The least offensive sounding IEMs.
May 30, 2020 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I just took my Etymotic ER3XRs out of their case after several months in the drawer. Upon listening to them for bit I’ve come to realize that these are probably the least offensive sounding IEMs that I own. No pressurizing bass, just enough kick in the mid bass, smooth mids, no sharp peaks, no bright treble, yet surprising low-level detail. These are great to wear for hours at a time, perhaps at work, with really good isolation too, even with comfortable single flange silicone tips.

The other relatively inoffensive IEMs that I have are the ER2XR, BL03, Tin T2, ThieAudio L3, and the Shure se846.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 36
Mine are the non fatiguing sets (ie tamed treble since i am treble sensitive).

Sets like BLON BL-03/Cardinal, TRI I3, Semkarch skc cnt1, toneking ninetails, Hisenior B5+, Audiosense DT200.

May 31, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 36
May 31, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 36
Yeah Garman Sharman can be shout-y. You're gonna hate Trumpets being blared at your face. Obnoxious!

Rant aside, I have 3 submissions:
LZ-A4 - oh sweet mother.
Cayin YB04.
Oriolus Mk2.

Details are there, unless you can't hear them!! 👹💀🙈🙉🙊👨‍⚖👨‍🎤

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 36
The K10U is non-offensive — No shouty mids, no shimmering treble, almost ignorable sibilance, bass that’s jailed to lower frequencies..

Crinacle has it right, IMOHO: “Very safe tuning, almost to the point of boredom. Does nothing wrong but nothing right either.”

Non-offensive isn’t always non-offensive.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 36
I'd say Moondrop Starlight.
IMR EDP can be that too once you find the right nozzle-filter combination.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 36
The K10U is non-offensive — No shouty mids, no shimmering treble, almost ignorable sibilance, bass that’s jailed to lower frequencies..

Crinacle has it right, IMOHO: “Very safe tuning, almost to the point of boredom. Does nothing wrong but nothing right either.”

Non-offensive isn’t always non-offensive.
I haven‘t heard it, but that kind of surprises me. The treble peak around 6-8KHz looks bright to me. I guess I need to try listening to them if they’re non-offensive.

Tin Hifi T2 just sound buttery smooth to me.
I like the T2, and also find it smooth and non-offensive, but there have been quite a few people who noted finding it bright.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 36
Sennheiser OCX 685i, my workout/beach IEMs. Most forgiving set of IEMs I own.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 36
I haven‘t heard it, but that kind of surprises me. The treble peak around 6-8KHz looks bright to me. I guess I need to try listening to them if they’re non-offensive.
Maybe “technical”? :S While there is a edge of sibilance (to the K10UA) at times, even in albums like Björk’s Homogenic the treble is always checked .. or rolled? Also almost no sparkle so they are collecting dust..

Also, a key bit I forgot: the K10U fitment and sound is HIGHLY dependent on tips. A Final Audio E-Type (balanced, tame highs) or original UE (dark) would be my two opposite recommendations. Sony Hybrid are insanely hot. The stock tips are horrid.

My mainstays are currently the TE-5B, and I can’t listen to some Björk songs with them - ouch, static! Maybe we have a different view of easy listening :D

The Ikko OH10 were probably my most treble shy IEMs and I wore them to bed a few times - lullabies. I’d say harder to “listen to” though, perhaps due to my brain trying to process songs differently..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back