The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #556 of 2,052
What does "more bass" then the Original "C"s actually mean?
Can you be more specific?
Does the bass bleed into the mids, for example?
The bass i like is extended but not pronounced.
Many of us want to hear the bass, but we dont want a headphone that has a pronounced bass response.
This is why many who love the HD6 series, dont enjoy the HD650.
The reviewers here are not talking about bass extension, they are instead describing BIG BASS.
That's bass head terminology.
And for me, im not into piling up the mesh between my ears and a speaker to try to deal with a freq. issue.
I want to take them out of the box, and they sound their best.
So, it seems that these, right out of the box, are bassy.
Feel like this has been covered for pages :p

@mrspeakers No, not what I want! Just ol fashioned Australian piss taking. I had the Aeon 1 C, needed more bass impact, otherwise was a really nice headphone. And are we to expect a Ether 2 Closed type can soon? Or the Aeon 2 taking that spot?

I think I have decided to buy these, just waiting for my house to sell. Going to pair with a iFi iDSD Micro BL.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #557 of 2,052
What does "more bass" then the Original "C"s actually mean?
Can you be more specific?
Does the bass bleed into the mids, for example?
The bass i like is extended but not pronounced.
Many of us want to hear the bass, but we dont want a headphone that has a pronounced bass response.
This is why many who love the HD6 series, dont enjoy the HD650.
The reviewers here are not really talking about bass extension, they are instead describing BIG BASS.
That's bass head terminology.
And for me, im not into piling up the synthetic mesh between my ears and a speaker to try to deal with a freq. issue.
I want to take them out of the box, and they sound their best.
So, it seems that these, right out of the box, are bassy. (if the reviews are correct).

I suggest you buy them, burn them in, and try them out with your components.
If you think they are too bass heavy, simply send them back.
You can listen to others opinions all day long, but ultimately your ears have to make the decision.
Just my 2 cents.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #558 of 2,052
Personally, I wouldn't call it a basshead can, which implies a level of boost that would be inconsistent with how I try to voice. The best way I can say it is that I try to deliver a balanced experience that feels live..

"feels live".
So, in your perspective, feeling the bass, or, in the case of the new AEON C, adding more bass vs the lean bass of the previous incarnation, creates a more "Live" sound that your new closed headphones are designed to offer...is this what you are saying?
I think a recent reviewer stated your A2C's bass sound is "fun".
Ok, well, for those who like a live and fun bass sound, this should be great.
For me, i prefer a natural and accurate bass sound, more clinical and extended vs "feels good".
But thats just me....:)
I need all my headphones to work as studio monitors, and a fun and live bass (EQ) not going to work for this situation, as i need the bottom end to be more about accuracy then "fun" or "live".
Im sure its a very fine set of headphones, as the Original was very good, and this one, will best it......no doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #559 of 2,052

Well, i was looking for your particular point of view.
Im aware that there are many pages here where people are mentioning the bass response.
Was looking for a bit deeper dialog about it then "fun", "more then the Aion C".....etc.
Ive read all that 456 times.
Just looking for something less generic.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #560 of 2,052
The Aeon 1 bass was fine. It extended deep, but you could hear it, but not feel it or it wasn't very engaging I guess.

Everyone is just saying the Aeon 2 bass is more engaging and impactful. It doesn't appear to be elevated, so unlikely they are a bassy headphone, no TH900 or or Z1R.

Plus you get tuning pads.

Aeon 1 C most people seem to like the White 1 notch. I preferred the Black Foams. So you have some flexibility there too.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #561 of 2,052
I suggest you buy them, burn them in, and try them out with your components.
If you think they are too bass heavy, simply send them back.
You can listen to others opinions all day long, but ultimately your ears have to make the decision.
Just my 2 cents.

Well, its like i said before... when i was on the Audeze LCD1 thread..... what i do, is look for similarities within reviews.
As ive learned that if everybody is talking about one particular situation with any gear, but especially headphones...then you can bet that there is a reason.
Um, i normally dont buy headphones from vendors who demand restocking charges, ... and, i try to keep everything i buy.
So even with Dan's restocking charge, i'd keep the gear.. But, at this point, if the pages keep piling up here that talk about "bass"....... i would probably wait a while.
Eventually Zreviews, or InnerFidelity is going to review them, and if they are punching in the same commentary about the extra bass, then.......:)

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #562 of 2,052
The Aeon 1 bass was fine. It extended deep, but you could hear it, but not feel it or it wasn't very engaging I guess.

Everyone is just saying the Aeon 2 bass is more engaging and impactful. It doesn't appear to be elevated, so unlikely they are a bassy headphone, no TH900 or or Z1R.

Plus you get tuning pads.

Aeon 1 C most people seem to like the White 1 notch. I preferred the Black Foams. So you have some flexibility there too.

I dont use anything between a set of headphones and my ears, that isn't built into the headset.
im not a believer in paying for pads to deal with what i dont like.
I dont mod headphones.
I want them to sound their best right out of the box, and better with burn in time commitment.
Dan is a headphone geek. He is a modder. This is his world, his obsession, so, to him, creating a means to alter frequency is the best of all worlds.
This is a quite valid concept that will work for most people here, as so many love to mod their headphones.
Dan makes this easy to do.....
Im just not a believer...
No harm, no foul.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #563 of 2,052
:beerchug:

@mrspeakers No, not what I want! Just ol fashioned Australian piss taking. I had the Aeon 1 C, needed more bass impact, otherwise was a really nice headphone.

And are we to expect a Ether 2 Closed type can soon? Or the Aeon 2 taking that spot?

I think I have decided to buy these, just waiting for my house to sell. Going to pair with a iFi iDSD Micro BL.

good for you “Mate!” :beerchug: I think Dans explanation is consistent with our customers opinions to date. I’ve heard most responses or experiences from our customers. I’ve really only heard 1 opinion that deviated from Dans and most posts here. I’m sure they all varied to a slight degree and I recall that one that stated he’d like more bass. The A2O & A2C both have more bass presence than the previous iterations

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #564 of 2,052
I dont use anything between a set of headphones and my ears, that isn't built into the headset.

I'm pretty sure we *all* understand that at this point.

The pads come with the 'phones. Yes, you're paying for them in the overall purchase price, but they are not an option you have to pay extra for. I prefer the sound with no pads at all, but we all have our own preferences and ancillary equipment.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #565 of 2,052
I dont mod headphones.
I want them to sound their best right out of the box, and better with burn in time commitment.
Dan is a headphone geek. He is a modder. This is his world, his obsession, so, to him, creating a means to alter frequency is the best of all worlds.
This is a quite valid concept that will work for most people here, as so many love to mod their headphones.
Dan makes this easy to do.....
Im just not a believer...
No harm, no foul.
You are in the wrong thread then bud. Go buy a set of SR009 and be done with it.

These boutique companies are tweakers and tinkerers (though Aeon has unique pads that are glued on....). Most people here are into that.

And @TSAVJason , almost got the lingo. Came off a bit condescending, but almost :p

Try "Good on ya mate" :p

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #566 of 2,052
:beerchug:

good for you “Mate!” :beerchug: I think Dans explanation is consistent with our customers opinions to date. I’ve heard most responses or experiences from our customers. I’ve really only heard 1 opinion that deviated from Dans and most posts here. I’m sure they all varied to a slight degree and I recall that one that stated he’d like more bass. The A2O & A2C both have more bass presence than the previous iterations

I’ve been dying to hear more reviews of the A2O. It sounds like you’ve heard it. Care to share a few short thoughts on it?

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #567 of 2,052
I'm pretty sure we *all* understand that at this point.

I only listen to acoustic guitar. That I am playing. Nothing between the original source of the sound, and my ear. No 1s, no 0s, no tubes, amps, resisters, codecs, cables. I draw the line where I want, and that is it.

Every component between the source and your ears alters the sound. Why draw the line at how the headphone coming out of a box. I bet you happily change other aspects from the headphone back?

Aeon tuning pads work. They are a good addition.

I actually bought my Aeon 1 before the tuning pads, they originally only came with the black foams.

@mrspeakers One thing with the original Aeon, was my ears would touch the black foam insert, but fine with no insert. Are the pads / spacing better on this revision?

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #568 of 2,052
I only listen to acoustic guitar. That I am playing. Nothing between the original source of the sound, and my ear. No 1s, no 0s, no tubes, amps, resisters, codecs, cables. I draw the line where I want, and that is it.

Then what do you use headphones for?

Every component between the source and your ears alters the sound. Why draw the line at how the headphone coming out of a box. I bet you happily change other aspects from the headphone back?

Sure I do. And?

Aeon tuning pads work. They are a good addition.

I merely stated that I preferred the sound without the pads. Sorry if stating my preference offends you somehow.

I actually bought my Aeon 1 before the tuning pads, they originally only came with the black foams.

As did I. I preferred the 1's without the foam pads too. Apologies in advance.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #570 of 2,052
Then what do you use headphones for?

Sure I do. And?

I merely stated that I preferred the sound without the pads. Sorry if stating my preference offends you somehow.

As did I. I preferred the 1's without the foam pads too. Apologies in advance.
Was aimed at fullbright bud, not you :p

To me the black foams made the Aeon 1 sound a touch more natural, just didn't like they touched my ears a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back