The MASS-Kobo 394/394II and the 406 desktop full balanced headphone amp thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #16 of 66
thank you! It matches my list except ferrum and luxman which I didn’t know.

Which one in your opinion are superior to Pass Labs HPA1?

As a sound signature I like neutral and dynamic, not warm laidback.
I couldn’t auditioned any of these as there aren’t available in Scotland, so I rely a lot on reading reviews and comparison.

I think GSX/CFA3, HPA4, Ferrum, or Mass Kobo, Luxman p700, Audio Gd will all give a neutral sound. GSX/CFA and Ferrum being more dynamic if memories serves me right!

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 66
I couldn’t auditioned any of these as there aren’t available in Scotland, so I rely a lot on reading reviews and comparison.

I think GSX/CFA3, HPA4, Ferrum, or Mass Kobo, Luxman p700, Audio Gd will all give a neutral sound. GSX/CFA and Ferrum being more dynamic if memories serves me right!
I’m trying to use my Pass HPA1 with transformer cables from xlr to rca. I have been advised to use Lundahl cables.
Otherwise I’m keen on GSX mini as a safe choice or Ferrum combo for better quality but afraid too punchy!

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 66

Too little info about Mass Kobo to take the risk. I imagine it won’t so easy to resell if not my taste.
I’m trying to keep the dac because to get same level I would need to spend much more and get the Holo May.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 66
Too little info about Mass Kobo to take the risk. I imagine it won’t so easy to resell if not my taste.
I’m trying to keep the dac because to get same level I would need to spend much more and get the Holo May.
Very easy to resell. Mass Kobo are highly rated and highly respected. Rare that one hears anything negative about Mass Kobo.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 66
Very easy to resell. Mass Kobo are highly rated and highly respected. Rare that one hears anything negative about Mass Kobo.
You think it’s superior to Pass HPA1 as a neutral class A amp?

Mar 13, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 66
How would you rate the Ferrum combo compared to the Mass Kobo 433?

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #24 of 66
Well I am sorry to dig this thread up just because I am searching for my next desktop amplifier and considering two amps from Japan. First is Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 with untrusted winding resistance Attenator option (natural sound more neutral and suitable for classical music and this is my taste of music too) and second is Mass Kobo model 433 (Combining the sound quality that inherits the lineage of the higher model models 406 and 394 with the output circuit of the model 402 used by the Japanese broadcasting station NHK, it will deliver you a nice sound of course with a reduced cost and lack power to drive hardcore headphones as Suvasra, Abyss, ...). My two headphones are dynamics such as Sennheiser HD650 and Denon D9200, maybe a Final Audio D8000 pro if I am interested in near future. Both amplifiers have reputation and quality about driving these cans so I need some helps (if you guys would) to decide. This will be my last headphone amplifier for a long time and then in the future when I am better with economy I will move to a Stax headphone combo. Thanks for your supporting.

One more thing I know someone in Japan can help my buy Mass Kobo directly in the webpage so the model 433 is a little cheaper than Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 according to money in my case. However because Mass Kobo is made to order so I could wait for months to really touch it compare to Bakoon is about 1 month.
I can update this thread for anyone interested because I've now received Mass Kobo 433 along with 5210MK4.

Both 5210MK3 and Mass Kobo 433 offer a very dynamic performance, but I'd say 433 has a more muscular performance with a faster sense of transients. If you want energetic, lively, and exciting - Mass Kobo is the choice. It offers a more incisive and slightly sharper performance than 5210MK4 whereas the Bakoon has a more "natural/organic" presentation. The 433 also has considerable more output power than the Bakoon - it's a small amp but the sense of grunt and power is formidable.

The Mass Kobo is the better all-rounder because it seems to pair well with everything one throws at it. Bakoon has a special rapport with planars and also HD600/HD800s (it's really amazing how good the HD600 pairing is).

Both are truly fantastic amps.

1130420 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #25 of 66
Than you, Nostoi. You fullfill my wish before me. I am now saving money to buy a Ferrum Hysos for my Melco N100 and Matrix X-spidif 3 and I am still going to buy a Bakoon amp in the near future, hopefully this year.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #26 of 66
I can update this thread for anyone interested because I've now received Mass Kobo 433 along with 5210MK4.

Both 5210MK3 and Mass Kobo 433 offer a very dynamic performance, but I'd say 433 has a more muscular performance with a faster sense of transients. If you want energetic, lively, and exciting - Mass Kobo is the choice. It offers a more incisive and slightly sharper performance than 5210MK4 whereas the Bakoon has a more "natural/organic" presentation. The 433 also has considerable more output power than the Bakoon - it's a small amp but the sense of grunt and power is formidable.

The Mass Kobo is the better all-rounder because it seems to pair well with everything one throws at it. Bakoon has a special rapport with planars and also HD600/HD800s (it's really amazing how good the HD600 pairing is).

Both are truly fantastic amps.

1130420 (1).jpg
Hi there, i am looking to buy made in japan headphone amplifier, need to decide between 1) HDA-5210mk4 , 2)Mass kobo 433 , 3) Luxman P750u M2. pls advise which is the best, i like warm and lush sound signature….Thanks

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 66
Hi there, i am looking to buy made in japan headphone amplifier, need to decide between 1) HDA-5210mk4 , 2)Mass kobo 433 , 3) Luxman P750u M2. pls advise which is the best, i like warm and lush sound signature….Thanks
I had only heard and own Mass Kobo, I love it but it’s not warm. It’s transparent but not clinical and brings out the best of every headphone.

I owned Bakoon HPA-1 which is detail, musical with a hint of warmth, great for Planar.

From previous extended (reading) research, Luxman suite you more. I read that 700 is colder and 750 is warmer. But depend on where you are, you may have to buy voltage converter as some of them are 110V.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #28 of 66
I had only heard and own Mass Kobo, I love it but it’s not warm. It’s transparent but not clinical and brings out the best of every headphone.

I owned Bakoon HPA-1 which is detail, musical with a hint of warmth, great for Planar.

From previous extended (reading) research, Luxman suite you more. I read that 700 is colder and 750 is warmer. But depend on where you are, you may have to buy voltage converter as some of them are 110V.
Thanks, i will buy Luxman P750u M2 and a step down converter.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 66
Just received my 394ii. Just sublime sonics.

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back