The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 13, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #616 of 2,052
Dec 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #617 of 2,052
If a tube amp is in your consideration, the Schiit Lyr 3 makes beautiful music with the A2C's. Plenty of power and a very synergistic match IMO.

I was considering the Lyr 3. Thanks for the info. It is just what I wanted to hear. Seems my amp considerations have gravitated toward how well they will pair with the Aeon 2 closed.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #618 of 2,052
I was considering the Lyr 3. Thanks for the info. It is just what I wanted to hear. Seems my amp considerations have gravitated toward how well they will pair with the Aeon 2 closed.

The Lyr 3 is my favorite piece of Schiit. :slight_smile: Lots of fun to be had rolling tubes....if you want. But not necessary to get it to sing.
9+ watts into the 13 ohm impedance of the A2C's makes them very happy. :relaxed:

upload_2019-12-13_19-48-45.png

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #619 of 2,052
I got together with a few other audio nuts to try some amps out with the A2c's out last night. I wanted to find the best amp for me. Disclaimer, we had had a few drinks :).

I used balanced cables where I could.

This is what we tried out with the A2c's and a general feeling:

Amp's
  • Questile CMA400I, sounds relay nice, smooth fast and detailed, Cuts out at higher volumes (75Db+) due to the IEM protection, it thinks these are IEM due to the low impedance. 3/5
  • Schiit Joteunhime, Sounds relay nice too, Cant find a fault apart from it is too big for my desk. 4/5
  • Masdrop THX 789, my second choice, Drives them well, in fact probably over powered. 4/5
  • SMSL SP200, Absolutely brilliant. I placed an order within half an hour of listening to this amp. Going to use my Questile DAC stage to start with. 5/5
  • Shanling M0, OMG this little dap can actually drive these cans, Sounded OK too.
Strange thing, The SP200 sounded the same balanced and single ended ! But ether way it sounded nice.

DAC's
  • Mojo Poly combo, Relay nice. My second choice
  • IBasso dx220, Amp1.v2 5/5, Amp8, 5/5 Amp9 (not up to it) 2/5
  • AK70Mk2, only just able to drive them well, Insufficient voltage to get the base Right.
  • Hibby R6, Sounded nice, felt like insufficient volts to drive the base competently, probably me though.

We have more kit but at this point the drink got the better of us :).

The A2c's just sound brilliant on just about anything. I suspect the tuning and Planar magnetic speed just make up for AMP issues. Just dont use an amp that is too clever and thinks they are IEM's :frowning2:.

So my new S.M.S.L SP200 THX AAA-888 is turning up tomorrow :) all I need now is a DAC with balanced RCA's out to go with it. Any advice gratefully accepted ...

Dan deserves the big sales on these, job well don.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #620 of 2,052
Oh forgot to mention the Loxjie p20, This amp was tubey but not relay up to the job. It distorted quite early at around 40Db. Dident like it much. it could be down to the tubes though.
Want to try the Schiit Lyr 3 though.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #622 of 2,052
So my new S.M.S.L SP200 THX AAA-888 is turning up tomorrow :) all I need now is a DAC with balanced RCA's out to go with it. Any advice gratefully accepted ...

Dan deserves the big sales on these, job well don.

I use the Grace SDAC Balanced which is a simple, no frills but capable little dac that has served me well pairing with the THX789.

Other options to consider (depending on your needs/budget):

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 Pro
SMSL SU-8
Topping D70/Dx7s/Dx7Pro

The good news is that you are never going to be short for options. Each of the ones i listed can be had for under $500. Havent tried any but reviews are positive for all of the above.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #625 of 2,052
Hi, I want to know you guys how do you decide open or close version?

Comes down to personal preferences and needs, really. In general, closed 'phones don't let much sound out (if you need to keep from disturbing nearby people) and don't let as much external sound in (if you're in a noisy environment). Open 'phones let more sound in and out, but typically are better at soundstaging and ambience and sound more, well, open. The A2C's do a remarkable job with the soundstage thing for a closed 'phone. I haven't heard the A2 Opens, but would imagine they take that to even the next level.

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #626 of 2,052
I use the Grace SDAC Balanced which is a simple, no frills but capable little dac that has served me well pairing with the THX789.

Other options to consider (depending on your needs/budget):

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 Pro
SMSL SU-8
Topping D70/Dx7s/Dx7Pro

Thanks for the suggestions man.

The Grace SDAC is so close to what I want but I can not get it in the UK without paying silly money. The Enog2 pro seems to be the sam, I do like the SMSL SU8 that is a contender.
The Topping devices seem a bit out of my budget now I have spent nearly $300 on the amp :). Rip off UK prices strikes again.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #627 of 2,052
The Lyr 3 is my favorite piece of Schiit. :slight_smile: Lots of fun to be had rolling tubes....if you want. But not necessary to get it to sing.
9+ watts into the 13 ohm impedance of the A2C's makes them very happy. :relaxed:

Sold! Just ordered one. Just for kicks I Ran my Kann Cube LO to a Vali 2 Holy Schiit! If this is just a preview the Lyr 3 is gonna put me in musical bliss.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #628 of 2,052
That’s so much power it could drive a full size horn speaker. Lol

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 14, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #629 of 2,052
Yea, honestly I don't find the A2C (now the open may benefit more) very difficulty to drive. I've gone back and forth between a couple different amps, straight out of a portable player, tube/solid amps...the difference to my ears is very minor ( now I'm talking difference in sound, not potential volume) . My ears aren't what they used to be, so take that with a grain of salt. This isn't like some Senn HD600/650 where a tube amp is almost necessary. A2C seems pretty forgiving with the power it needs.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #630 of 2,052
Yea, honestly I don't find the A2C (now the open may benefit more) very difficulty to drive. I've gone back and forth between a couple different amps, straight out of a portable player, tube/solid amps...the difference to my ears is very minor ( now I'm talking difference in sound, not potential volume) . My ears aren't what they used to be, so take that with a grain of salt. This isn't like some Senn HD600/650 where a tube amp is almost necessary. A2C seems pretty forgiving with the power it needs.

Yeah, the Vali 2 does a fantastic job and is rated 1000mw @ 32ohm.
Edit: Using a JJ gold pin and it sounds awesome feeding it with a Kann Cube and Tidal 60 tracks in on a 320 track playlist of rock classics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back