The MMA thread (Affliction, UFC, DREAM, Strikeforce, etc.)
Nov 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #481 of 1,080
Yeah, I miss Pride, too much fighters turning into businessman these days in UFC, but that's where the future is. Bruce Buffer when is on fire is great, but that crazy lady in Pride and those epic entrances were killer every event!

About Pride, if the fighters are getting pay in cash (suitcase) then you know someting is iffy.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #482 of 1,080
Quote:
Yeah, I miss Pride, too much fighters turning into businessman these days in UFC, but that's where the future is. Bruce Buffer when is on fire is great, but that crazy lady in Pride and those epic entrances were killer every event!

About Pride, if the fighters are getting pay in cash (suitcase) then you know someting is iffy.

Oh there was a lot iffy stuff when it came to Pride, but some of it is actually kind of close to what Dana does.

Speaking of which, what a good card in china!

Zhang vs Tuck was a great fight imo. I agree with the decision that Tuck won it. He was a bit more aggressive and seemed to a half step ahead of Zhang at most times, even though Zhang really brought it to him and made it an exciting fight instead of cave in. All in all, I liked this fight.

Hougland vs Mizugaki, another one of those good fights on that card. Seemed more or less like a race whether or not Hougland would tap Mizugaki out or not. He didn't.

Thiago vs Kim, wow, what a domination. Damn. It looked like Thiago shouldn't even have been in there with Kim, and while that's completely wrong (Thiago is every bit of an elite fighter as anyone else in the UFC) it says lots and lots about how prepared and talented Kim really was there.

Silva vs Nedkov, blah, kinda boring fight tbh. Silva har pretty much only one thing going for him, and that is his mean mugging. Nedkov I hoped would've faired better, but it seems like he's not utilizing his wrestling enough. He should've GnP:ed Silva - not brawled.

Gomi vs Danzig was a great surprise. While Gomi didn't look like he used to in Pride, he did in fact look good this time. Great fight.

Cung vs Franklin, oh man, what a punch. 
blink.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #483 of 1,080
So, pretty interesting tonight:

Main Card

• Welterweight Georges St-Pierre (C) vs. Carlos Condit (IC)
  • Welterweight Martin Kampmann vs. Johny Hendricks
  • Middleweight Francis Carmont vs. Tom Lawlor
  • Lightweight Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos
  • Featherweight Mark Hominick vs. Pablo Garza
    Preliminary Card (FX)
  • Middleweight Patrick Côté vs. Alessio Sakara
  • Light Heavyweight Cyrille Diabaté vs. Chad Griggs
  • Lightweight Sam Stout vs. John Makdessi
  • Featherweight Antonio Carvalho vs. Rodrigo Damm
    Preliminary Card (Facebook)
  • Welterweight Matthew Riddle vs. John Maguire
  • Bantamweight Azamat Gashimov vs. Ivan Menjivar
  • Featherweight Steven Siler vs. Darren Elkins

Personally, I'll be cheering for: St Pierre, Kampmann, Lawlor, Côté, Diabaté, Stout and Riddle. Not at all sure about them winning, but I wish they do.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #484 of 1,080
No heavyweights at all, and no light heavyweights on the main card :frowning2:

It will still be good though!
:popcorn:

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #486 of 1,080
I got nothing against GSP, I like him actually, but I wouldn't mind seeing him lose.  Actually, what I really want to see is a completely EPIC battle, and I don't care if he wins or losses.  I want EPIC BATTLES!

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #487 of 1,080
I wouldn't mind seeing Conduit win, but I too want to see a superfight so go GSP!

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #488 of 1,080
Condit is a talented and respectful fighter. Two qualities I want from a champion. No problems here seeing Condit as a champ.

I really liked this event. I was especially impressed with Garza and Hendricks. GSP won, and I cheered for him, but it wasn't in any kind of spectacular way. It was GSP being GSP - gorilla strength with superb wrestling technique, a combination that is incredibly dominant against any fighter. Now, Garza really impressed me with his technique and the way he really dominated hominick on the ground, because Dominick is not a bad fighter at all. I'll be looking forward to seeing Garza again. Dos Anjos was also being pretty dominant in his fight against Bocek, but I don't know, I just didn't get as impressed with him as I got with Garza. Hendricks on the other hand, showed that his powerbomb is a force to be wreckoned with. Kampmann needs to learn how to tuck his chin in, because that chin of his isn't getting any better with the beating it takes with time, and he's about to face the same fate as Arlovski. As a result of this, I take it Sefo doesn't seem to worry too much about Martins chin, which to me seems a bit strange. Oh well.. a great card all in all, and I wasn't really bored with any fight on that card.

I guess Hendricks is next in line, and it'll be interesting to see what else he has going for him, because if he thinks he can rely on that powerbomb against one of the best defensive strategists in this sport, he's probably going about it the wrong way.

Last but not least, Lawlor cemented my theory of him being a "character" rather than a contender. Carmont will be exciting to watch in the future.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #489 of 1,080
It will be interesting to see what else Hendrix has in his bag of tricks. I haven't seen a punch drop a dude like that since Mark Hunt did it in UFC 144.

I think that Hendrix vs. GSP could be good but GSP has his date with destiny first...

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #490 of 1,080
Yeah, I'm hoping they'll fight some day soon. From my understanding though, it seems as it might not happen. Silva won't have a lot of years left, and GSP, being GSP, probably wants to bulk up a bit the right way. No fat, all muscle, without sacrificing cardio or speed - which in itself will take a long time to accomplish. GSP looked very strong by the way. He seems to have put on a lot of muscle compared to his younger days when he looked a bit smaller.

Also, after having watched the prelims, it was fun listening to Alessio Sakara trying to convince everyone that he's not crazy. LOL, yeah good luck with that legionnarus! :D

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #491 of 1,080
A decent card, I think. I was quite surprised by Garza. I did not think he can keep up and beat the guy who lasted 5 rounds against Aldo. He utilised his height very well to control Hominick. Carmont-Lawlor fight was quite a mess. I think Lawlor won that one. Hendricks was spot on, timing his power punch perfectly. I thought Kampmann would be tougher than that though, since we see him battered and bruised early all the time and still managed to win fights. And the main event was real fun. Old skool GSP with powerful takedowns and excellent ground control. Condit was great too, very technical striking. And now....let's just wait for the two very awesome December cards!

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #492 of 1,080
GSP has a weak chin, if Hendricks can land a shot like he did with the Hitman, he can drop GSP for sure. If you're gonna beat GSP, you'll need to beat him at standup. His standup is good but not great. I think he relies on takedowns and ground control to seize wins. 

I really wanted Condit to finish him when he landed that shot, but oh well. 

John Makdessi, that guy is on my list of fighters to watch for. I really like his style. His head movement and range was spot on. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #493 of 1,080
I was an instant Hendricks fan, GSP's style isn't as appealing to me but I have to respect his work ethic. Condit's kick to the side of his head was awesome.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #494 of 1,080
GSP has a weak chin, if Hendricks can land a shot like he did with the Hitman, he can drop GSP for sure. If you're gonna beat GSP, you'll need to beat him at standup. His standup is good but not great. I think he relies on takedowns and ground control to seize wins. 

I really wanted Condit to finish him when he landed that shot, but oh well. 

John Makdessi, that guy is on my list of fighters to watch for. I really like his style. His head movement and range was spot on. 

I agree on GSP's chin. He just can't seem to take hard punches as well as someone like Diaz or Hunto etcetera. I also agree that the way to beat GSP is through stand up. However, if GSP decides that it's going to be a grappling war instead of a stand up, it probably is going to become a gappling war. His MMA wrestling is ridiculous.

However, those looping overhand punches are probably the easiest punches to avoid through wrestling. GSP knows this, and would probably shoot as soon as Hendricks would be in any kind of distance for throwing them hands. However, Hendricks's punches aren't the interesting parts of a fight against GSP, but more so the stuff he hasn't already shown. As I said, I think Hendricks need to showcase other talents in order to beat GSP rather than those grenades he has for hands.

Hehe, ny now I think you've noticed that I am big fan of his (much more so the old GSP that actually punished people instead of fighting safe), but I try to see it as objectively as I can. I am also a big fan of Hendricks as well.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #495 of 1,080
While GSP's style isn't highlight reel worthy, it's definitely evolved into a pretty effective winning strategy.  He really doesn't have knock out power, but he does a good amount of damage when he's in top position after taking his opponents down. 

Honestly, I thought GSP was finished after he got caught by Condit's kick in the third round, but he calmly recovered due to his superior ground game when Condit tried to finish him.  Pretty impressive after GSP's long lay off.  Given how so many of my friend's are GSP fans, the room fell completely silent after that head kick while watching the PPV live. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back