The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #24,841 of 28,992

Make sure to give us your impressions of it when burned in in comparison to your stock cable?

I been eyeing a silver Lavricable myself, but a bit uneasy about the quality of the final product since it's from China & has no reviews.

Will do. Although as I only have this one balanced HD800 cable I'm not going to be able to tell how much is the move from SE to balanced via the V281.

I can already hear more detail, and more importantly, more realistic details. Imaging is most certainly better too.

Lavricable is EU based; Latvia.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #24,843 of 28,992
  I have had the Master 14 SE from Lavricable for the last year- it's simply Awesome !

Having had Toxic Cable's Silver Widow previously, I am inclined to agree. These are very, very good cables.

Build quality is top notch too @Thenewguy007, no need to worry there. It took 2 weeks to get to me, but that was over Xmas/New Year and I also requested gold Neutrik connectors which had to be ordered in. Considering other companies are taking 3-6 (!) months (hint: you need more staff), one can consider that lightning fast :¬)

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #24,845 of 28,992

Having had Toxic Cable's Silver Widow previously, I am inclined to agree. These are very, very good cables.

Build quality is top notch too @Thenewguy007, no need to worry there. It took 2 weeks to get to me, but that was over Xmas/New Year and I also requested gold Neutrik connectors which had to be ordered in. Considering other companies are taking 3-6 (!) months (hint: you need more staff), one can consider that lightning fast :¬)

Do you find the pure silver to add brightness to the 800 (or 800S)?

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #24,848 of 28,992

It's added air, clarity and resolution (treble sounds more natural). No brightness whatsoever (I'm very sensitive to it and can't touch stock HD800's with a barge pole). Sonarworks sorts all that out and brings the HD800 surprisingly in-line with my professional studio monitors. 

Next thing on my list is to use @fjrabon 's cross feed / speaker emulation settings (CanOpener / Mid Side) as my own starting points to see how close I can really get them. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #24,849 of 28,992

It's added air, clarity and resolution (treble sounds more natural). No brightness whatsoever (I'm very sensitive to it and can't touch stock HD800's with a barge pole). Sonarworks sorts all that out and brings the HD800 surprisingly in-line with my professional studio monitors. 

Next thing on my list is to use @fjrabon 's cross feed / speaker emulation settings (CanOpener / Mid Side) as my own starting points to see how close I can really get them. 

yep, one of the great things about sonarworks is you don't have to use gear that pulls away resolution in order to make it less bright.  You can go for pure fidelity with cables and amps without needing euphonic distortion to make the HD800 less bright.  

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #24,851 of 28,992

Yeah, I would think silver is to be avoided with this headphones, unless maybe the amp does a good job of shaving the brightness.  But I have silver interconnects and they definitely sound more realistic than copper, so I see why people want silver.

I have to disagree here. The DHC Silver Complement4 (silver cable) was an audible upgrade to my Forza Audio HPC Noir (copper cable). Both excellent cables in their budget, but a silver cable "done right" matches perfectly with the HD800.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #24,852 of 28,992
Just picked up my HD800's this week and I'm REALLY happy with them. I had tried them out and then went back and bought them, after recognizing how well they sounded. I did a bit of A/B testing with a couple of Audeze, ZMF, AKG, Fostex, and probably others I can't recall. I'm currently listening through an Apogee Duet, which I've had for years and it sounds phenomenal. 

I have tried the HD800's with a couple of tube amps- the MicroZotl2, Woo WA7 Fireflies, and Schiit Lyr2. All sounded amazing. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #24,853 of 28,992
Jan 4, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #24,855 of 28,992
Goodhertz Update! Found these settings to be optimal for my setup (V281, HD800, SWR3).

CanOpener

MidSide

Edit: The third value from the left (Side tilt gain) is actually -1dB. Not sure why it was +1 in this screenshot.

Marvellous! Most certainly sounds more like my studio monitors. Much more natural.

Cheers @fjrabon for the nudge and starting points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back