The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #24,436 of 28,992
The HD 800 has a wider soundstage than most speakers also. Focal might have done this on purpose since I assume they try to come as close to speakers as possible.

If the Utopia sounds compressed, then the problem is the equipment used.

1) You're assuming that wider = problem.

2) You're generalising speakers.

3) I've made it quite clear it's my preference.

4) The HD800 emulate the soundstage when producing/mixing with near/mid field monitors.

Enjoy your Utopias! I'll buy a pair this week if I like them, should be hearing them tomorrow.

Adios.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #24,437 of 28,992
Just got done with my Utopia demo.  Wow.  

I'll say first, they're the best sounding "out of the box" headphones I've ever heard.  BY A LONG SHOT.  Like nothing else is even close.  What I mean by that is their ability to come straight out, without needing to tailor a system around them, and sound jaw droppingly good is stunning.  They sounded better out of the headphone jack of my iPhone than an HD800 sounds out of a lot of mediocre setups I've heard at meets.

Without crossfeed I even preferred the Utopia's soundstage.  It, while not huge, was much more "realistic and cohesive" of a soundstage to my ears.  It sounded like a medium sized jazz club.  Or, in another manner of thinking, it kind of sounded like you were sitting a little too close to premium quality speakers.  There was this sensation of being just inside the sweetspot of a great speaker setup.  The HD800, by comparison, sounds kind of like listening to ultra high quality nearfield monitors that are setup too far apart.  

dynamic punch was a draw to me.  The Utopia was a bit overexcited at times, whereas the HD800 always sounded right to me.  Take note that the TorpedoIII is an ultra-dynamic amp once maxed out.  

frequency response, unaltered, was no contest.  THe utopia had a sense of balance that while not 100% neutral, was much more "natural" than the HD800.  It maybe came off a bit U-shaped, but with no peaks whatsoever, just a very gentle U curve similar to most high quality speaker rigs.  Bass was delicious, mids were sweet, and treble was present and extended without ever being in your face.

detail was mostly a draw.  

Now, when I compared the Utopia to my HD800 optimized in my system, I still prefered the HD800.  The soudnstage was a bit more immersive when crossfeed was applied.  THe utopia also benefitted from crossfeed, but not to the extent the HD800 did.  The plug-in I use for widening soundstage helped the Utopia quite a bit, as I was able to expand the width, and pushes the sides away, to get more of a flat, large stage with the Utopia than it's stock "hemispherical" stage.  But the HD800 was still better.  After applying sonarworks, the Utopia's advantage in frequency response went away, and they pulled into a dead heat.  Further, with the TorpedoIII, the Utopia may have almost been *too* punchy.  It sounded better in some ways with the Grace m9XX than it did with the TIII.  At one point I put the iDAC6 (which has a very punchy output stage to it) with the TopredoIII and Utopia.  I put on the new Metallica album and it basically exploded out of the system.  It could be fun, but it gave me difficulty in finding the right volume level.  I'd say it was a bit fatiguing in that setup.  Not harsh at all, but just so punchy that it almost wore your eardrums out.  

HD800 also won on comfort, though I wouldn't call the Utopia uncomfortable by any means.

Putting this all together, I think Utopia is probably "objectively" a better headphone.  It's a bit unfair to compare it to a system I've spent about a year optimizing for the HD800.  But the HD800 was able to surpass it by a hair when placed in that optimized system.  If I put the same effort into optimizing a system for the Utopia? Maybe it nudges back ahead, or maybe it doesn't.  But to me the biggest strength of the Utopia is that it doesn't really need to be optimized in the way the HD800 does.  It just goes, straight out, and blows you away.  I have some doubts on the Utopia "scaling" with really exotic amps.  To my ears it sounds like it just needs a clean, low output impedance amp.  Nothing particularly fancy.  Now maybe when people do more experimenting, some heretefore unimaginable synergy will pop up with some amps.  It does benefit from a great DAC.  WHile I had the option of borrowing a Yggy for this test, that ended up not really being an option because it would have had to wait 4 days to warm up, lol.  Instead I was able to compare it using the DAC on my iPhone, the Dragonfly Red, iDAC6, AudioEngine D1 m9XX and Modi Multibit.  It really shined with the Modi Multibit, lovingly reproducing all the microdetail the ModiMultibit could feed it.  The small flaws of the DAC on the Dragonfly Red were immediately apparent ( a bit oversharpened edges and a flat soundstage) in comparison to the better DACs.  The iDAC6, like mentioned above, was almost too punch for the Utopia unless paired with a less punchy amp.  It sounded Sublime with the m9XX while also pointing out the way the m9XX does smooth over a few microdetails (in comparison to a top line R2R DAC, the m9XX is still near the top in terms of Delta Sigma DACs).  But the Utopia was thoroughly enjoyable, if not astounding out of EVERYTHING.  

Again, I'm not exagerating when I say the Utopia straight out of an iPhone sounds better than a LOT of HD800 setups I've heard.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #24,441 of 28,992
On another note, the HD800 is really making me seek out more vocal music.  It gives the human voice so much more realism and detail than I'm used to, and really displays the talent alot of these vocalists have.  I listen to Sinatra alot more than I usually do.  The guy had an amazing voice.  The older singers are more impressive, because there wasn't any digital processing or added sibilance.  Sounds alot more natural.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #24,445 of 28,992
  Great review.  Utopia definitely had a warm, inviting tone that was very captivating.   

I would say the Utopia's are spot on neutral and warm when compared to the brighter HD800. 
redface.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #24,446 of 28,992
The HD800 do sound closest to active studio monitors, i have the Neumann KH120 which are superb by the way, and they sound pretty similar.
It's a polarizing type of sound, you either like it or hate it, i hated the Grado sound (no offense to anyone) as it sounded too "romantic snd warm", it's musical for sure but not enjoyable to me.
Extreme clarity and detail level is what i find most enjoyable.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #24,447 of 28,992
The HD800 do sound closest to active studio monitors, i have the Neumann KH120 which are superb by the way, and they sound pretty similar.
It's a polarizing type of sound, you either like it or hate it, i hated the Grado sound (no offense to anyone) as it sounded too "romantic snd warm", it's musical for sure but not enjoyable to me.
Extreme clarity and detail level is what i find most enjoyable.

Your studio monitors do not have that 6kHz spike...that's the issue with the HD800 headphones. I owned them for 6+ years but the last couple I ended up avoiding so many recordings because I could go cross eyed. The HD800S have "fixed" this, but the Utopia are the most "neutral" that I've heard/owned. Sound staging, nothing beats the HD800/HD800S (not even the Abyss...which have some other issues that really hold them back for me).

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #24,449 of 28,992
The Focal utopia doesn't sound compressed. Atleast not on my setup.

I think I'm the one who originally stated the Utopia sounds compressed compared to the HD800. And perhaps I exaggerated a little so let me explain myself.

Orchestras are large and spread out. With symphonic metal, you may have a choir added along with the bands guitars, percussion and lead singer so there can be a lot going on at one time. My personal preference for such material is a headphone that can emulate more space and spread things out like the HD800. The Utopia is wonderful for everything else.

The Utopia has great detail, tone and separation, you can hear everything so it's not really compressed. Everything's just confined to a slightly smaller area.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #24,450 of 28,992
I wonder if a 2-way coaxial driver would work for headphones. It seems like headphones all have a major issue of random frequency spikes due to a single driver being tasked with the entire 1-20KHz range (a high end reference monitor will generally target +/- 1db across 40Hz-20KHz, whereas even totl headphones it's not unusual for 10+ db spikes across the audible band). Maybe a high end hybrid headphone with a planar driver for bass and a dynamic driver for mids and highs would be ideal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back