They all affect the sound in different ways. Some of the custom pads are quite expensive, and there's no way of listening before purchase. I wanted to experiment without investing a fortune and wanted to tune the pads to my tastes.

First, I thought about stats and pads. A better seal increases bass response, up to a point. Totally sealing the earcups can reduces bass, dynamics, and soundstage. Bass is probably reduced because there is too much pressure build up inside the cup and the ultra light weight, low power electrostatic panel can't overcome it. Most electrostaic speakers and headphones aren't closed back or in a box. So, first design point is to allow some leakage.

Second, closed back earphones almost always sound closed in compared to open air phones. The close proximity of the pads may cause reflections that muddy staging cues. Earpad reflections need to be controlled.

Third, the pads need to be tuneable and easily returnable to stock. The exact amount of seal and reflection should be adjustable to suit owner's tastes.

THE MOD

Mod uses 5/8" velcro (the part with hooks). Buy the NON STICKY sew on type ( Do not sew). It naturally clings to the velour pads and stays where it is placed. I used 1 10" piece for each earcup. After months of listening I decided to add another 1.5" to each ear cup. You may decide upon a different length. Velcro allows this to be adjusted instantly. Notice that 11.5" is too short to surround the whole earcup. This allows some air leakage for more dynamic bass. Make sure to locate the Velcro right up against where the pads attach to the earcups.

11.5" won't encircle the complete earcup. It makes a difference where the open gap is placed. I placed the reflection prone velcro behind the ear and left the front open. There aren't any high frequency reflections in front of the ears to reduce sound staging cues. Set up properly, the modded phones sound open like the stock Koss. The 1.5" additional Velcro wraps around the bottom front of the pads. This positioning proved quite important to bass quanity and impact. See photo (I hope it works) to show placement of velcro.

I use a PonoPlayer or sometimes Ayre Codex into the Koss energizer with stock power suppy and an ADC Sound Shaper analog EQ. Without changing EQ settings, the sound has more impact and dynamics in the bass with as good if not better sound staging. The Velcro's width is slightly less than the earpad so it won't touch your face. This mod also fixes one small gripe I have with the Koss. It allows correct L & R channel identification by feel, even in the dark. Velcro gap faces front. Hope some of you will try this mod and do a little experimentation. Would love to hear your thoughts. IMGP6285koss95XheadphonepadmodWEB.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #622 of 731
I received my 95X from Drop today, and first impressions are that it's pretty good! I think with everything stock, the tuning is kind of on the safe side, but I absolutely love the detail retrieval, sweet upper mids and the speed of the drivers when it comes to decay. Very snappy!

I looked up Oratory1990's EQ settings for getting the FR to align more with the Harman target, and it's now even more to my liking. I think this might just be a great compliment to my upper mid-fi stable, in particular paired with my LCD-2f and Focal Elex, all of which are good representations of their respective transducer technologies.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #625 of 731
I'm using the SE outputs on my SMSL SU-8. It's rather convenient that I can have the SE connected to the energizer, and the balanced outputs still connected to my THX 789.

Nice! Yea happy to hear your enjoying it and that does sound like an excellent set up! I like that your able to pick up on the "safe" but still snappy presentation!

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #626 of 731
I received my 95X from Drop today, and first impressions are that it's pretty good! I think with everything stock, the tuning is kind of on the safe side, but I absolutely love the detail retrieval, sweet upper mids and the speed of the drivers when it comes to decay. Very snappy!

I looked up Oratory1990's EQ settings for getting the FR to align more with the Harman target, and it's now even more to my liking. I think this might just be a great compliment to my upper mid-fi stable, in particular paired with my LCD-2f and Focal Elex, all of which are good representations of their respective transducer technologies.

What music are you enjoying with the 95X or rather what kind of music do you enjoy in general?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #627 of 731
What music are you enjoying with the 95X or rather what kind of music do you enjoy in general?
Currently with the 95X in particular, I'm listening to some of the audiophile canon. Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Pat Metheny various smooth jazz, my usual test stuff from the Chesky label, soft piano and acoustic guitar playlists etc. I threw in some of the metal that I deemed "well recorded", just to see if these could un-jumble the mess of sounds that tend to make most metal hard to listen to on my other setups. I get that it might seem like stacking the deck to only do the initial testing with songs you know could sound acceptable on a toaster, but I assume most who go out of their way to buy electrostatic headphones have a good idea that listening to their favorite lo-fi playlist on them won't make for the best experience.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #628 of 731
Currently with the 95X in particular, I'm listening to some of the audiophile canon. Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Pat Metheny various smooth jazz, my usual test stuff from the Chesky label, soft piano and acoustic guitar playlists etc. I threw in some of the metal that I deemed "well recorded", just to see if these could un-jumble the mess of sounds that tend to make most metal hard to listen to on my other setups. I get that it might seem like stacking the deck to only do the initial testing with songs you know could sound acceptable on a toaster, but I assume most who go out of their way to buy electrostatic headphones have a good idea that listening to their favorite lo-fi playlist on them won't make for the best experience.

Oh so tell me more about your experience with "deemed well recorded" Metal, I actually went back thru Sabbath's first album today with my 95X with an E30 as source. An I dug it

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #629 of 731
Oh so tell me more about your experience with "deemed well recorded" Metal, I actually went back thru Sabbath's first album today with my 95X with an E30 as source. An I dug it
I mostly meant I listened to Dio, early-ish Metallica, some of the albums on Nightwish. I'm sure Sabbath sounds great. I mostly was thinking more in lines of black and death metal as being not well recorded. Some bands have certainly made strides in those genres, but I can sometimes feel disoriented by the wall of sound that can be heard in bands like Amon Amarth when it comes to their pre- With Oden On Our Side work.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #630 of 731
I mostly meant I listened to Dio, early-ish Metallica, some of the albums on Nightwish. I'm sure Sabbath sounds great. I mostly was thinking more in lines of black and death metal as being not well recorded. Some bands have certainly made strides in those genres, but I can sometimes feel disoriented by the wall of sound that can be heard in bands like Amon Amarth when it comes to their pre- With Oden On Our Side work.

Yea I get that regarding Amon Amarth, and yea I've got some At the Gates I like as well that can be kinda wall of sound ish. Others from them tho [even older stuff!] Are really nice!

An yea I've got some Early Metallica I do enjoy, tho I've not crept too deep into some of the harder more harshly recorded black n death metal, tho how are you enjoying that content with your current headphone collection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back